External self timer for Hasselblad 500 cm

cody_s1

<p>Hi all,<br>

I am a new owner of a Hasselblad 500 c/m with a 80mm CF lens. There is apparently no self timer function on this lens. I am trying to find a means to do some self portraits. I have heard about external self timers, but I cannot seem to find a lick of information on what kind to get, or where. Does anyone know where I can acquire an external self timer for the shutter release, either in the form of a screw in device that won't get in the way of the lens, or a cable release with this function (do they exist?).</p>

<p>I am a bit frustrated searching around and coming to dead ends. I realize this is the best place to get a good answer. If anyone could assist me I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks!</p>

<p>Cody</p>

<p>I had the same problem... I bought a vintage self-timer off ebay but it was very difficult to use - it has a tiny wheel you're supposed to turn to set it, but the spring attached is so strong it actually scrapes your skin off to turn it. Being a EE I thought it'd be a fun weekend project to rig up a little electronic version, and I'm almost done with the prototype. It's completely overkill, but if anyone else is interested I'll post the schematics when I'm done. The features I'm building in are an input for a pocket wizard/ebay trigger (which I already have) so you can trigger it with a remote, as well as a 10-second self timer. I'm attaching it via a little hobby motor to a standard cable release, so it'll work with any manual camera. Honestly, though, I think a bulb release would do the job just fine... just get one of those 20' versions and you can just step on the bulb to trigger it and grab your self-portrait, although maybe you'd miss the fun poses you can capture of yourself trying to get in position before the timer goes off... ;)<br>

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/91946-REG/Samigon_BSA871_Air_Bulb_Release_.html</p>

<p>A friend of mine gave me all of his father in-law's photo equipment, which included a lot of stuff I couldn't identify at first.</p>

<p>One of these things was in fact a self-timer designed for manual cameras - I think this one was originally designed for use with Leicas but it works with most cameras using the standard shutter release. It's really rather elegant - its a spring-loaded pin which extends to trip the shutter, much like a cable release, and to wind the spring you turn an arm, sort of like a clock arm, and push a button to release. It's a slightly odd looking contraption but it works fine. It was originally made by Alpex in Japan. The link below looks similar to mine although not quite the same.<br>

Alpex

<p>Other finds in that salvage pile - various cable releases, a fully functional Konica Auto S2, a Kodak Duaflex III, and a straight metal flash bracket, good for mounting an speedlite next to a Hassy or Rolleiflex.</p>