LR catalog, new library or 3.0?

My LR library is too large and no longer functions as I need it too - to slow, way to slow even after all the

recomended proper management techniques - and now I need some advice.

Can someone suggest the best way to create new collections, not quick collections, but new collections from my

orriginal lrcat of 140k images? I tried to import from catalog but when it launched into my LR 2.0 catalog it

took about 20 minutes just to load the import box then it crashed. . .

What i want to do is to create about 10 new catalogs each with a subject that way I can work within each catalog

and speed up my processing. . .

Or, maybe LR 3.0 will fix the issues with large lrcat's?

Or do i need to create a new library?

Does anyone have any words of advise? I've been using LR since it's beta and love it, but now it's just too slow

and can hardly get any work done. . . I dont need a hardware upgrade i need to better manage the system i own.

Thanks for your thoughts. . .

Tony

<p>Tony,<br>

I would again attempt to "Export this collection as a catalog". In Library, right-click on a collection, and choose that command. If this is what hung up your prior attempt, maybe try it on a small collection and build from there. LR 3 won't be out for a few months, and life's too short to wait for software development.</p>

<p>I'm grateful for your post stating the number of images that LR is bogging down on. I was wondering when things would get constipated. I have about 48K images. When did things start getting intolerable for you?</p>

<p>ME</p>

<p><em>My LR library is too large and no longer functions as I need it too - to slow, way to slow...</em></p>

<p>What kind of computer? Speed, cores, amount of ram etc?</p>

<p>However I do agree that one catalog is silly and do wish the so called experts that publish books and blogs would stop pushing this schema. One catalog is great if you plan on shooting one subject your entire life and never exceeding 20,000 images. I don't know many that fit that, though.</p>

<p>Actually, unless you’re working with catalogs with images exceeding 100,000, the idea of multiple catalogs is quite problematic. Until such a time you see LR opening multiple catalogs and even allowing movement among them (and you’ll not see that anytime soon), for most users, one catalog makes far more sense. Anything less than 100,000 images on decent hardware and LR will run just fine. </p>

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management" (pluralsight.com)