Dream Photography Project

<p>I would remain in the Louisiana area and document plants, people and the disappearing coast along the Gulf Coast. I know of a couple of carniv. bogs that are disappearing due to polution, overgrowth and people to start, then head west toward Texas. There is so much, so many places, might as well start here. The Disappearing United States.</p>

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<p>i would probally buy a bunch of front row tickets to a bunch of country stars that i wanna see and get some really good shots! i've already got a photo i took into keith urban's 2010 calendar and dierks bentley has photo copies of my work that he asked me personally for :)</p>

<p>I have to admit I initially struggled with greed on this "what if?" There are any number of astonishing places that I'd give my eye-teeth to photograph for my own personal pleasure (Victoria Falls, the Great Barrier Reef, the Serengeti, Antarctica, etc...) All have been explored, photographed, and reported on extensively. I had to ask myself what, when I finished documenting, would I be most proud of? What would carry the most meaning - not just for me, but for an audience? <br>

I came to the conclusion that if I was given the opportunity to photograph anything that my heart desired, I'd chronicle how well or how poorly our Veteran's Administration health care system - specifically set up to care for our wounded Veterans - actually serves them. How we treat those who ensured the freedom of our nation and ensured the freedom of nations not their own is, in my mind, very telling of the thankfulness of a people. A side story would be the history of those veterans that I followed through the system. This would not be designed to be a story on either socialized medicine or corporate profits - just a photo story about people; and how we, as a nation, treat them. I wouldn't set out with any preconceived notions other than wanting to bring to light the good, the bad, and the ugly for the benefit of those to whom we owe so much. <br>

Regarding the photo gear involved, I think the most important gear for this assignment would not be exotic lenses (except for the occasional micro shot), but rather some portable studio lighting equipment. Photo gear would consist of a Nikon D700, 14-24, 50mm f1.4, a couple other wide primes, 70-210 f2.8 VRII, SB-900, and remotes. Since my laptop is on its last legs I'll probably have to spring for one of those also. <br>

Great question, and some really interesting answers!</p>

<p>I'm open for anything, anywhere, anytime. I have fantasized of a photographing the ''Old Florida'' before it gets swallowed up by what many call progress. Also would like to do a cross country trip of ''off the beaten track'' in the Spring or Fall. How many of us have dreamed of being a National Geographic Photographer? Then there is the all day/night shoot at the Playboy Mansion:)</p>

<p>I would return to Haiti to continue the work I began there in 2006, working with The Lazarus Project<br>

( www.lazarusprojecthaiti.org). The children and the people of Haiti are remarkable... filled with hope and tremendous strength, even in the face of abject poverty and desperation.<br>

I would follow the lives of the subjects I photographed then and add to their stories, as uplifting or disturbing as those stories might be. I would work to get the images exhibited and published, as I did in 2007 and 2008. The world's attention will soon be diverted from Haiti and the rock star news anchors will fly home or on the next assignment. Then, the people of Haiti will need our attention and our help more than ever.<br>

Neil Colton<br><div>00VYYd-212159684.jpg.854d333aed3214430c00992d17f3036c.jpg</div>

<p>To record a trip of a lifetime, I've often commented: If I could only chose one camera in my collection, it would be my Stereo Realist. Nothing captures a scene in a more spectacular fashion, then a stereo camera loaded with Velvia 50 film. Use the $10K purely for the film, travel and a couple more viewers.</p>

<p>Armed with this camera & film; the real challenge would be to make the images <strong>more than ordinary</strong>, while hitting the typical European points of interest...</p><div>00VYqI-212317684.JPG.357b02aa70f004538ab2bcb90a3402ac.JPG</div>

<p>I've actually been thinking about this a lot lately! My cousin and I have been working on a World War II project documenting local veteran's stories and photographing them for a coffee-table book we're putting together. As a follow-up this summer, I would LOVE to be able to spend three weeks following the footsteps of my grandfather in Africa, Italy, and France. He was in the 85th Division of the Army in 1944-45. My cousin and I would write about and photograph the sites and people. And coming back we'd put together a second book about the pilgrimage. Just looking for the money and a roundtrip ticket:) </p>

<p>I have never been to Haiti, but my heart goes out to them for the suffering they have seen and they shock they are going through. I'm sure there have been thousands of pictures of their plight, but if I could be on the ground there for a few days I know I could find stories and pictures that have not yet been explored. That would be my dream assignment</p>

After reading a good portion of the responses I would have to agree with those folks who said they would stay home.  In the military I traveled around the world. Calif., Hawaii, Guam, Diego Garcia, Somolia, Morrocco and a few Caribbean Islands (the short list) and I would have to say I too would stay home and shoot the flora and fauna of southern MS. 

We have rivers, swamps, great sunsets and sunrises and loads of history, not to mention the Barrier Islands off the coast.  I have been working on trying to shoot the islands the last couple of years. I actually started before Hurricane Katrina. 

Anyway with the money I could hire a chopper to fly over all these scenic places then get a boat or what ever vehical I needed to get in to them.  As far as the closet of equip. I agree with the Marine I would only take what I can carry. I have most of what I need.  I could use a another body and 1 or 2 more lenses and a good tripod.  Well thats about it so, good luck y'all and I wish y'all safe travel. </p>

<p>After reading a good portion of the responses I would have to agree with those folks who said they would stay home. In the military I traveled around the world. Calif., Hawaii, Guam, Diego Garcia, Somolia, Morrocco and a few Caribbean Islands (the short list) and I would have to say I too would stay home and shoot the flora and fauna of southern MS. We have rivers, swamps, great sunsets and sunrises and loads of history, not to mention the Barrier Islands off the coast. I have been working on trying to shoot the islands the last couple of years. I actually started before Hurricane Katrina. Anyway with the money I could hire a chopper to fly over all these scenic places then get a boat or what ever vehical I needed to get in to them. As far as the closet of equip. I agree with the Marine I would only take what I can carry. I have most of what I need. I could use a another body and 1 or 2 more lenses and a good tripod. Well thats about it so, good luck y'all and I wish y'all safe travel. </p>