Sistan and C41 negatives

<p>I have seen that Agfa Sistan is still available to stabilise B&W film and prints.<br>

<br>

What would be the effect on a C41 negative - I'm thinking of the 2 bath process without a stabiliser. C41 stabiliser appears to be closely linked to the particular process, according to Fuji at least, and I was wondering if the Agfa product could be used as a generic alternative.<br>

<br>

Thanks in advance. </p>

<p>Hard to imagine it would be useful or effective. Sistan is designed to stabilize a silver image. There's no silver left in a properly processed C-41 or E-6 negative. What needs to be stabilized in a color image is the dyes, and that's totally different chemically from metallic silver.<br>

I'd expect the best way to get stable color films is to use the Kodak or Fuji chemicals according to the instructions. Then store them under cool and controlled humidity conditions. No attics, no basements.</p>

<p>Thanks John- I saw this in a supplier and the thought crossed my mind, but I thought it unlikely.</p>

<p>My problem is that Fuji specifically say that their different stabilisers are specific to particular versions of their chemicals, as they work in conjunction with other stages in their process, so it is unlikely that there would be a stabiliser for a two bath process that doesn't include one (unlike Tetenal which is the one I intend to stick to in future provided it stays in production) </p>

<p>A fair comment Bob, but as most of my film is tradtional I just don't have the C41 throughput to justify a 5 lt kit - I never have more that 8-10 C41 to process in a batch - and only then after collecting them up. </p>

<p>These days the factors I need to take into consideration are not just whether to send them out (expensive for quality work) but what 1litre kits are available to buy to process at home - the Tetenal 1l kit is good, but sometimes the only kits I have been able to get hold of are the Nova or Speedibrews, which do not have the stabiliser. It has been those or nothing.</p>

<p>The Kodak C-41 Flexicolor bleach and fixer are very stable. They don't have shelf-life problems when mixed the way developer does. You can regenerate the bleach with an aquarium pump and bubbler stone. The fixer is the cheapest fixer you can buy, and lasts for many rolls. So buy those, and use the Tetenal developer if that's more cost-effective.<br>

You can mix the Flexicolor C-41 developer 250ml at a time, and keep parts A, B, and C refrigerated, and it will last quite a long time.</p>