Help Me Pick Out A Good P & S Camera For My Wife

topcat84

<p>Hi Everyone,<br>

I'd like to buy a compact point and shoot camera for my wife that has a good zoom, large LCD screen, video capability w/sound, and possibly a viewfinder for around $300. She would like to be able to carry it with her at all times, so compact size would be essential. She'd prefer Nikon or Canon, but wants the best camera available at that price. She also enjoys taking closeups of flowers, insects, etc. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Cheers !!<br>

Terry</p>

<p>They both make very nice cameras. With their own strong and weak points. Rather than just concentrate on cost, you have to decide which make she likes and prefers, that will help you a lot. P/S cameras because of their narrow depth of field are very good at macros. It would be wise to take her with when shopping for it so she can hold it and look at it. Sony also makes nice little cameras.</p>

<p>Canon, without a doubt. Canon's P&S's are head-and-shoulders above Nikon's. Canon's all have great color, accurate metering, and simple controls.</p>

<p>Don't even think about LCD size, zoom, video, macro, or portability, as EVERY SINGLE P&S out there is essentially the same in these respects. Sure, some zoom more than others, but "4x" is about all that is needed. I've never seen a decent photograph taken with a P&S out beyond this range. It's an interesting trick to be able to zoom in 20x and photograph a window on a building 2 miles away, but who would ever do that?</p>

<p>Canon's SD940 is about $300, but has no viewfinder. The SD990 has a viewfinder, but is about $400. Not that you have to spend $400 to get a viewfinder, it's just a very rare feature nowadays.</p>

<p>The SD780 has a viewfinder, and is available for under $300. Personally, I hate this camera because I think it's TOO small. It's about the size of a credit card. It doesn't have any wide-angle to speak of, and only zooms 3x, which even I would find limiting. If these things don't matter, it might be the right camera. Otherwise, good luck. If I couldn't find exactly what I wanted for $300, I would look at used cameras on eBay instead, and save my money.</p>

<p>Personally I've gone through two Canon P&S & they both drive me insane. I can't ever get them to focus where I want them to etc. So I seriously consider them a pain.<br>

A few things from the viewpoint of a woman...<br>

1 - she really has to do this herself, because what you think is great & nifty she will probably not think is so great & nifty.<br>

2 - make sure she has a viewfinder for those bring days when she can't see a thing on the LCD screen<br>

3 - I recently handed over a camera to a none camera friend (a woman) who was going to Australia for the first & probably only time in her life. She's knows little about photography & needed something she could simply - point & shoot. I handed her a cheap little Sony Cyber-shot I have for "emergencies" for eBay etc. She came back with probably 60-70 shots & when she saw them on my 24" screen she was thrilled with the result. The things she pointed out about the little camera were these - simple to use, viewfinder which made life so easy in the sunlight of the day, & how long the battery lasted.<br>

A few things to keep in mind.</p>

<p>I have a Canon SD890IS and am happy with it for what it's intent is. The video is surprisingly good as is the zoom. The viewfinder is pretty small (they all are), but nice to have. It's under $200 now from amazon, etc. I've owned Canon P&S cameras from the SD100 up to this one, and have always been very happy with them. As Hal said, Canon does a pretty good job with this market.</p>

<p>After much research, I just recently bought a Canon SD940 (I have Nikon DSLR's) and I'm very pleased with it. Other than good picture quality, my main requirement was that it be as small as possible. The SD940 is the smallest P&S that Canon makes I believe. (It replaced my Casio 1080). Decent wide angle and zoom. Good sized LCD viewer and really easy to use in automatic mode. Menu structure and navigation could be better but overall I'm extremely happy with it. It has HD video as well.</p>

<p>Oh there are so many choices! If she likes really tiny cameras that slip into a pocket, the Canon Digital Elphs are not bad. My current Elph is SD780 IS with 12.1MP. I like it. But this is just one of the many good ones, of course. </p>

<p>A side-by-side comparison of selected models should help: <a href="http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sidebyside.asp">http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sidebyside.asp</a></p>

<p>Good luck!</p>

<p>I'm partial to Olympus P&S digicams. I've owned three and all provided great JPEGs right from the camera, ready to print or share on the web. Flattering skin tones and moderate color saturation and contrast, which I prefer over cartoon colors. Olympus cameras seem capable of mimicking the look of color portrait films like Fuji NPH very well, which I like. The cameras have been very reliable too. Even my 2nd generation Oly P&S from the early days still works - the SmartMedia cards will probably die before the camera does.</p>

<p>And my C-3040Z has been more durable and reliable than my D2H. And I've used the Oly as heavily as the Nikon, including in high heat and humidity, slight precipitation, etc. Nothing really wrong with the D2H - a minor problem fixed under warranty, the rubbery grip panels loosening at the corners, and this year it began needing two presses of the shutter release button on the first shot after the camera has been turned off for awhile. After that it works fine. But the Olys have never had a single problem.</p>

<p>One thing I never thought to take into account until now is how a company stands behind it's products, and unfortunately Nikon let me down. Sony has a pretty good return/repair policy, as does Olympus, which is beneficial for a camera that's in a purse or pocket all the time.<br>

Nikon told us that we would be required to pay for a new lense on the Coolpix we had because of a key scuff on the side of the camera. My daughter kept her house key in the same pocket as the camera in her bag, and it marked up the side. They told us that it was obviously damage from a drop, so we'd have to pay more than the camera was worth to replace the lens.<br>

I love Nikon's gear, but their customer service and unwillingness to listen to a customer explain the details of their camera leaves a lot to be desired if problems ever arise.</p>