Is it worth it to upgrade from 40D to 50D?

michaelsmiller

<p>Michael, I am a hobby photographer, so am hardly qualified to give advice, but I like to expose on the dark side and take back-lit photos. I find the 50D problematical in these situations. This is at normal ISO. It may be my technique or the scenes I choose, but another photographer recently told me the 40D was better. I wish I had waited a bit and tried out the 7D before I bought. Regards, Adrienne</p>

<p>Michael, I just said above that you should save for the 7D or else go full-frame.</p>

<p>Adrienne's comment makes me want to be a bit more circumspect. I have been shooting full-frame (5D, 1Ds II, and now finally the 5D II) for the last three and one-half years., but I wanted a cropped sensor camera to use with my Orion telescope.</p>

<p>I settled for the 50D because I knew that it would give me more detail than the 40D. I went back and forth between the two. I wanted the 7D but could not justify it to myself, given my other purchases. I did use the 50D to shoot the moon, as in this photo:</p>

<p>http://www.photo.net/photo/10263531</p>

<p>It is not too bad, given my lack of experience in astro-photography. I might have gotten even better results with the 7D, since it has even more pixels (although I have to say that the limitations of the shot I just posted are not because of the 50D but because I cropped too narrowly and blew it up too much, trying to get closer and closer).</p>

<p>Even so, as Adrienne said, there are other considerations. Shooting the brilliant moon through a telescope does not tell me a thing about how the 50D would do with back-lit subjects. I guess that what I am really saying is that the 50D is incrementally better than the 40D--for some subjects and lighting situations. It might not be for others.</p>

<p>--Lannie</p>

<p>I just want to thank all of you for your responses to my quandry. I was just wanting to know if with my limited funds for a 2nd body($1400 currently) where would you go up from the 40d for a 2nd body. I will still be keeping the 40d but want another camera for improvement. I love the 40d and plan to keep it as a backup or for certain specific ops.<br>

I want a new camera to be my primary that will allow me more flexibility and range for different types of work. From hearing your comments I think that I will wait and save a little bit more money and either purchase the 7d or 5d which I know are superior to the 50d. I guess I just wanted to know if it was worth it to upgrade to the 50d or wait another month or two and get the 7d or 5d.<br>

Thanks again for all the wonderful tips and help. I greatly appreciate it!<br>

Cheers<br>

Miller</p>

<p>do not take it personal all guys with 7D, but as I said my personal opinion is I would spent the money for good lens, rather upgarding to 7D now. Having said that I almost bought it last week :-)<br>

So to answer the question beteen 7D, 50D and 5D I would go for 7D.</p>