I might have to pull the trigger on Agencies

rod_melotte

<p>Are Stock Agencies worth it for a fine arts photographer that does not have thousands of images? I'm more of an Art Fair kind of guy that does well but would not mind having an extra check now and again. I'm not focused on one particular style so I keep wondering if I should bother, If they ARE worth it are there any better then the other (I knew very basic question) - how about pointing me towards a few of the "known" good one. Thanks Rod</p>

<p> </p>

<p>No.</p>

<p>Nobody would object to having an extra check, but you're not likely to get anywhere with them unless your images are really commercial.</p>

<p>Don't forget the importance of your time! If you're first and foremost a fine art photographer, use your valuable time to get into better galleries! Don't loose sight of your goals for a few "extra checks."</p>

i think youre asking a question that ONLY you can answer. . . "is it worth it?"

there are no "extra" checks in this business, everything comes at a price. . . everything and for those that find it's worth it, there are more checks, none of them are extra, not one, they all have been earned.

As for who's the good ones (stock agencies), depends on what you shoot and how you manage your business. . .

Tony

<p>Rod:</p>

<p>You're welcome.</p>

<p>All of us in photography are climbing career ladders. Thriving means taking the next step up, not starting up completely different ladders each time there's a lull in the action. If you're an "Art Fair kind of guy," you're next step up is to become a "local galleries kind of guy," then a "local museums kind of guy" and so on.</p>

<p>Know your goals and do what you have to in order to climb to the next step.</p>

Rod, i failed to tell you that i think you do nice computer work. your images are cool to look at and i think they have a market someplace. If you want to spend some money maybe contact an agency like agency access and pay them for some advise. . .

I dont use them but i know they can help with this kind of thing. . . again, your photoshop projects are well done. . . i see why youre thinking art, youre kinda following a different path then traditional photography. . . good luck with it, it's nice . . .

<p>there are agencies that deal with more fine art markets and that are more micro agencies rather then the super agencies like Getty ... </p>

<p>im part of a small yet international stock agency that deals with more "fine art " stock... www.win-initiative.com and my personal favorite :) ... www.stockthatdoesntsuck.com :)</p>

<p>hope that helps</p>

<p>Sara</p>