Shoot Pix for Candidate or Not?

jackaldridge

<p>I've been asked by one of our local candidates for a state office to shoot photos of him at a Thanksgiving community dinner. He wants me to shoot him interacting with those present, etc.<br>

While the dinner is for anyone who wants to come it will also have a large number of disadvantaged people who regulalrly come to this event.<br>

The candidate is someone who does take great pains to work with disadvantaged people throughout the year.<br>

Some of these photos will be used for campaign purposes (i.e. brochures, etc.).<br>

Would you shoot it? Do I have to have releases (probably impossible to do by the way...)?<br>

Posting a sign at the door that photos are being taken isn't an option...</p>

<p>If you decide to shoot for a political candidate, make sure you either get paid up front or on delivery. Failed political candidates often stiff small vendors (this is true regardless of political affiliation -- usually the campaign is just out of money.)</p>

<p>And yes if the photos are to be used in advertising materials prudence dictates getting releases.</p>

<p>I've done this before. However, the events I shot for promotional purposes were always invite only. Those who attended, <em>wanted</em> to be there to support the candidate. All of the people present were tickled pink to be featured in promotional material. Also, I had it set so that it was up to the client to receive permission. If this was an open event to the public, I would try to work it to get either model releases or their contact information. I'm not sure of the legal ramifications about using people attending an open event, but I would want to contact them out of courtesy. At the very minimum, you may want this information to protect your client from bad PR. Imagine the press with an ultra-conservative pro-military candidate being photographed with a known anti-war, anti-military liberal?</p>

<p>Social grip and grins often mix wildly different people. I was in a group that entertained at a "Cancer" event and the mix of celebrities, including an ex-Governor was pretty broad. </p>

<p>However, I believe political "promotional" materials fall into a "protected" speech area under the 1st amendment, and aren't considered the same as commercial or business promotions. If someone is present with someone they don't choose to promote, it's still out there in "public" and available for viewing. This is something the candidate's staff should be solid on (he should be getting legal advise from his lawyers, right?) and I'd expect that you could argue that you can't do your job getting pictures if you are getting signatures. If it's a general public event, I'm not sure the organizers, etc., would like it to be used politically but these events often show up in news and have "celebs," etc., getting face time.</p>