S2 Delivery begins...

graeme_hodges

<p>I hope that those fortunate enough to be able to afford one and several lenses will finally be able to do so many many months after the Leica announcements. Leica has certainly messed up lately, by their "bridge" model M8 (over a stream that required no bridge) and the S2 premature announcements. The M8 is an OK camera (I enjoy mine and its performance), but I suspect that by the time the S2 gets out it will already be overtaken by other MF digital systems. I guess it already has been. It is a shame for Leica, unless there is some way to upgrade the S2 in future, which does not appear likely.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Haven't heard about a lot of expected roll-outs of MF digital cameras. It's not the same kind of market as the 35mm digital market is. Because of the price and general lack of consumer market, the same type of product development cycle just doesn't exist for medium format cameras. Has anyone else heard of new MF digital cameras or backs coming out?</p>

<p>Well lads it looks like I spoke a little too soon. I didn't even know that Hassy had gone beyond the H2 with a digi back. I still will say that people don't turn over products as fast because of the cost, unless you are the very high high end that actually somehow requires the level of improvement. The plus for the Leica is it's small size and arguably very good lenses, but so are the Fujinon and Mamiya lenses. Really, the OP looks to have a good point. They are getting passed up before they even get the camera on the shelves. I guess some will see:) I still use MF film and unless things change drastically will probably never have a digital MF.</p>

<p>It seems like the sensor on the S2 is equal in size to some MF sensors according to the Leica site, but I have to say my personal reaction to the photos they have up there from Cuba from the S2 is not favorable. They look like any digitally manipulated Nikon or Cannon photograph that is overly processed, and posterized. That's not what I would want a medium format camera for. But that's just my taste. However the "Berlin" photo session is pretty great in terms of IQ.</p>