POW Nov. 15, 2009

dugger

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<p>@manuel R.: I like Javier's shots as much as anyone, but do realize that jpegs out of the camera have serious post processing performed. It happens using software within the camera. In the custom image menus, there are settings for saturation, contrast, hue, sharpness, and white balance. The "purest" approach to shooting out of a DSLR would entail publishing an unaltered jpeg of straight RAW image, and even that would probably have some jpeg-induced magic.</p>

<p>ME</p>

<p>John, that first receeding fog shot has really nice colour. Just a couple of minor things I might change, and that would be touching out the white speck near the bottom right, and the trees at the edge of the frame on lower left. Great light though. Will comment on more later.</p>

<p>I haven't been on here for a few weeks, my computer died and then I was away photographing the first thing I've down professionally - a national motorsport race meet. Getting flown to the meet, put up, given a camera and a press pass was not a bad experience. Quite a learning curve when you have to photograph something as coverage. A good learning expereince. You have a to be quite bold and pushy, but that's easier to do than you might think when you're there as a pro photographer.</p>

<p>These are some of the images I have edited that I took. My job when I got to shoot was mostly covering the general atmosphere, kids, crowd, girls and I also did some pit stuff and on-track pre-race shots. The pit stuff was quite exciting, as the guys are very busy and in a confined space. You have to be prepared to put your camera right in people's faces, but also to get out of the way quickly. They're also not keen on you photographing some of the more high-tech car alterations.</p>

<p>These are with Nikon D2H (old, pro level journalism camera at time), and some Nikkor zoom. Lacking a flash made it a bit more difficult in some situations.</p><div>00V1B0-191041684.jpg.de9e61d136c1c7b72ab23e0b1702ad69.jpg</div>

<p>I've been taking foliage pictures for the past three weeks and can't look at it anymore, so I'm posting three from last month taken in Manhattan. It was a nice walk from East 59th Street and Fifth, at the bottom of Central Park to Lincoln Center on the West Side at 66th Street.<br>

#1</p>