Need a carry on vacation case, suggestions?

kevin_b.2

<p>I am going to switzerland here in 1 month. So I am in a hurry to buy a hard case with padding that I can bring as carry on. I will be taking the following<br>

Canon 40d<br>

Canon Rebel XTI<br>

Canon 70-200m 2.8 IS<br>

Sigma 18-50mm 2.8</p>

<p>The tripod plus any accessories are going to be in checked luggage. Anyone have any suggestions. I am hoping not to have to spend over $100. I like the vanguard cases but I'm really not sure if they are big enough for what I want yet small enough for carry on. Thanks,</p>

<p>Just some thoughts, if it's a carry on, why do you need hard case? I carry on my camera gear in either non-photo daypack or a crumpler bag. Explore cambags.com if you haven't already. Lately I've been leaving slr/dslr gear at home for flights and just taking my g9, very happy with the lighter load.</p>

<p>If you must have a hard case, I'd choose Pelican. I have a 1510 and it works for me on domestic flights (FAA max). Not sure about international. Go to <a href="http://www.pelican.com/cases_detail.php?Case=1510">http://www.pelican.com/cases_detail.php?Case=1510</a>. It's more than $100, but I got mine on Craig's List for under $100. Try there or Ebay.</p>

<p>A different choice would be the Kata 3in1-30. It's not a hard case, but is smaller than my 1510 and I would imagine it would pass international. It is a back pack / sling pack that will hold everything you mentioned and more. Go to <a href="http://www.kata-bags.com/productFRM2HS.asp?p_Id=433&Version=Photo">http://www.kata-bags.com/productFRM2HS.asp?p_Id=433&Version=Photo</a> and check it out. I sold my other bags when I purchased this. You can get the 3in1-20 for under $100 and the 3in1-30 for just over.</p>

<p>Have a great trip! M. Scott Clay</p>

<p>I use the Tamrac Aero 80 small backpack for travel. It holds 40D,50D, 60 macro, 70/200L, 10/20, 18/125, will hold 400L in case if you only carry one body, 13"laptop & power supply, plus external drive, photobank, chargers , extra batteries, cards, filters, etc. It is legal carryon on all airlines except Airlingus where it is about 1" above specs. I've used it as carryon baggagel in the states and Ireland, Scotland and Great Britain with no problems. Paid about $80 for mine. Well padded too.</p>

<p>If you are only bringing 2 bodies and 2 lenses, you dont really need a whole carry-on to fit it. You could use any carry on, and buy 2 toploaders. Then you would be able to use the toploaders as active shooting bags. Just a thought.<br>

Another option would be a smaller pelican than the 1510. I have the 1500 and it is just about perfect for 2 bods and 2 lenses. you could even go a size smaller.<br>

are you looking for a hard shell carry-on that will just hold 2body/2lenses? or a carry on that will hold that plus clothes? Clarification would help. Also are you planning to shoot out of the bag?</p>

<p>My regular carry on camera case is a regular carry on luggage bag. It does not scream "Steal Me! I have expensive camera gear inside." I stuff the lenses inside socks and wrap the bodies in underwear. That is enough padding unless you normally throw your bag around like the gorilla in the old Samsonite commercial. So if my checked luggage gets lost by the airlines I at least have a clean change of underwear. Given what you have, you also have room for your gear and assorted useful items such as a book to read on the flight.</p>

<p>Danny</p>

<p>Try the Think Tank Urban Disguise, It does not look like a camera bag, easily checks, will handle your gear plus a laptop. Plenty of padding for your gear. Has a handle and/or a shoulder strap, and if you are really worried about the weight, there is a harness for it as well. I now have three Think Tank bags, and am convinced there are none better. BTW, look at the features on the Think Tank site, but purchase it from B&H or Adorama, as they ship free. Think Tank does not.</p>

<p>I'll second the Kata - think about when you're on vacation with your camera gear - you want to carry it around with you all day as you explore your destination.</p>

<p>Well, the easiest way for me to carry weight is in a backpack, not with an over-the-shoulder strap, or wheeled around, or briefcase carry style.</p>

<p>I use a Heys four wheel spinner carry-on. It fits my Manfrotto 190 CF4 tripod (minus the ball-head), my 6MDH with 5D2, 3 lenses, 1 flash, filters, charger etc. I can easily get a change of clothes in there too.<br>

$80 or less and its a hard case that is nice and low key and complies with airline specs for overhead baggage bins.</p>

<p>What do you think is going to happen to your cameras sitting right over your head? Or in the few seconds that you can't see it after putting it on the security belt and picking it up at the far end? I suppose I ask because the vast majority of photographers , certainly including this one, travel with their cameras in the same shoulder-bag or backpack as they use at the other end. Hard cases, particularly Pelicans, are very heavy and a PITA to carry. I have one but I don't think about using it unless I'm going to have to check some equipment, or unless I was working out of a jeep in some really rough conditions. </p>