Am I ready for a Bridal Show?

aura_jane

<p>I recently started a photo business. I have done 1 wedding and I have 2 more booked. I have done several family and children portrait sessions. There is a bridal show in my town on the 17th and they have space available. I will have sample wedding albums in by then, but I had hoped to be more prepared before I did a bridal show. I don't want to launch too soon, but they only do one in this town every year. At $400-$500 per booth, I don't want to waste my money competing with photographers I may not be ready to compete with. My prices are WAY low, but my portfolio is not as big. My clients LOVE my shots, but what if they just aren't good enough yet. My website is www.theampstudio.com. Could a pro please look at it and tell me if you think I am ready for this big step.</p>

<p>Probably better off in the 'wedding' forum.... not a wedding pro myself, but the wedding gallery should be the best pics you have, some are kinda flat, not bad but not great. One has a pic of several girls on a bench (brides-maids maybe) and the girl in the front looks depressed. Looks like you should practice more with fill flash outdoors.</p>

<p>On your pricing, the photo session fee is ultra cheap... $25 for one hour plus travel and post-production time of 1-2 hours and you are making just about minimum wage. The print packages don't seem high enough for you to make money at it. The wedding prices seem more reasonable.</p>

<p>Hi Aura,<br>

I love your ambition and I can see the creativity in your shots.</p>

<p>I took a look at your portfolio and I would suggest there are a few areas you can improve on considerably. As Nathan said above, fill flash would definitely help fill in the shadows under the eyes of many of the subjects, and if you change your compositions to capture faces and expressions more clearly it would make the shots more interesting and unique. Some depth of field (ie. blurring the background with a small aperture) would also greatly improve many of the compositions by helping to bring focus on the subjects.</p>

<p>As for the question of doing the Bridal Show. I'm not familiar with your town, and if doing this show is absolutely necessary to gain clients, it may make sense. If it isn't necessary though, you may want to think about focusing on improving and building up your portfolio and possibly investing the $400-500 on equipment (an external flash, faster lenses for eg.), business cards or photography books that would directly help you. Keep in mind, if you do a good job of networking and marketing your website to guests at your next 2 weddings you would probably be able to find new clients without spending a dime :)</p>

<p>You may also find my post about the Basics of Wedding Photography helpful: http://www.photoblazr.com/photoblazr/index.php/2009/11/basics-of-wedding-photography-part-1/<br>

Best of luck!</p>

<p>At $50 a session, you wouldn't be able to pay for your supplies (printing, packaging, etc.) let alone all of the state and federal taxes, etc. You definitely don't want to go into business with prices so low that nobody takes you seriously. You'll undermine your business in a hurry that way. You have to believe in yourself and your talent/skills enough to charge what you're really worth. Look at what other photographers in the area are charging, and take your cues from there.<br>

Some of the lighting on your subjects could be improved, but then again lighting is something we all continually work on. That having been said, you have what I consider some great composition skills and a good eye, and are definitely on your way.<br>

Again, you need to believe in yourself and price accordingly. As hard as it may be to wait, I'd work on your portfolio over the next year, encourage word of mouth (maybe a one-year anniversary portrait or something if they refer you to another wedding client who books, that sort of thing), and then attend the show next year. You'll have a variety of photos to show instead of just one wedding, which will also make you appear more established. Not only that, but you'll start to develop your own style, which can be a great asset in defining you as a photographer. Every pro photographer needs to define that in order to stand out.<br>

Hope that helps!</p>

<p>One wedding doesn't sound like a lot of learning time? In the bad old days, many of us first apprenticed a few seasons with a wedding shooter in order to learn the ropes. This isn't anything that one is born knowing. And every circumstance is different.</p>

<p>Just mastering full creative and practical control over one's equipment takes a few years practice. And having the skills and knowledge to flatter any subject, in any situation, at a very high rate of speed, takes a lot experience.</p>