I want a 50D . . . only less expensive

<p>I shoot a good deal personally and professionally although I don't call myself a photographer; I never apprenticed and have only a very minor bit of education on the matter. I'm also, as my last girlfriend so lovingly phrased it, a skinflint cheapskate Texan. Short story: I'm the kind of person who bought 2005's Rebel XT used in 2008. In fact, I'm exactly that person.<br>

My new pain is that I used a borrowed 50D for back-up when I shot a wedding a few weeks ago (of course I ditched the XT five minutes into the gig) and now I can't get it out of my head. Oh, the simplicity and clarity and speed and that big-ass LCD! But . . . I don't have room in my life for 15 megapixels.<br>

I've read enough about the tiny differences between the 40D and 50D and can probably save a little by getting a 40D instead. Does anyone have any suggestions for another Canon that might make me happy (for at least a few months)? Thanks. And Happy New Year.</p>

<p>Just remember, if you buy a 40D you'll always be comparing it to the 50D, too. In the end, if the 40D turns out to have any shortcomings, you'll forever be disappointed that you didn't buck up and just get the 50D. Since you liked it so well when you used it, the 50D seems like the natural choice. Why risk buying something that you may not feel as comfortable with?</p>

<p>I use a Canon 20D as my main camera and am still very happy with the results. Although I am like you, I want the 50D and all of the bells and whistles that go along with it like 15MP etc. etc. I am very intrigued by what Puppyface posted. I just read the link and if the program is still in place then I would be very intrested in getting a 50D body only. The catch is that it's refurbished but anytime I have bought refurbished in the past, I couldn't tell the diffrence between new and refurbished with the exception of it being called refurbished and having only a ninety day warranty as opposed to one year. Good luck!</p>

<p><a href="http://dxomark.com/index.php/eng/Image-Quality-Database/Compare-cameras/(appareil1)/180%7C0/(appareil2)/267%7C0/(onglet)/0/(brand)/Canon/(brand2)/Canon">http://dxomark.com/index.php/eng/Image-Quality-Database/Compare-cameras/(appareil1)/180|0/(appareil2)/267|0/(onglet)/0/(brand)/Canon/(brand2)/Canon</a></p>

<p>Many people feel that the 50D is a slight step back from the 40D, anyway.</p>

<p>The 50D has 20% more linear pixels than the 40D. Chances are you'll never see the difference in a finished print.</p>

<p>Eric</p>

<p>Do not believe statements that boldly say X is better than Y. Without arguments it's meaningless.</p>

<p>Sometimes the arguments are right but aren't what you deem important while the differences the poster deems unimportant might be the ones that carry weight with you.</p>

<p>I owned both a 40D and 50D. I referred the 50D due to the much better LCD, the better Quick Screen interface (joystick vs many button combos), better metering of backlit subjects and LV interface (a button instead of menu driving or using "set"). The difference in rez was not a huge thing, but the nod goes to the 50D.</p>

<p>The negs on the 50D are slightly shorter battery life and less tolerance of underexposure. I found actual noise at the pixel level about the same, but large 50D prints at the same size as 40D prints look a little smoother and cleaner (less uprezzing). The main advantage of the 40D is a little cheaper price if you can still find a new one.</p>

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

<blockquote>

<p>you're in luck, the 40D is better than the 50D</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Wow, Nathan...that's a pretty bold statement. How much have you used a 50D?</p>

<p>To the OP, an alternative you may want to examine would be the 500D (T1i). Same size sensor (15 megapixels) as in the 50D. Plus, it shoots video.</p>

<p>I still can't believe that there is talk about 40D vs 50D.<br>

I have 50D and its a great camera. I have a proof of that hanging in my Office.<br>

(Please stop harassing 50D)</p>

<p>BTW: if you don't mind buying from ebay, you get Live/Bing.com cashback of 8%.<br>

So you might be lucky save $70 to $80.<br>

http://www.bing.com/shopping/pages/faq.aspx</p>

<p> </p>

<p>I know its a bold statement, thats why I made, to stir up some emotion. I know each has their advantages and disadvantages and one may be better than the other for certain situations, but I love my 40D for what I do and wouldn't trade it for a 50D. Also, the OP said he wanted a 50D, but cheaper. The 40D sounds like the answer.</p>

<p>Hey, Alan and Nathan</p>

<p>why stop there?</p>

<p> L better than regular series, Canon better than Nikon, me better than you... etc.</p>

<p>[utterance should be concluded with a grunt and beating of chest for proper effect.] ;)</p>