Sb-400?

tyler_webb

Yes the question was answered and then the great members gave me more. Thank you. Those were gonna be my next

questions.

First from what I saw the reflector part of the flash rotates up 90 degrees so couldn't it bounce vertical. Also I honestly

don't needit professionally. Strickly beginner and for those times my Lens casts shadow in my

pictures.

<p><em>"SB400 can't bounce vertical shots." </em> It can with a flash bracket.</p>

<p><em>"can't set that flash's power manually" </em> You can use the camera's flash exposure compensation to adjust output.</p>

<p><em>"so couldn't it bounce vertical shots"</em> What Peter is referring to is when you rotate the camera 90 degrees to shoot in 'portrait' style. Again, if you use a flash bracket, this is not an issue. The SB-400 works extremely well, is extremely easy to use (there are no settings to mess with), is very lightweight, ajnd is very affordable - it is possibly one of Nikon's best values when it comes to flash photography.</p>

<p><em>"...my Lens casts shadow in my pictures." </em> Try taking your sun shade off when shooting wide angle with your pop-up flash..</p>

<p>It's a great macro flash; it's light and handy compared to the other flashes; you can get an extension cord which does iTTL (also works with SB600, probably all the SB### series), and use a mini tripod or bracket to get the flash off camera. The SB600 is heavier but more powerful (four AA batteries compared to two), and will do the different bounce angles, slaves to commander mode with all cameras that have that. I'd recommend the SB600 over the SB400 if you shoot lots of indoor people shots with the camera held at portrait orientation and if you don't want to be bothered with a bracket. The SB400 is excellent if you're packing things to travel light (Nikon's earlier SB30 is the only Nikon flash that's lighter.</p>

<p>Get the SB400 and then pick up one of the four battery flashes later if you do a lot of flash. They'll do more tricks, but the SB400 is an extremely useful flash to have, and will spare your camera battery when you're out and about without being as bulky as the larger flashes.</p>

<p>I have both.</p>

<p>The SB-400 is a good choice for beginners and casual photographers who don't bother with the controls on the flash. Frequently they cannot even tell that there are seviere limitations on the SB-400. There is nothing wrong for being a casual photographer; there are many more of them and that is why Nikon makes the SB-400.</p>

<p>If you are a more sophisticated photographer, you will likely find out very quickly that the SB-400 has very serious limitations as several people have pointed out above. If you are a more serious photographer or are planning to become one, I would buy something better. Otherwise, you'll likely end up spending more money on the SB-400 first and then need to upgrade very soon. Keep in mind that the SB-400 is not part of Nikon's Creative Lighting System (CLS) and cannot even be a CLS slave.</p>

<p>I started with the SB-400 myself. I eventually got an SB-800 for more power and versatility. When I first got the SB-800 I thought I would sell the 400. Not so. I kept it and in fact use it MORE than the 800. I don't always bring my 800 in my camera bag...but I DO ALWAYS have my 400. No, it's not as versatile or powerful, but it is MUCH smaller and lighter, and that is it's advantage sometimes. It's great for quick fill flash outdoors, or just shooting around a casual social situation as the SB-400 looks far less intimidating. You can drop it into your pocket easily when not on camera.</p>

<p><br /> Note that one doesn't have to restrict themselves to ceiling bounce only. I am fully aware of the SB-400's limitations, but even so I have successfully bounced it off things other than ceilings. Walls, doors, and people with white shirts next to me have all provided bounce surfaces when using my SB-400 in vertical orientation.</p>