Oh Fatali, you Devil!

michael_phlin_jahapne

The idea of including the human element in landscapes like Yosemite is hardly new. It may or may not be exciting, depending on your taste, but it isn't any "newer" than Fatali's photographs or any of the other landscape photographers mentioned in this thread. I can't imagine doing anything "new" in photography, if by "new" you mean "not done before." I don't know how many photographs have been made since Niepce pointed that box out his window but it must be in the hundreds of billions. Not likely that anyone is going to be doing anything "new" with that kind of history to contend with.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<i>." I don't know how many photographs have been made since Niepce pointed that box out his window but it must be in the hundreds of billions. Not likely that anyone is going to be doing anything "new" with that kind of history to contend with.</i><p>

Although on the face of it true, I disagree with you, how many people have taken pictures of vegetables? I bet millions, but none like Weston, or flowers, even more millions but none or few like Mapplethorp. So IMO it is not that you take a pic of something "new" per se, but you see in a "new" way that not many people can. I am sure you have seen a photograph to a place you have been and said to yourself "damm why didnt I see that?" I know it has happened to me.

<p>

Which brings us back to my beef with Fatali, is not that he is a bad photographer, it is more that his images are just so <i>common</i>.

<I>...How can you replicate, let alone surpass those masters of

photography?...

-- Eric Mortensen</I><P>I can't imagine why anyone would want

to bother trying to "replicate or surpass" someone else's work,

Just trying to photographically see things clearly the way I feel/

think/sense about them is a big enough challenge.