Help with Flash

brian_minson

<p>Am a big NON-FLASH guy! But I have several friends who are getting married and want me to shoot their wedding. So I need help on what type of Flash System to buy.<br>

I will be using a Canon 400D and a Canon 5D body, my lens will be a 50mm Prime 1.8, and 70-300mm 5.6+<br>

Looking at the Canon 580 flash, but need help on using it on a stand and using a radio unit to fire it with an umbrella.<br>

Give me some direction.. please :)<br>

Brian<br>

<hr>

<i>Signature URL deleted per photo.net <A HREF="http://www.photo.net/info/guidelines"><b>Community Guidelines</b></A> - http://www.photo.net/info/guidelines. The appropriate place to post a link to your blog or website is your photo.net profile page, accessible via the My Workspace link.</i><br>

<p>Brian<br>

You have the option of working or not working with the TTL system of your camera. If you want to simplify, keep the TTL using the radio trigger of Canon or the new pocket wizard: <br>

http://www.pocketwizard.com/products/transmitter_receiver/minitt1-canon/<br>

This pocket wizard are a transmitter and a receptor .. You would need to make a little bit of homework to know how they work... <br>

You do not mention If you already have the light stand, the multiclamp and the umbrella you want to use.... According to my experience making portraits of snakes (you may want to see them at my portfolio) , you need to carefully make tests with your flash+umbrella in order to find the right power ratio that provides the right aperture for you... Some times the flash did not reach my expectations...<br>

JC</p>

<p>Brian, I have found decent tutorials on 'planet neil' (for some reason, p-net doesn't let me link this now, just google), some of the better flash tutorials I've see online. Also, you're not the first to have friends who want to economize and have a friend shoot their wedding, but I hope you have given some thought to the responsibility involved with being the primary shooter at a wedding.</p>

<p>The moderators are going to keep removing your website URL signature from your posts (so you might want to save them the trouble by not posting it)--they would prefer that you just have it only on your profile page.</p>

<p>Andrew,<br>

Thanks for the tip on the Planet Neil site, and for the website tip as well. Used to adding it on all my posts on my non-photo fourms.<br>

I know two wedding photographers here in town, both friends and both have agreed to let me be a second shooter at a wedding in April and May (friends is in August). One friend has asked me before to help him, but just didn't think I wanted to get into chasing brides down LOL<br>

Just ordered the Bowen flash, along with a flash tripod, and will pick up xmtr to fire the flash this week. Will report back on some test shots.<br>

Brian</p>