Zeiss Ikon Nettar 515/2 - lens cleaning

<p>I'm thinking of taking apart the lens on my Zeiss Ikon Nettar 515/2 for cleaning - Tessar with a Klio shutter. Picture of it here - <a href="../photo/5947501">http://www.photo.net/photo/5947501</a></p>

<p>Wonder if anyone can give some advice on the procedure? Not worked on one of these before - cleaning the glass should be straightforward but it's how to get at it without damaging the shutter/diaphragm which is the problem. Any info would be much appreciated.</p>

<p>Thanks - Martyn</p>

<p>Most lenses simply unscrew from the shutter, however, I don't see anything particularly dirty about this lens, in fact, it looks pretty darn clean for it's age. The viewfinder looks dusty as all get out, but that's typical. Unless you can see streaks or fogging, I wouldn't mess with it for fear of introducing dust into a lens that doesn't currently have dust in it!</p>

<p>I bought a 515 at a camera fair last year for a bit of fun. The lens was filthy so I unscrewed the front (and rear I think) elements on my lap while I was having a coffee and cleaned them on my tee-shirt. Yeah yeah I know but it cost nothing/I had to use it on the way back/it was no good as it was.<br>

Anyway, it is now by far the sharpest "old" camera I have. I have enlarged the 6x4.5 neg to 16x20 inches and the results are really fantastic. Some shots I have taken with it since are now on the wall of a friends house.<br>

Lovely camera, enjoy.</p>

<p>My usual procedure for lens cleaning on a folding camera is to remove and clean the front and rear elements / groups, then clean the central element in situ by opening the shutter on B or T, and opening the aperture fully, to access both sides. I've done this many times without causing damage. I usually use Q tips (cotton buds) for the actual cleaning.<br>

The rear element usually just unscrews without too many problems. The front element, if it is front cell focussing, you need to remove the infinity stop and unscrew the lens. They are multi-start threads so you must note the exact the position where the lens disengages from the threads, and when screwing back in start from exactly this position, otherwise the focussing will be off. If it is a unit focussing lens then the front element should just unscrew.<br>

If the rear element is stuck it may be necessary to remove the lens / shutter completely to get more leverage.</p>

<p>I don't think I have ever heard of a Tessar in a Klio shutter in a Nettar 515/2. That's a high-end lens in a low-end shutter and body. Makes me wonder if it is an aftermarket mod.</p>

<p>The relevance of this is, my experience with the Tessars in Zeiss folders (I have only seen them in Ikonta models) is that they are fairly easy to remove without damaging; everything is held in by slotted rings that can be removed with the typical spanner wrench or blade. On the other hand, many of the Novars that I have seen mounted in shutters like the Klio were clearly never meant to be disassembled and are held in with strong, vicious snap rings that are very hard to remove or replace without chipping the lens elements (ask me how I know). If you encounter these and insist on forging ahead, exercise extreme caution and <em>wear eye protection </em> because you would not believe the tension these things are under and the velocity at which they will fly out of the shutter when you pry them out.</p>