Good midpriced (under 500?) wide-angle for my XSi...

stefographer

<p>Will be shooting some smallish interior rooms that a friend has designed....<br>

He's buying- or going in half, for a good wide angle, as there will be other rooms i'll be shooting for him<br>

over time....and from what i understand- there's something tricky about getting true wide-angle with my XSi's sensor, yeah?<br>

And is it a joke to call under $500 mid-priced? lol<br>

Thats probably more like low-end, eh?<br>

U all have been SO helpful previously... thought i'd reap the benefits of all that knowledge yet again..<br>

And a very big thanks for all input and replies, guys.....<br>

Happy shooting....<br>

S.Stefan Tonio</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Do you have the 18-55mm kit lens (bundled with your XSi, if you bought it as a kit)? If that's not wide enough for you, then you really only have few options--either a Canon or third party ultrawide zoom lens in the 10-20 range. I have the Canon 10-22 and it's a great lens, but you're looking at over $700 for that one. Sigma makes a 10-20 in your price range, but I have no experience with it. I'm sure you'll hear from others who can tell you about it. If you don't have the kit 18-55, then you might want to see if you can try one. It's a much more versatile all around lens, but may not be wide enough. It's also a lot cheaper than an ulra wide.</p>

<p>Yes, your XSi has a small(er) sensor and that means the image gets cropped from the standard 35mm size. Wide angle is no longer very wide and you have to get ultra wide in order to do what you need to do.</p>

<p>The older Sigma (10-20mm f/4-5.6 EX DC HSM) is still available in your price range, and I have found mine to be an excellent "ultrawide" on the APS-C bodies. There are perhaps (?) some issues with the newer f/3.5 10-20, but it is outside your price range in any case.<br>

There are some other good, according to reviews, 10 to 12mm on-the-short-end zooms from Tokina and Tamron, but I am not acquainted with them personally.</p>

<p>See Photozone.de for detailed reviews of all of these. I have found that the unavoidable barrel distortion of these lenses is easily corrected in Filter>Distort>Lens in Photoshop (and, I suppose, other programs).<br /> </p>

<p>Hey all- Yes i do have the kit 18-55, but had bad barrel with it (didnt know how 'easily' correctable it is apparently, altho i haven't tried it in my Photoshop yet...)...didn't realize that THAT should be wide enough for a smaller room... (dont have actually measurements)...<br>

The friend and i decided (somewhat mistakenly apparently_ that in a small room- a wide-angle would be better, as we both became leary of using the kit that had given the unacceptable distortion (again- before i learned it was my fault somwhat for not having a good grasp of barrel distortion and it's remedies...).<br>

I would luv to be able to add another lens, so i would like to go ahead and let my friend help/get the wide-angle for me....<br>

And this Filter>Lens>Distort... i only have PS CS (8).. i don't see the Lens option... Is it only for CS4..?<br>

Thanks everybody....</p>

If you can spring for the Canon 10-22 you can use Digital Photo Professional to automatically correct barrel distortion (it doesn't work with third-party lenses, much to my chagrin). I own the Tamron 10-24 f/3.5-4.5 which is in your budget, but I need to use Photoshop CS4 to correct the distortion. Easily enough, though.