If you had $5k - $6k for a camera outfit what would you get?

mark_ennis

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<p>W.T., you've missed the key factor mentioned in Mark's post on Dec 17, 2009; 04:15 p.m -- Mark's father is buying him whatever he wants for $5K to $6K. High -- low and the money isn't Mark's to save for later. He has to pick it up now. The lenses may always be there, but the money won't.<br>

Unless his father is attaching strings to the gift, he can sell gear if he doesn't use it so he might as well get the best gear possible. Think about what you'd like to buy used in six months if he doesn't use it.</p>

<p>Rebecca,<br>

You are absolutely correct. I don't get to save it for later. It's now or wait till next year. Spend it all and if I don't like something I can sell it later and get something else.<br>

Have any of you had any experience with the Canon 28-300mm? Yes, heavy but not much heavier than the 70-200mm. I could get the 18-55mm f/2.8 and 28-300mm. Keep in mind this is going to be a long term learning adventure.<br>

The reviews I've read about the 28-300 are all good. Cons are Heavy but you get used to it.<br>

Thanks again<br>

Mark</p>

<p>Hi Mark,<br />After reading all this, I felt I had a contribution that hadnt been made yet.<br>

I'd go with the 15-85 IS and the 70-200 F4 IS.<br />Both lenses will be a pleasure to use and no matter what you buy AFTER this, you'll continue using these. the 15-85 is a great walkaround lens and because it goes unusually wide, you'll get a taste of whether you need a 10-22 later or not. The 70-200 F4 IS is just a must have in Canon's collection. Even if you have an interest in the F2.8, you'll appreciate the lightness of this version. Both lenses have 4-stop IS, which is just a pleasure to have.<br />You might want to add a prime, I'd go with the 50 F1.8 (75 bucks, best bucks you'll ever spend) or the 35 F2.0 (250 bucks).<br />I think all your other choices you made (from the flash to the tripod) are very valid and you'll have a great time. If you really want to do wildlife, you'll feel the need for the 100-400 IS and the 1.4 extender later, but the above 2 lenses and one prime will give you long ways to go. Enjoy!</p>

<p>I'd think hard about whether video is an absolute must. Because frankly, shooting high quality video is actually not easy, in fact it is quite <strong>hard</strong> . If you want to move the camera, you're probably looking at some kind of stabilization device like a blackbird or a glidecam (= $300-600). If you want to focus the camera while shooting video while getting some out-off-focus background blur, you really need some additional equipment like a follow focus and/or a LCD loupe-type device to see what you are doing (such as a Zacto Z finder). If you want to use f/2.0 to shoot video outside during the day, you'll need a vari-neutral density filter. Want smooth pans? You'll need a tripod fluid head. Want decent sound quality? A Zoom H4n. The list goes on and on. Also, editing video may require some serious computer hardware, a lot of time, and has a significant learning curve. I'd do one of these:</p>

<p>1. used 1D mark3. At the current insanely low used prices of ~ $2,100, this camera is an absolute STEAL. Then get a used 16-35 f2.8 mark I at $800 (blurry corners will be "cropped" by the APS-H) and a used 70-200 f4.0 IS (975). Finally pick up a 85mm f1.8 for a fast portrait lens (350) and a 24mm f1.4 (~1025) for low light situations.</p>

<p>2. used 5D (1200), used 70-200 f2.8 IS (1500), new 16-35L II (1500), used 85mm f1.8 (350), new 35mm f2.0 (350).</p>

<p>To both: Add a nice tripod + ballhead (400), a good 77mm Polarizer and step-up rings (150), a 550EX (225) (don't bother with a 430EX-- not enough power for light modifers and no option for an external flash battery down the road), and you're at about 5,750 to 6k.</p>

<p>Skip the 5D2. You gain a stop in high iso performance, HD video (see above), and a sweet LCD, but you have to spend an extra $1500, i.e. it is simply not worth it (nice LCD though!). Skip the 7D, for 300-500 more I'd MUCH rather have a 1D3--better AF, better built, & better high iso. In fact, the original 5D high iso is still better than the 7D. It is still my primary camera, although when the 1Ds3 drops to 3-3.25K, I'll be getting one of those.</p>

<p>Oh, and buy generic batteries and some much cheaper 4-8GB CF cards yourself.</p>