Nikon 24-70 f2.8 carrying case group poll

bdmott

<p>I just received my 24-70 f2.8 to go with my new D700.<br />I'll write a review after the holidays.<br />The carrying case (luggage) that came with the lens has styrofoam inserts for the top and bottom of the lens.<br />Who keeps them in the case and uses them or did you just toss them aside?????????</p>

<ol>

<li>I keep the styrofoam in the Nikon lens case.</li>

<li>I keep the Nikon lens case in the box the lens came in.</li>

<li>I keep the box the lens came in in a big box of boxes.</li>

</ol>

<p>I keep the lens in a Lowepro PhotoTrekker AW backpack or a Lowepro #2 lens case attached to one side of a Toploader 85 AW camera case.</p>

<p><strong>"I'm too scared to actually use them after what i paid for them"<br /></strong>I waxed and washed my 1975 Porsche all the time, kept it in the garage, and had less than 1,000 miles in two years. Then Al Holbert ( the race car driver) said to me "That machine was meant to be <em>driven. </em>Soon afterward, I took it on the Doylestown Pa. bypass just before it opened to the public, went around the barracade and hit the gas to 126 mph..where I governed myself..it could have gone much faster..the engine hummed and purred, and the cockpit was quiet..I left depressions on the steering wheel. Later..Al Holbert showed me great driving techniques..including rounding curves and speeding up for better tire grip. I later raced against newer porsche models and did quite well..as the pollution controls were not on my car. I put 75,000 miles on it..and fondly remember many wonderful moments.<br /><strong>Don't keep the shutter releases low for the next guy.</strong><br /><strong></strong></p>

<p>The Nikon case is the most compact case for the 24-70, but offers thin protection, and a poor seal against dust. I got a Lowe 4S to accomodate the lens + reversed hood with substantial protection, but the 4S is so big, it takes up too much space when I want to carry several lenses in a backpack. The size and shape of the 24-70 is it's most annoying feature.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Joe, you gotta start thinkin outside the box.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>You mean I'm supposed to put the styrofoam bits in the <strong>big, round </strong> container out back?</p>

<blockquote>

<p>William, I'm too scared to actually use them after what i paid for them</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Jeff got that right, get that gear out and shoot it. There's something called "opportunity cost", which is a way of figuring out the cost of "not doing" something. You can't be scared of the gear, let the camera and lenses live in a camera bag, always ready to be grabbed and hauled into the field. Then haul the bag out into the field. Buy a used bag, or have your kids beat your new one until its condition says "mean dog, protecting the camera". That's all you need...</p>

<p>Absolutely right. Use that stuff that's what it's for. I have entirely way too much money tied up in my gear and I use it every time I get a chance. I reckon maybe 5% of my shots are really keepers (to me, my own worst and harshest critic). Not a pro but dead serious about my photography. There are collectors and there are photographers. Don't be just a collector of fine Nikon glass. Use it! BTW I don't think the 24-70 is all that big or heavy. Try shooting the 200 f2 hand-held all day. You will figure out what big and heavy really is.</p>

<p>great comments. i was only joking about using it as a museum piece.<br>

i agree, it isn't as heavy as everyone has commented in reviews.<br>

i just stuck a mbd10 on the D700 too, looks goliath, but not heavy really<br>

I'll be using it over the holidays endlessly</p>

<p>I have thrown out (on some purchases) all including boxes etc. and wished I had kept that stuff in case I end up selling that piece. Every ad on the forums references having all the boxes, packing material, paper forms etc. and the implication is that the item is downgraded without having all that stuff with the lens.</p>

<p>My wife claims I am a packrat and that I keep too much stuff as it is. Can't win...</p>