Ordered a second zoom...

gateway

<p>After years away from Nikon photography-including manual capabilty w/ a film camera, I began ordering equipment this month, and wanted two zooms! Some of us have felt 'stuck' in prime land in the past-due to little money and concerned about quality. The zoom fever has to be cured! The kids are about grown and up to this point-I've never collected anything in the quality 'zoom' lens department. We've got to follow our own course, and not be too swayed by the whims or preferences of others, right? Fortunately, there's plenty of used gear floating around. However, the 9 or 9+ in condition are important to me. A seller 'return' policy is worth a few bucks extra, too!</p>

<p>Here's the lineup so far, N90S, <strong>Nikon AF 24-70 F3.5-4.5 D</strong>, and <strong>Nikon AF 70-210 F4-5.6</strong> (non D). Thinking ahead already-either a Nikon AF 50mm 1.4, or Nikon AF 28mm 2.8. Also, started collecting various 'mint' Hoya and Nikon filters including UV or Skylight, and CP.</p>

<p>Anyone using either or both of these two lenses? Or, what zoom do you enjoy? Photos will follow next week...</p>

<p>Haven't tried those particular Nikkors you mentioned, but did have a 28-85/3.5-4.5 AF Nikkor that was very good. It was a popular kit zoom bundled with the N6006 during the 1990s. I kept it until my bag experienced mid-range zoom overload.</p>

<p>With most zooms no matter the opinions or ratings, there's usually a sweet spot of middle focal length range and middle aperture range where they'll deliver very good results. The rest is up to us and the lab doing the processing.</p>

<p>Is that actually <strong>28</strong> -70/3.5-4.5 D? I've never heard of a <strong>24</strong> -70/3.5-4.5. Enjoy your new lenses. One of my favorite Pentax lenses is the 24-90/3.5-4.5 so if I ever shot Nikon AF film, I'd likely seek a similar Nikkor 24-85/3.5-4.5.</p>