Tell me if I'm stupid, but why is Lightroom 2.5 downloadable for free from Adobe?

Yes, download and install it. It is a full copy of the program. If you have a previous version running it will update it with your previous imports,catalogues etc. If you have a valid registration code - great! If not, then you are running a time limited to a 30-day trial. There are also no real program 'limitations' when running it in 'trial'.

<p>Why do you find it strange that you can download it for a free trial? Almost all application vendors allow you to do that. I used the download to see if Lightroom would work for me and I love it - Adobe got a sale out of me after the trial period expired. Makes perfect sense to me.</p>

<p>Nah, i don't find it strange that you can download a free trial. It's just that this appears separate from the free trial as an update.<br /> Anyway yea, i was talking about this with a friend and we figured just as much.<br /> It's just that it seemed rather peculiar at the time when i first saw it precisely because it appears as an update while the free trial appears separately with access through your adobe account.<br /> Come to think of it, i guess it makes sense because an update in this sense is for both current and new users to download and not just new users to whom the free trial would only apply to.<br /> I guess it was a little stupid of me to not quite figure this out earlier.. Ha</p>

<p>The update doesn't ask for the license, it's checks your system for it, and if found, simply jumps the steps in the installation to the install and finish. Adobe is smart enough to know where the licenses should be kept and simply checks them. What is frustrating is that it's not in the update check with Creative Suite (yes, I know it's not part of CS), but they could put that in the update checker anyway.</p>