Refurbished 40D body only, where can I find one?

canonfduser

<p>I'm a long time FD user with a nice collection of bodies and lenses but will soon go digital. I just purchased a Panasonic G1 and will soon order the FD adapter so I can continue to use my FD lenses on a digital body. My ultimate desire though is to own a EOS body and go digital most of time and use the G1 on a limited basis because of the stop down method required to focus with this combo. I'm interested in the 40D or 30D. I'm looking for a body only and want to add the 17-85 IS lens which would also be refurbished and offers something wide at the wide end unlike the 28-135. Adorama carries the 30D body only but the 40D is offered as a kit only. Since I want a lens that's wide on the wide end I've ruled out the 28-135 kit lens. Where can I find a 40D body only? I like the idea of refurbished because of the warranty. Would you recommend the 30D, it's cheap at $499 but doesn't offer the live view of the 40D which I think could be very useful.<br>

Mark</p>

<p>Check B&H Photo. They sell factory refurbished but don't list them that way. Look at their used section. Generally the refurbished items will say "email for condition". You'll then get an email back stating if it is refurbished.</p>

<p>Also, Adorama stock will change. Keep checking back there.</p>

<p>Thanks for all the comments. Since I jut ordered a G1 the 40D is on the back burner unless I find something to good to pass on. I've chosen it over the less expensive 30D because of LV and the newer processor. Checking out the Canon link, their refurb 40D costs as much as Adorama's 40D + 28-135 kit. Why is a full frame lens included with a cropped body in kit form? I would like to see them bundled with the 17-85 instead.</p>

<p>I think that the 40D is a significant upgrade from the earlier models (20D and 30D). It's probably the best intersection of value, function, and price at this time for an APS-C camera with the 50D and the 7D out there to tempt those who need something "new and improved." I think the more expensive 5D is also at a good value/cost point on the same lines.</p>

<p>So save your pfennige and keep it in mind.</p>

<p>You also might want to consider used. I've had good luck with used equipment from KEH, and I've had many good experiences with new equipment from B&H and Adorama, so I assume their used departments would also be good. All offer a short warranty (enough to make sure the camera/lens is working well). If there is a problem, it's generally going to show up quickly, and it's rare for someone to shoot enough to wear out a body or lens. From my experience, most of the newer model used cameras are from someone upgrading from a good camera to the "latest-and-greatest" camera.</p>

<p><em>I've had many good experiences with new equipment from B&H and Adorama...</em><br>

Thanks for the feedback<br>

<em>...so I assume their used departments would also be good. All offer a short warranty... </em><br>

In Adorama's case, 90 days</p>

<p><strong>Helen Oster<br />Adorama Camera Customer Service Ambassador</strong><br>

helen.oster@adoramacamera.com<br>

www.adorama.com</p>

<p>Just to weigh in. I bought a refurbished 40D from Adorama back in February. 20,000+ actuations later and the only problem is the beginnings of the dreaded shutter release button stick. I'll probably send it into Canon when I can no longer deal with the frustration. However, I'm immensley satisfied with the refurbished route and with Adorama in general. </p>

<blockquote>

<p>Checking out the Canon link, their refurb 40D costs as much as Adorama's 40D + 28-135 kit. Why is a full frame lens included with a cropped body in kit form? I would like to see them bundled with the 17-85 instead.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Been there done that... The 40D/17-85 was a widely distributed kit bundle back in the day. However it didn't sell as well as the cheaper 28-135 IS and 18-50 kits (too expensive), hence the proliferation of "white box" 17-85 on fleabay and internet dealers.</p>

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

<p>Mark<br>

My apologies for taking so long to respond.<br>

Your comment re the kits is similar to requests we have received in the past, and the new Adorama database is being structured to accommodate personalizing the recommendations in ways that customers find them relevant, so your input is extremely valuable.<br>

<strong>Helen Oster<br />Adorama Camera Customer Service Ambassador</strong><br>

helen.oster@adoramacamera.com<br>

www.adorama.com</p>