Help me name my business! Calling all creative minds...

<p >I Need help figuring out a good business name (with URL available)… I am just starting out and will be doing portrait photography of seniors, kids, families, etc… as well as doing action shots at events for my teams. I am an All Star Cheer coach and that’s where I will be starting with a base of clients. There are about 130 families in our cheer program and I’ve been “borrowing” groups and individuals to build my portfolio and feel that I’ll continue to get their business when I start up. I will also be doing some larger event photography for the Cheer Competitions that we host. </p>

<p >Because of this “family” that I’m a part of, I wanted to do something along the lines of AllStarPhotography (taken), CapturingCheerPhotography, or AllStarCheertography (is this too limiting?)… I also thought about a 3-word combo like “LifeLoveCheerPhotography” (too nerdy?), MomentsOfCheerPhotography (longgg)… etc. My main question/concern here is does the word “cheer” double easily enough as happiness/joy/etc as well as cheerleading like my main base will see it?</p>

<p > Would LOOOVE suggestions.</p>

<p >I thought about using my name but a lot of the good options with my first name are gone (PhotosByAli, AliPhotography, AlisPhotography, AliciasPhotography)… as for first and last name combos my initials are taken, and I don’t want to use Bleckinger (I’m not engaged yet but on that path) and change it after working to get my name out there. And I don’t plan on dealing with the awkwardness of trying to use a name I haven’t been asked to use. Probably not great in the relationships 101 book. However, if things continue as planned my new last initial will be S… so I was trying to do some kind of AliS (which for now I could say Ali’s… and later in life could morph to Ali S. without changing my URL…thought this was a sneaky way of planning ahead?)</p>

<p >Other random ideas on the table (I’m not in love with any of these): AllStarPhotographyStudio, ASPhotographyStudio, LensOnLifePhotography, AliSBeautography,(I’m torn between liking this one and picturing myself doing a terrible perm on someone’s hair here) AliSPhotoStudio, BeautifulCheerPhotography</p>

<p > </p>

<p >Thanks all.</p>

<p>Something to think about is not having a name that will box you in once you become established. Remember that whatever you choose might be perfect NOW but once people start seeing your work you will be asked for other jobs which might not fit a "cheer" name. </p>

<p>How about "MomentsOfCheer", without "photography"?</p>

<p>You'll have keywords on the webpage that will get hits on searches for photography, the business card will obviously be photography, why do you need the word? (and, if your business grows, and you end up with 6 photographers and 4 videographers on staff, you won't be limiting your services).</p>

<p>Aside from that, skip any name that has "studio" in it, because a big chunk of what you do is sports on location.</p>

<p>I don't like "LensOnLifePhotography". First, it doesn't need "photography". Second, the web isn't case sensitive, and Len Son Life or Len's On Life leaves me wondering who "Len" is. Remember the lesson of the internet pen shop: PenIsland.com (PenisLand.com) or the site that lets you find out who representes actors and musicians: WhoRepresents.com (WhorePresents.com). The first one gave up, the second soldiers on despite the jokes. At least least "MomentsOfCheer" seems to pass the PenisLand test.</p>

<p>Seriously, never use "Lens" in the name of a photography business, because the lay customer won't make the connection.</p>

<p>Yes, Joseph thanks for the input... I got a good chuckle out of the internet pen shop. You make some great points. I've narrowed it down to a couple of choices - with momentsofcheer in the mix. I also hadn't tried my full first name and middle initial. So the three I'm thinking are:<br>

AliciaLPhotography<br>

MomentsofCheer<br>

LifeinPictures</p>

<p>?</p>

<p>Ali:</p>

<p>I'd use your name.</p>

<p>If I were looking for a photographer, I would avoid Life in Pictures or Moments of Cheer. They don't strike me as reputable. When I started my business, I looked at the companies I've used in the past that I liked the most. Most of them had their Last Name + Photography. Boring, yes. The ones I've been least satisfied with were selling the sizzle and ignoring the steak, and were named with cutesy names.</p>

<p>Every so often, a thread pops up. "I named my baby photography business Slobber Pictures, and now I want to be taken seriously for wedding work. How do I transition?"</p>

<p>If I didn't have anything else to go on between Photos by Ali, Alicia L Photography, and Bleckinger Photography, I'd go with the latter.</p>

<p>Eric</p>

<p>Another 2 cents from me. I think Ali is such a cute name.....and unusual.....and a bit artsy sounding...IMO. It sort of belongs to that club of names where people can be remembered only for their first names.... Oprah, the Donald, Whoopie, etc..... I think it is sophisticated enough sounding, so you'd be taken seriously as well. I like Eric's suggestion above "Photos by Ali". That would encompass any type of photography and would serve you well in the future as your last name and/or photography emphasis changes. </p>

<p>How about cheerographer.com...it is available. Cheerography.com is taken. Regardless of your business name you could point it to cheerographer.com. For starting out you could say on your cards that you are a professional Cheer-ogra-pher. Good luck however you decide!</p>

<p>Jon</p>

<p>Write down individual words you like. Avoid using your name, it could make the business harder to sell or expand at a later date.<br>

Don't sit there for hours and hours thinking, just think about a few words you like, give them to friends... and your, or their subconscious will come up with a great name...<br>

Nick Stern<br>

<b>Signature URL deleted. Not allowed per photo.net Terms of Use.</b>.</p>

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...