me or the lens?

r._bond

<p>

<p>Please note that I am new to photography and just beginning to learn all the technical aspects of photography. I bought a <strong>D90 and Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 XR DiII VC</strong> this past Saturday. I read so many great things about this lens on here and many people recommended it to me, but something just isn't right. Last night, I was trying to take a picture indoors of my husband and I was trying to get a close up of him so of course I had to be pretty close to him to fill the frame with his face. The lens would go in and out of focus, but it would never beep and let me actually take the picture . I was getting really frustrated, so what I am trying to figure out is if I need to change the settings on the camera in order to take a picture this way? I just can't figure out why it wouldn't let me take the picture. Like I said, I am new to photography, and haven't had a lot of time yet to learn the camera and read through the manuals - so as of now I am just keeping it on Auto. I just want to find out if it is something I am doing wrong or the lens. Also, I have heard this lens is loud, but it seems like it is abnormally loud, especially when it is trying to focus (which sometimes seems to take forever). Is it supposed to be this way?</p>

</p>

<p> It sounds like you didnt have enough ambient light for the camera to focus. Your minimum focus distance on that lens is around 1 foot if i remember correctly, maybe 16 inches. Your camera wasnt letting you take a pic because it was not locking focus. Was your auto focus assist lamp coming on? On my d80 it's alittle flakey, but resetting the camera makes it work again (two buttons should have green dots on them, hold those down at the same time resets the camera to factory defaults). <br>

Add more light by popping up the flash, or another room light and you should be fine. <br>

The lens probably only seems loud because you are holding it 8" away from your ear, ask your husband if he can hear it when taking a photo. </p>

<p>dim light can cause problems for autofocus systems esp. if there isn't a lot of contrast under the active focus point (maybe his skin since it was frame filled?????). Anyway, there should be a camera custom setting (see manual) that tells the camera to allow shutter release 'whenever'. by default, it'll only let the shutter release when it thinks focus is locked. I dont know if the camera has a built-in autofocus assist lamp or if the lens allows manual focus override. The camera's autofocus mode can also play a part in this</p>

<p>What is the close focus distance of the lens? If the front of the lens to the subject is less than the close focus distance then it will never become "in focus" and none of the other conditions mentioned above will help.</p>

<p>you know where the little button is which you push to release the lens from the mount?<br>

directly below that is a little 3-position switch labeled C-S-M.<br>

if your's is set to C, it could be causing the lens to continuously try to focus -- as if it's trying to track a moving target. what you would probably prefer in this situation is to set it on S, which tells it to lock on to something and stay there.<br>

it could be a lighting issue, but i'd check this setting just for the heck of it.</p>

<p>Hi, I am also a novice and have a D90 which I absolutely love. (have had it for just over a year). I suggest you read the manual (dry as dirt), and a couple of others, such as "Nikon D90" by Simon Stafford, and " Nikon D90 Digital Field Guide" by J. Dennis Thomas. Perhaps you are accidently changing setting (the camera is SOOO complicated) and need to know that the camera has 2 buttons which resets to default settings. If there is a camera shop in your area, don't hesitate to walk in and ask for advice/help. I've had to make several trips myself! It is one of the reasons I always buy my equipment locally. I may pay more but there are flesh and bone people to assist me. </p>

<blockquote>

<p>The lens would go in and out of focus, but it would never beep and let me actually take the picture .</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Can you focus manually to first determine if your subject is beyond the minimum focus distance of the lens (listed as 10.6in)? If you can focus manually but the camera just won't lock on in autofocus, it's probably not getting enough light from the subject. Try the focus assist lamp as has been suggested. Or get a speedlight like the SB-600, SB-800 or SB-900. These integrate with your camera and have a built-in AF illuminator that really helps well when focusing under low light conditions.</p>

<p>Based on your question and the response, I think it's safe to conclude that its you and not the lens. That's a good thing though. You're new to photography and there is a lot to learn and enjoy!</p>

<p>Try to follow the other posters' suggestions and get the camera off of auto. You have a digital camera which means that you can afford to screw up many pictures at no additional costs. On the contrary it will be an investment in your knowlegde and ability. Most of us have learned or (speaking for myself) are still learning photography the hard way. I had to learn it the hard way, using film. Trust me I burned enough film for a lifetime of digital.</p>

<p>Try not to stick the Tamron too far up your husbands nose ( that might cause the sound) and enjoy photography!</p>

<p>Thanks everyone. The AF Illuminator was coming on, so I don't think that would be the solution. But as soon as I get home I will try the other suggestions. I expiremented a little last night, and at first I was only about a foot away, but then got up to about 2-3 feet and it was still not allowing me to take the picture - I had the camera at 17 and 50mm and still wouldn't take. I have begun reading through the manual, but haven't gotten very far yet - I at least haven't read anything that would help me with this issue. I was planning on getting a book just for the D90 as Dorothy suggested, but haven't done that yet.<br>

By the way, my husband said he could hear the camera, and did mention that it was loud. Is that normal for this lens? What about the fact that sometimes it can take up to a few seconds to focus (the whole time the motor going)? I know it will cause me to miss great shots!</p>

<p>echoing what others have said, dont shoot in auto--ever--if you can help it. use P (rogram) if you are a novice, that at least gives you control over some settings, such as when to fire the flash if at all.</p>

<p>low-light indoor photography is one of the more difficult things to do, technically-speaking. there needs to be contrast between subject and background, and enough ambient light for the AF to work. the AF-illuminator helps, but if you are shooting in the dark, you are asking for a lot. you can make up for the lack of ambient light somewhat by increasing ISO and/or decreasing shutter speed, but this can result in motion blur and more noise as well.</p>

<p>my suggestion is to try some less-challenging photographic situations until you are entirely comfortable with the camera and the lens.</p>

<p>I own the Tamron 17-50/2.8 and love the zoom lens, except for it hunting to focus in lower light. I quickly zoom in on another area of the picture that has some contrast like half dark and half lighter in color and this usally gets the auto focus to lock on. This is the one of the two quirks this zoom lens has and you have experienced both with the auto being loud. I have poor hearing so it is not a problem for me and have not had any of my family complain. You have two choices keep the lens and enjoy or send it back and get the the Nikon 17-55. Do not look at the Sigma version since it doesn't even come close to the the Nikon or Tamron version. Take some more pictures indoors and outdoors and look at the quality. Make sure you crank up the ISO on your D90 to get at least 1/60th of a second for shutter speed . I can hand hold at this shutter speed and can get sharp pictures.</p>

<p>The one word in you question hits me...Auto....<br>

Sounds like it might be selecting a smaller aperture and not letting enough light in. Try going to aperture priority mode and trying either F/2.8 or f/4 to see if that helps.</p>

<p>Have fun......and keep learning as I'm sure we all are...</p>

<p>Ian</p>

<p>Auto focus seems to be difficult for me with the lens "hunting" in low light situations or shiny surfaces like classic automobiles at a show. In those two instances, I switch the camera to M, manual focus, and the program to A, aperture preferred. This solves these two situations. I hope these two comments help!</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Do not look at the Sigma version since it doesn't even come close to the the Nikon or Tamron version.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>I've shot quite a bit with the Sigma and it's a good performer. HSM motor focus sound is absolutely non-issue (Canon mount non-HSM version is fine too) and low light focusing works ok in 1/8-1/30, f2.8, ISO 1600 conditions. I also tried the non-VC Tamron and I really wouldn't say Sigma doesn't even come close, and I do shoot wide open quite often, so this is not based on just sunny f8 shooting.<br>

Not yet OS but I'm sure stabilized version is in the works.</p><div>00VVRZ-210063684.jpg.e1e8d207751ebe34184130ec53653736.jpg</div>

<p>It looks like all the points have been covered so far, but I'll add my voice to the many anyway. To sum it up before I get started: I doubt it's the lens. It's probably just you.</p>

<p>This lens focuses to about 11in. If you are shooting at 50mm, you don't need to be anywhere near 11in to get a face closeup shot. If you are zoomed out to 17mm, you will have to get MUCH closer for a closeup, the subject will distort, and you will have DOF (depth of field) problems in addition to close-focusing problems. Tip 1: zoom in for portraits.</p>

<p>Low light is a real culprit in autofocusing. This is just how it is. Your old P&S (Point and Shoot) camera probably performed better autofocusing in low light. One helpful method is to use all the autofocus points instead of just the center. Don't use the AF assist light, as it is blinding to the subject in low light. This light should only be used on dead, blind, and/or non-living subjects. If your autofocus isn't getting enough light, switch to MF (manual focus). This takes a couple seconds, but it's faster than waiting for the AF to cycle back and forth a few times and never let you take the picture. The two great things about MF: 1) you can snap the shutter whenever you want, and the camera won't second guess you. 2) you can move the focus ring slower when you get closer to focus. This will allow the focus indicator light to tell you when to stop, and even works in most low light situations. This is really precise with a little practice.</p>

<p>Contrast is necessary to get AF to work. If you aren't getting AF lock by focusing on the subject's cheek, then switch to focusing on the eyes or the hair. The camera detects differences between light and dark details (contrast), so if no contrast lies within the AF sensor zone, it will continue to hunt.</p>

<p>Final tip: If you switch to AF SERVO, instead of SINGLE, the priority changes from focus priority to shutter priority. This means the shutter will fire the instant you depress the button, without first confirming focus. This is good if you know you're already holding focus on the subject, but aren't getting enough feedback from the focus confirmation light. It also guarantees you get the shot, even if it's a little blurry. Sometimes a little blurry is better than no shot at all.</p>

<p>You may also want to check out instructional dvd's which are model-specific. It is SO much easier when someone shows you! I love my D90...and you'll love yours too when you get to know it better. In fact it reminds me of when I was a young man dating and finding my way...ok, I'll stop now.</p>