Earthquake photo sale to magazine - Quick help please

<p>I was in Haiti during the earthquake and took photos before, during, and after the quake. I posted some to Flickr, and a magazine in France want to purchase them for a couple full page spreads. They want exclusivity, and want to know how much I want for them. I have no idea who to ask for help. I want the proceeds to go directly to the orphanage I was helping in Haiti, and I want a fair price. What should I do next? They want to finalize this in 30 min... Any ideas? (the magazine is "Paris Match")</p>

<p>I have removed the shots during the earthquake at their request, but the rest are here: <a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/kiffmeyer/sets/72157623223753680/">http://www.flickr.com/photos/kiffmeyer/sets/72157623223753680/</a></p>

<p>Any thoughts? My main goal is to help the people of Haiti, and if I can generate money for them I would feel I have helped.</p>

<p>James Kiffmeyer<br>

jkiffmeyer@gmail.com</p>

<p>It is a good photo from a D90 of Haitians jumping up and down during the earthquake. You can see dust in the background of a building falling. I don't know whether to ask for $1000 or $20,000...</p>

<p>Thanks for letting me know more about the magazine. I'm trying to contact Scott Kelby, he would know what to do...</p>

<p>It really depend on how unusual your images are and what the magazine will do with them. They should pay a lot more if it is going to be on the cover and a lot less if they are going to be "by the way" type small images that play a small role accompanying an article.</p>

<p>Since they want exclusive rights, they should pay a lot more than a one-time usage fee. Why not ask them how much they are willing to pay?</p>

<p>FWIW, about 10 years ago I talked to famed bird photographer Arthur Morris. Back then some company wanted a couple of his bird images for exclusive useage. Essentially he had to transfer copyright to that company so that he wouldn't own those images any more. He was getting something like US$20K per image. But that could be for commercial advertisement, which can pay a lot more than a magazine.</p>

<p>Shun has a good idea. I know nothing of selling or pricing photos (pure amateur photographer I) but had done a lot of business negotiations in the past. The expression "the first one to name a price loses" is worth paying attention to. Also, the exclusivity should be worth <em><strong>far</strong></em> more than usage rights IMHO.</p>

<p>James,</p>

<p>Tell the magazine your intentions to pass the money directly through to the orphanage. Let them know that you’re happy for them to send the funds to the orphanage directly. If they

have half a clue, they’ll pay top dollar without question.</p>

<p>You might even be able to parlay it into a further fundraising effort, by suggesting that, instead

of a simple payment, the magazine include an offer to match reader contributions.</p>

<p>Let them know that your intention is to get the best deal possible for the orphanage, and ask

their help as experts in such matters in attaining your goal.</p>

<p>Good luck.</p>

<p>b&</p>

<p>Without knowing the usage (placement in the magazine as shun mentions), I would say that 6000 EU is pretty fair. I suppose it might be low for a cover shot, but who knows. Editorial rates are all over the place. At the very least it's a good starting point. But again, that's just going off of my recollection of what I used to haggle for when I was doing more editorial and commercial shooting. And I never had anything printed in a magazine with the kind of circulation that Paris Match.</p>

<p>James, if you can, email me please. I'd like to chat with you about this a bit.</p>

<p>i just hope they really send the money to them...</p>

<p>i would have take a wired transfert to me (well you) and then wired the money myself to the orphanage... just because i dont trust people when money is involve.. but that is me ; )</p>

<p>the good things, is you seem to be OK.. im happy you make a safe trip back home.</p>

<p>James, can I nominate you as a hero of PhotoNet, and as a photographer, but more importantly a hero for Haitians. You've done a very fine thing and I hope that the orphanage will be ressurected and the children aided. Most of us have made only very minor contributions to beautiful Haiti, compared to yours.</p>

<p>I was very touched by the speech of our lady Governor General (head of state), Michaelle Jean, and Haitian-born herself, when she addressed Haitian Canadians a few days ago. I don't think there was a dry eye in the audience, or among those of us hearing the re-broadcast.</p>

<p>Thank you, but let me quickly bow out of the hero category... holding a D90 out the window and squeezing the shutter does not a hero make. I was there to help the orphanage, and to profit off of such a mission would be the height of crime, so donating the money would be the only decent thing.</p>

<p>Regarding the tear sheet, I certainly hope to get one assuming this is legit. If anyone there could send a copy I would greatly appreciate it.</p>

<p>Finally, I fully agree that seeing the money is believing. I am a personal friend with the director of the international organization, so I will know immediately when the money comes in. I will be quick to sue if the money is not donated and they use the image. I have also asked for proof of payment from them asap. The biggest question of course is whether this guy is who he says he is. I know that Jerome Huffer is an editor at Paris Match, but is this guy really Jerome Huffer? And is the reporter who called really a reporter for Paris Match...? So I don't want to give out account information, but that is what they would need to wire money... I will probably just insist on them paying by card or paypal... Any thoughts?</p>

<p> </p>

<p>A card or a bankers check payment is probably safe, and Paypal if they use it. If Paris Match could e-mail you a letterhead confirmation from their Paris office relating to your exchange and that the payment is being made, that would be good. </p>

<p>James you did well. Since you haven't done ths before a copy of the magazine would be an excellent addition to your portfolio too.<br>

On another note. I can't imagine the devastation that you witnessed. I think it is a great thing that you are donating the money to the orphanage. It sure looks like any little bit of $ could help right now!<br>

Thanks,</p>

<p>David Israel</p>

<p>Yes, the devastation was horrific... I wish I was there to help right now instead of safe in the states...</p>

<p>Here is the latest:</p>

<p>Dear James,<br /><br />Some other media all over the world could be interest by your pictures. You can have the opportunity to share them via our network. We have here a syndication desk.<br />Do you want Paris Match to syndicate your pictures?<br />This syndication is usually based on 50-50% agreement. For example, each time a media will use your pictures, you’ll earn 50% of the deal. This part can be payed to you or to Wordsower International.<br />Tell me if you’re interested and I’ll send you a letterhead confirmation with our final agreement, syndication or not.<br /><br />All my best

<br /><br />--<br /><strong>Jérôme Huffer<br /></strong>Paris Match<br />o: +33141348050<br />c: +33623409260

</p>

<p>Good news, James!</p>

<p>Also, if you Google his name and that of Paris Match, as you no doubt have, Monsieur Huffer is seen to be a reporter and also the head of photo services of that magazine, and has a significant track record with them.</p>

<p>I am getting more certain day by day that this is legit, but until there is money in the bank at the nonprofit I will have my doubts... He has promised a letterhead form direct from Paris Match tomorrow. (thanks for the suggestion Arthur) I keep forgetting the time difference, I sleep during his work day, and he sleeps during my evening when I want to work on this... We have agreed to syndication with 50% for the orphanage. (they keep 50%)</p>

<p>Thanks for all the help and encouragement, I'm glad I asked for help here. It's not the first time I've found help at Photo.net, this place is great.</p>