Should I take my DSLR and lenses for 19 day trip to Australia & New Zealand

User_1891539

<p>If you're asking the question, the answer is always, "take it all." Otherwise, you'll just kick yourself because you missed something. You don't have to carry all of it all everywhere, but it gives you options on a daily basis.</p>

<p>It's always worked for me. This is my standard travel kit.<br>

2 Olympus camera bodies, e-500/e-510<br>

14-45mm zoom<br>

35mm Macro w/52mm CP<br>

70-300mm zoom<br>

4 spare batteries and charger<br>

58mm Closeup Filter kit<br>

58mm CP<br>

58mm R72<br>

58mm 2 stop ND<br>

Cable release<br>

Hot shoe flash w/diffuser<br>

72in. Davis and Sanford tripod</p>

<p>It all goes into a 30 year old shoulder camera bag.</p>

<p>Why is it that people can't use their creative minds with given equipment? Too often on this forum we see helpless questions seeking sometimes mis-guided advice.<br>

But seriously, use what you can carry-on, nobody takes all their gear unless they pay extra baggage charges and insurance and certainly not unless they really want to schlep stuff across the tundra.</p>

<p>It looks like everyone has different experiences. Some take all while others travel light. Personally I like to travel light and make due with what I have. I have a good idea of what I use day in and day out. I would take a DSLR no question and probably a backup P&S. If you know what you use most then take that lenses only if you really want to travel light. You may not have the time to really get some shots since you are with a group. I have had that issue before. In those times I make the effort to spend time with my companions but occasionally get to find a nice morning or evening to explore something. For me the 18-70mm would be a must have then the 35mm f1.8 then if I had the extra room either the wide or tele zoom depending on your usage. The 28-105 is a very nice when used on DX but heavy. For max range I would take the Wide zoom, 35mm and tele zoom. I would not leave home without a light Gitzo tripod and head.</p>

<p>It depends entirely on who you are and what you want "from" the trip. If you want to bag some high-resolution shots that you'll blow up and mount on the wall, bring the DSLR. If that's not what you plan then the G10 is perfectly adequate and you can still blow up the images if you want to.</p>

<p>One question though - since you HAVE the DSLR and are considering NOT taking it, um, to be blunt, what do you use it for? Is this the "trip of a lifetime" for you or is it just another vacation in a long list of expensive vacations? I'm guessing that most of us would carry our entire armada if we were going on a trip to such a faraway and exotic destination.</p>

<p>It's largely weight driven, in that I have a bad back, a pinched nerve in one shoulder and <em>two</em> torn rotator cuffs. Also, I will be using a shoulder bag only for the land portion (I'm cheerfully paranoid about checking bags) with the cruise related stuff in a larger (shared) bag. I'm considering getting either a shoulder harness from Think Tank, or a medium sized backpack type bag to avoid hanging the weight on both shoulders.</p>

<p>I don't often make large prints, 8x10 usually being the largest, although I have gone as large as 12x18. I think I'll stick with my packing list. May change the other luggage strategy, though.</p>

<p>Again, thanks to all for their advice and insights.</p>

<p>Why would you have this wonderful kit and not take it on the "trip of a lifetime???" Yes, it'll be a pain at times, but think of all the great places you're going and the wonderful images you'll be able to take. Your friends will love your jpeg files on a DVD disc and your family will love watching the trip again and again on your HDTV.</p>

<p>I'm going to Hilo and Oaho next month and will probably have my whole kit. If I pare down at all it'll be leaving the 400mm at home and taking a monopod instead of the tripod.</p>

<p>Next summer we're taking an Alaskan cruise with the grand daughters, including four-days in Denali. I'll have a 500mm on that one, plus the tripod.</p>

<p>My lowpro backpack holds two camera bodies, three lenses, including the 400mm, extenders, TCs AND my laptop. It'll be my only carryon.</p>

<p>DO IT!!! You'll regret forever if you don't.</p>

<p>Why would you have this wonderful kit and not take it on the "trip of a lifetime???" Yes, it'll be a pain at times, but think of all the great places you're going and the wonderful images you'll be able to take. Your friends will love your jpeg files on a DVD disc and your family will love watching the trip again and again on your HDTV.</p>

<p>I'm going to Hilo and Oaho next month and will probably have my whole kit. If I pare down at all it'll be leaving the 400mm at home and taking a monopod instead of the tripod.</p>

<p>Next summer we're taking an Alaskan cruise with the grand daughters, including four-days in Denali. I'll have a 500mm on that one, plus the tripod.</p>

<p>My lowpro backpack holds two camera bodies, three lenses, including the 400mm, extenders, TCs AND my laptop. It'll be my only carryon.</p>

<p>DO IT!!! You'll regret forever if you don't.</p>

<p>Robert, by no means I am suggesting that anybody should do what I did: traveling to Australia with four SLR bodies including the F5, F100 and medium format. However, to me, and hopefully for a lot of people, a D70S body with lenses such as the 18-70 DX, 55-200 DX and 12-24 DX is a light-weight kit.</p>

<p>Unless you have some highly unusual situation that I am not aware of, one shouldn't have trouble taking a small kit like that to Ausatralia and New Zealand.</p>

G'day Robert,

You will definitely regret not taking your D70s, it has far better image quality than any p&s, even though you have to 'lug' the lenses. (A good but reasonably compact camera bag will accommodate your D70s and two lenses with either lens on the camera to save space).

In my opinion, you will need the two lenses: 18-70 and 55-200 because it's good to have the wide-angle aspect as well as the telephoto aspect.

You never know when you will need to shoot your wife's portrait in front of a given subject such as favourite buildings, or with new Aussie friends.

As for your 12-24, 50 and 28-105 lenses, you already have these focal lengths covered with the two lenses I'm suggesting you take.

You'll find you will see both focal ends as a must, it's surprising what you will see at such short notice when out-and-about.

Personally, on photographic missions either near home or for travel, I purpose-use the telephoto on an all-day venture for detail landscape or near macro, then change subject matter to suit wide-angle shooting- a different way of looking at it, but none-the-less interesting.

Robert, I wish you and your wife a very good trip here down-under, and I know you will love Australia.

Mick.

I don't want to appear rude but why did you buy your gear in the first place ? ....I recently took both my Canon 5D with lenses and my Nikon D700 with lenses to the USA from Australia and flew on about 20 flights, lugged the gear all around cities hotels, rent a cars, tour sites etc...was it worth it ?...well, I didn't buy my gear to leave at home and not take with me...I also lugged all my gear around NZ and Australia in wet and dry weather and my conclusion...I think it's worth it, but you might not..

<p>Shun, I knew you weren't being serious with your earlier suggestion.</p>

<p>I'm taking the DSLR, 18-70/55-200/12-24/50. That should do it. It's actually <em>less </em>than I took to Alaska (e.g, no videocam or big binoculars). Small tripod, remote triggers, flashes, etc.</p>

<p>Again, I'd like to thank you all for your advice and support. Living in a family of non-photographers, it's important to have a sounding board, and the benefit of the experience of others. </p>

<p> </p>

<p>Robert, I don't shoot film any more, 35mm or medium format, but if I go back to Australia again, I'll bring pretty much the same stuffs: at least 3 DSLRs, lenses from super wide to super tele. In my case, photography is THE reason I travel.</p>

<p>However, I didn't want to leave the wrong impression that I might think everybody should be crazy about photography like me. But taking 1 DSLR and 2, 3, 4 small to mid size lenses should be very doable for just about everybody.</p>

<p>Shun, if I were going totally on my own (as I have done in the past for other trips, such as to Death Valley), I would have gone with the 2 slr/5 lens/ big honkin' tripod since have no one else to be concerned about. Group dynamics are different.<br>

I think I'll take a look at some backpacks tomorrow. The Lowepro Fastbacks look like they could give me some room to spare.</p>

<p>You should really take all your equipment that you feel comfortable carrying. Don't worry about Airport security. I JUST got back from 3 week Asia trip. Security coming to the US is a little tighter--in addition to regular screenings, they pat you down and go through your carry ons (right near the gates before you board). I had 3 cameras (including an old mechanical, Rolleiflex TLR) and a few lenses with me--no one gave me any trouble. I usually walk around with a DSLR/one lens and a point and shoot. Personally, I don't carry multiple lenses when I go out. I figure in advance what the appropriate lens should be for that day/excursion. That way, I won't get too fatigued from carrying too many things.</p>

<p>This is really a tough question only because no one can decide for you.</p>

<p>Personally, at my photographic level I take better documentary style photos with my P&S and better Landscape type shots with my more serious cameras.</p>

<p>So if it were me, I'd take just my P&S and enjoy my holiday with the people I'm going with.</p>

<p>I recently went on a once-in-a-lifetime group holiday where I was the only one with a serious interest in photography and a 'serious' camera (my LX3 P&S - I left my D300 at home). I know I was a pain because I was always lagging waaaay behind (didn't help it being a trekking holiday to Mount Everest Base Camp !).</p>

<p>Don't regret my decision as I still managed to get pictures I was proud of and still managed to make a few people go wow (http://www.yarnex.co.uk/nepal2009)</p>

<p>And I also enjoyed my holiday to the max.</p>

<p>Again, if you're like me (heaven forbid), your serious gear is for taking serious, carefully considered and thought out photographs and your G1, skillfully used, will serve you magnificently on your vacation.</p>

<p>Whatever your decision, have a great time !!</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Hi Robert<br>

Looks like you are on the same ship (Diamond Princess) as I would be on except that I will be sailing from Auckland to Sydney, this last incident on Christmas day has made it hard for me to decide what to pack but any way here is what I intend to take with me. My D700, 24-120, 105 Macro, 80-200 and the SB800, but I might leave the flash and the 105 macro behind if I have to.<br>

I have checked the hand luggage regulations, seems that we are allowed ONE carry on and one accessory like a hand bag, attache case, but not to exceed 22 pounds. In any event even if the regulatiions have changed to 15 pounds, I would still be able to make it. <br /><br />This is also a trip of a life time for me, I have never been south of the Equator and from all accounts NZ is very scenic and I want images to remember this trip by.<br>

If indeed you ar on the Diamond Princess, she is a huge ship and you would enjoy sailing on her, service is great. I sailed on it last year from Beijing to Bangkok. And if this English man David is still the manager of the ship's Photo department, take the time and get to know him, you will be glad you did.<br>

eb </p>

<p>Robert,<br>

I took a trip of a lifetime last year to OZ & NZ - it is wonderful and truely a fantastic trip. Both countries are so beautiful in thier own way that you really should carry the best camera and lens you can afford. Frankly, I'd upgrade from the D70S to a D300 w/ 18-200 VR lens. (My current outfit, upgraded from a D200 specifically for this trip and glad I did. Hey, you're already spending pretty big bucks to make the trip - a few more to capture it is well worth it!). The variety of animals in OZ is amazing (the zoom comes in handy here), the scenery of NZ spectacular (wide angle and plan on stitching shots together in post). These are places not to be missed!<br>

Carry either significant memory cards or get a portable reader like the Epson. I ended up with over 6000 pics on 60 gig - and had to limit myself by shooting jpeg at times to save memory space (which I now regret, wish I had done NEF all the way).<br>

If you don't already have Lightroom, go ahead and spring for that too - truely amazing for workflow and processing after the fact.<br>

You'll love it - and the people in OZ and NZ really are as amazingly friendly, open, and welcoming as it appears. My biggest problem now is trying to decide if OZ or NZ wines are the best - the sampling trials will have to continue for some time, it seems. I can't wait to go back!<br>

Have a great trip!</p>

<p>You may over complicate things. </p>

<p>As the wife to take a p&s and you take the SLR. One kit lens and maybe a long lens and that's it. Polariser, maybe a ND filter if you wanna do waterfalls and streams. Do a HDR instead of taking grads. Don't really need the ultra wide really unless you into that and like you say you are not into it. </p>

<p>If you are doing a cruise, you may not have that much time doing nature walks and stuff to really use that wide lens anyway, or even the ND filters.....</p>

<p>If you are not shooting in dusk or dawn, you could actually forgo the tripod. The largest item you have. Like most photographers, shoot it handheld, if you doing cruise that may dictate your travel itinerary.... If you are getting a car rental driving around the country esp the south island for a week or two then yeah take a tripod when you can do what you want and dump it in the car boot.</p>

<p>Pano's, use a tele lens and do a pano on the tripod and stitch in software.</p>

<p>Wife have a p&s, I won't even take a backup, just the SLR.</p>

<p>Two cameras and two lenses. I take my D700 and D300, a 24-120 lens and a 500VR lens. I usually put a backpack big enough to carry both camera with lenses attached and a waterproof plastic sack in my regular luggage and use a roller carryon for the camera gear. Take a monopod for the tele and back up cards, batteries and chargers. With high ISO performance you do not need a flash or all that other gear. If you need two more lenses just for reassurance then the 14-24, the 24-70 and/or the 70-200 can be taken, though they are all very heavy. If you want a low-lighter then the 85mm 1.4 works great. </p>

<p>Hi from an Aussie.</p>

<p>Take it. D70, a couple of consumer zooms and (say) one prime) is not a lot of kit. But it will be very handy for the amazing things you will see.</p>

<p>On Qantas cabin baggage - they are strict on size but only ask about weight if you look like you have a big bag. So keep it looking compact and they wont even check (I'm speaking as someone who flies Qantas for work >100 sectors per year so I'm in a good position to know). I'd recommend a smallish backpack rather than a shoulder bag by the way because they are so good for taking camera gear on long bush-walks.</p>

<p>I'd have flown between Melbourne Hobart and Christchurch, and then driven around NZ, rather than spent time out at sea between the countries. The best of these places is only experienced when you can say "I'm going to drive this amazing unsealed coastal or mountain road" or "Bugger today's plans, I'm loving this little winery and I think we should stay here chill this afternoon". Too much planning and too strict an agenda doesn't leave time for the pod of whales off the cliffs, the flock of emus to cross the road, the decision to go crab-fishing in the rocks just because its a nice day on a secluded beach and you have a bottle of white that would go down great with shellfish, or to imagine a sunrise somewhere amazing and decide on a whim to pitch a tent in order to see it in its full splendour the next morning. Anyway all this to say I hope your cruise affords you a lot of free time to go out and do that exploring because those sort of random things really are the heart and soul of Australia & NZ.</p>