Nikon F3HP vs. FM2N

matthew_nistor

<p>Matthew, it looks like you are confused by the AiS designation... Ai<strong>S</strong> are Ai lenses with two added features that <strong>only </strong><strong>certain</strong> <strong>cameras</strong> enjoy. It is not a limitation, but an extra (and almost useless IMHO) feature.</p>

<p>Also, there are a very few "exotic" lenses that must be used in conjunction with a mirror lock-up feature. This rare Nikkors need free space inside the camera for the rear elements (hence the need of locking up the mirror). The FM2n lacks this feature, then cannot use them (best for your budget).</p>

<p>AiS lenses are also more recent designs, with their advantages. Just to add that some prefer the characteristics of the older Ai lenses, like longer focus throws or better (suposedly) construction. Some of them share the same optical design. That`s all.</p>

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<p>Ai and non-Ai lenses... to make it short it refers to the camera meter linkage system. Earlier non-Ai lenses use a linkage via "rabbit ears", and later Ai lenses use a coupling ridge on the aperture barrel <em>even though they also have that "rabbit ears".</em></p>

<p>The issue with non-Ai lenses is related to their aperture rings. They need <strong>1.</strong>To be modified to avoid damage to <strong>Ai cameras</strong> --or-- <strong>2.</strong>To be only used with certain <strong>Ai&non-Ai</strong> <strong>capable</strong> cameras.</p>

<p>The F3 is an <em>Ai&non-Ai capable</em> camera, and the FM2n is an <em>Ai-only</em> camera.</p>

<p>One of the greatest strengths of the FM2N over the F3 is it requires no batteries. Although people always should, few carry spare batteries with them in their bags. If the battery gives up the ghost on an F3, you have a very pretty <em>paperweight</em>. On the FM2N, all you lose is the meter. Any film photographer really worth his salt should carry a separate hand held meter in their bag anyway. I do not even bother to carry batteries in my F2's any more.</p>

<p>You do have more accessories and flexibility available to you with the F3; ie interchangeable finders, etc. As previously mentioned, the F3 will let you mount non-AI lenses, whereas the FM2N will not. Really not a deal breaker in my opinion. Non AI lenses (mirror lenses excepted) are getting very old and there are a lot of AI and AIS lenses available on sites like Fleabay.</p>

<p>The X-synch on the FM2N is 1/250, whereas it is only 1/80 (same as the F2) for the F3. The FM2N is also smaller and lighter than the F3, and although it certainly should not be a major factor, a lot more attractive (at least in my opinion it is).</p>

<p>I have had the F3 (original, no HP finder) since 1983. Mine is still going strong. There's a very silky feel to the camera, with the large number of ball bearings devoted to the wind mechanism alone. The original LCD panel is still going strong on mine. Battery consumption on this camera is negligible - one set of button cells will last over a year, and what's wrong with carrying extras in the pocket?</p>

<p>Not yet mentioned is that if you ever want to use a shift lens (I have the 28mm f/3.5 PC), the F3 is the ONLY Nikon camera that can meter accurately with a shift lens in any degree of shift. ALL others have to be metered with the lens unshifted first.</p>

<p>I'm a big fan of the FM2, FM2n and in fact have two of them. I've also owned two second or third hand F3s and what the previous poster said about electronics is definitely true. In both F3s, the meters conked out on me entirely. Getting those things repaired is about as expensive as buying another body, in which case you're taking another gamble. Highly recommend anything from FM to FM2 to FM2n based on reliability alone.</p>

<p>Thanks for everyone's opinion. I'm going with the FM2N and later one get the F3HP when I get bored. Is there anything I should look out for specifically when buying a FM2N, in terms of serial #, common issues? Also is there a good resource or explanation on the difference between AI or AIS lenses, it's a bit fuzzy to me, no pun intended!<br>

Matt</p>

<p>I've owned both the F3HP and FM2n, loved both, and only an FE2 remains as my film camera. The FE2 is my favorite. You get auto exp if needed, smaller size vs. the F3, higher flash synch vs. the F3, higher shutter speed vs the F3. The only things I noticed the FE2 could not do vs. the F3 were chg its prism nor could it meter w/ a more concentrated center area (80% vs 60%), which were not concerns for me.<br>

To me, the FE2 is the perfect camera. I never used the FM3a which seems to be a mechanical version of the FE2, but certainly more expensive.<br>

Good luck.</p>

<blockquote>

<p><a href="../photodb/user?user_id=5696388">Matthew Nistor</a> <a href="../member-status-icons"></a>, Jan 14, 2010; 05:55 p.m.<br />Thanks everyone, I'm leaning towards the FE2 now, seems like all the perks of the FM2N plus AP if needed. This is such a great resource, thanks again!</p>

</blockquote>

<p>I had an FE2 with the MD-13 in the 80's and loved it. You won't be disappointed. And if I am not mistaken, it had the capability to change focusing screens, which was a bonus. Just keep spare batteries with you at all times, because it goes through them pretty quickly and gives very little warning what it is getting ready to give up the ghost.</p>

<p>Matt<br>

Hello from Scotland! My humble advice; do consider the FM3a. Someone above mentioned it's pricey; there's a good reason as to why perhaps it's relatively pricey (even here in the UK it'll cost you quite a few pounds to pick up a very good condition FM3a);<br>

it's a marvelous QUALITY manual control camera! <br>

The only real battery requirement is for the metering system (however you can still take photos perfectly happily without the battery installed). It is small and light yet very robust, durable and a relatively modern (not very old) Nikon film camera (Nikon stopped production of this model sometime around 2003/2004 i believe). So, any very good quality 2nd-hand FM3a that you can lay your hands on will be just that, VERY good quality and dependable. In the FM3a you'll have a reliable spot metering system, Aperture Priority, exposure lock, exposure compensation, good ISO and shutter-speed range and TTL flash metering. I have been using AiS and AF-D lenses with my FM3a, i believe Ai lenses are also compatible. Some folks don't like the less than 100% view finder nor the lack of mirror lock-up, but this camera's strength is in it's compactness and in it's mechanical quality ... And with a good quality manual focus lens attached it'll take great photos for you! </p>

<p>Whichever you do decide, enjoy, but do think about the wonderful FM3a (i find it strange that fewer folks recommend this camera, Nikon were brave to try and make a success of this model when they did, i for one thank them for their effort!). </p>

<p>Regards to all,<br>

Donaldo</p>

<p>The F3hp can indeed function without batteries. One activates the shutter by using the lever on the exposure memory lock button on the right side of the camera, below the mirror lock button. It shoots at 1/60 vs. the 1/90 of the FE. (If you have an owner's manual, the instructions are on p. 25.) I love my F3hp - other than the virtually unreadable LED in low light. Adding to what others have mentioned about the build quality and view bright viewfinder, I find that it has a wonderful balance in the hand.</p>

<p>Donaldo, the FM3a doesn't have spot metering, it has 60/40 weighting in the 12mm center circle, which is pretty much the same as all of the other FM/FE series and most other Nikon SLRs, except those with matrix metering or the F3 which is more heavily weighted (80/20) in the center circle.</p>

<p>I once used an FM2 for a shoot couple of days and absolutely hated the viewfinder and metering. I had previous experience with an Olympus OM-2, which is a far superior camera. A good match needle aperture priority mode with easy exposure compensation is a key feature for me.</p>

<p>FE2 is a great camera if all is working. Great meter, A priority, light, solid, but mine and an other one is pretty loud. Best of both worlds is the FM3A combines the FMN2 all manual batteryless speeds with all the electronic speeds of the FE2. On the FE2, if the battery goes, you only have one shooting speed, but...just keep an extra battery around. If you get one, make sure the meter is working. A fast and fun camera.</p>

<p>I've had owned both F3HP and FM2n cameras. The F3 was a smooth-working camera, and for some applications the 100% viewfinder coverage was very useful, as was the aperture priority automatic metering. However, I preferred the 60-40% center-weighted metering and the meter display on the FM2n. In affordability terms the FE2 may be ideal for you, but be sure to get one that is in good condition that looks like it has relatively few miles on it, because electronic failure would be catastrophic vs. just losing the meter on the mechanical FM series.</p>

<p>For me, I like the Aperture-priority mode of the F3HP, and ability to dial in exposure compensation. The viewfinder is the best I have used, as well. I also have both cameras in like-new condition, and the FM2N is one that I would gravitate towards when shooting cold weather. Both cameras are good photographic tools, and making a choice may depend on how much and often you depend on flash. The FM2N has the edge in sync speed, for sure, but it is still a pretty basic camera.</p>

<blockquote>

<p ><a href="../photodb/user?user_id=380414">Oskar Ojala</a><br>

I once used an FM2 for a shoot couple of days and absolutely hated the viewfinder and metering. I had previous experience with an Olympus OM-2, which is a far superior camera. A good match needle aperture priority mode with easy exposure compensation is a key feature for me.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Interesting how different our opinions can be with similar experiences. I used Nikon and Olympus gear side by side for a few years: FM2N, F3HP, OM-1 and OM-2N. As much as I enjoyed the compact size and lighter weight of the OM gear and 49mm filter thread Zuikos, I consistently found the OM viewfinders slightly dimmer than the Nikons and the match needle metering very difficult to use in dim available light or nighttime photography. The FM2N finder seemed brighter and crisper to me, and the red LED meter display was much easier to see in dim lighting. Reportedly some aftermarket focus screens improved the OM finders considerably, but I never tried 'em. I grew up with match needle meter displays and can't say I miss 'em a bit.</p>

<p>I still miss the more compact OM's, in part because none of my Nikons fit my favorite waist pack, the little Lowepro Off Trail. But if I got 'em again I'd probably go for the OM-4T for the more sophisticated viewfinder display, much superior multi-spotmetering option, and exposure compensation controls (compared with the clunky F3 comp dial). I'd still want an OM-1 or OM-1N as a backup, but the non-illuminated match needle meter display is not easy to see in the dim available light and nighttime shooting that make up much of my photography.</p>