Which SLR for Beginner?

jackie_peterson

<p>I am looking to buy an SLR for the first time. Right now I want to use it mainly for travel photography, but I would also like to have a camera that gives me room to build a portfolio and grow so that I could possibly start a career in portrait and/or event photography in the next few years. My husband is a professional athlete so I would like to be able to photograph his games as well. I know the Canon 40d is great for action, but I'm not sure if I can afford it right now. Would another Canon model do well with action, travel and also give me room to grow? Also, where is the best place to purchase a Canon SLR for a good price? Thank you for any input.</p>

<p>All of the name brand camera makers, build easy to use, high quality machines. The brand choices seem endless, and in truth are almost irrelevant! In practical use, one brand is as good as another. Sort of like comparing, Chevy to Ford.<br /> The best place to buy (IMHO) in the US, is B&H in NYC. They have good prices, large selection. And they'll take it back if you don't like it.</p>

<p>As for what to buy. try Google: DSLR reviews, and be prepared to read through a lot of material. Even if you buy a bottom rung, entry level camera. it will serve as a 2nd body,or back up if and when you buy a more advanced model. But in reality today's entry level cameras have decent pixel counts. So an entry level DSLR might be all you need?</p>

<p>I can only talk about canon, because that is what I shoot.</p>

<p>The first thing you should do is go to a store and handle one of the 'consumer' level cameras and one of the 'prosumer' ones. The consumer cameras are the XS, XSi, and T1i. The prosumer models are the 50D and 7D. (The 40D was replaced by the 50D, and the 30D recommended by Mike was replaced by the 40D.) The consumer models are a little smaller, a lot lighter, and plastic. The prosumer models are bulkier but have better ergonomics and controls, as well as a variety of other additional things. If you pick one of each with the same number of megapixels, the sensors will be the same, and the images will be essentially the same also. The more advanced cameras make it easier to get things set as you want, but once they are set right, the two (given the same lens) will take much the same image. The two categories feel very different, and the controls work differently.</p>

<p>At this point, the consumer level cameras are serious and capable cameras. E.g., some of the best macro shots you can find on the web were taken with a consumer-level Canon less capable than any now sold. So they are all more than adequate for starting out.</p>

<p>Nikon, Canon, Pentax, and Sony all make very good entry level cameras. Go to B&H's website and check prices to see which cameras are in your price range. Then check their tests on popphoto.com and dpreview.com. Then go to a store that has the cameras that interest you and handle them. Make your choice based on how they feel in your hands, how you like the controls and menues, and the availability of lenses and assorted doodads. Pick your lenses the same way. Once you decide what focal lengths you want do the same thing, but also consider lenses from Sigma, Tamron, and Tokina. They make very good lenses that are usually less expensive than comparable lenses from the camera maker.</p>

<p>Don't worry now about a future pro career. In a couple of years all of todays cameras will have been replaced, so you'll make your decision then.</p>

<p>B&H is very good, but to start out I would seriously look at Cameta Camera. They have full kits that not only include the camera and lens(es), but also will include the camera bag, CF/SD card, cleaning kit, and a few other items. You can get there from here.<br>

http://stores.ebay.com/Cameta-Camera<br>

Really a nice bunch of people too. </p>

<p>Thanks for the input. I've been researching a lot and I think I have narrowed it down to two models: Canon Rebel Xsi(450d) and the Canon EOS 40d. It seems like the main advice I have been given is that the lens is really the most important part right now. And if I don't have the extra money to spend that I should most likely go with the consumer model especially since I am not a pro...at least not for a long while. This being said I have two questions: 1. Would it be a good choice to go with the less expensive Canon Rebel XSi and then buy a better lens? 2. How do you feel about buying new or even used cameras from ebay? I have seen several good deals on there for new and used models.</p>

<p>Jackie, lenses are indeed more important than bodies. Good lenses stay. Bodies come and go.<br>

But did you hold both cameras? They're quite different, size and weight wise. I've handled both on some occassion (but not a Canon user myself) and where I personally found the 30D/40D bodies quite OK, the 350D/400D (rebels) were way too small to my liking. Of course, YMMV, but it is very worth checking out first.</p>

<p>If you are serious about wanting to photograph your husband's sport/game, and he is going to be the 'main subject', you are going to need something more than the typical 'kit lens', which is usually something like a 28-90 (wide angle to low level telephoto). You may want to simultaneously research a good 300mm telephoto lens that will be compatible with whatever camera you decide on. A quality "tele converter" will extend the zoom reach of the 300mm even further allowing you to really zoom in and get some nice pics. Since this kind of lens is not cheap, you may want to see if any place in your area rents these type lenses for those special events. I know Canon makes some high quality 300mm zooms, as I've seen nature and bird photos in books and magezines. The main reason I mention all this is that, in my opinion, its unrealistic to get 'close up' shots of any athelete from the 'stands' using a typical 'kit' lens. Perhaps the pro photographers can elaborate on this more clearly...</p>

<p>For used cameras and lenses, I recommend KEH (www.keh.com) wholeheartedly. B&H has a used department also and they are a safe place to buy from. Adorama is also a good place to shop - their prices on film, paper, SD cards, etc, are very competitive. </p>

<p>I agree with Alan that a lens under 100mm is going to be hard to use for shooting your husband's competitions unless you get to stand on the field nearby.</p>

<p>Bodies may come and go, but in digital work the quality and character of the sensor built into the camera matter much more than was the case in film, where virtually any body would manage to hold the film flat.<br>

The xxD series of APS-C (roughly 15x22mm sensor size) and the new 7D have a more sophisticated (I think) operating system than do the "Rebels" (aka xxxD outside the USA, and you really don't want to know what they're called in Japan). Even so, there is just as much capability for good picture taking in the 'Rebels' as in the other Canon cameras; and there are people who prefer them to the heavier, larger bodies of the xxD series.<br>

The 40D is a superb camera, significantly more advanced than the 20D and 30D, but it is now discontinued so you either have to get what is called "new old stock" or buy used. The big, good NY stores as well as others sell used cameras with a modest warranty. On the other hand, the older 20D and 30D models are quite fine. In fact, I am still shooting with a 20D myself, and also have a 5D and an XTi. These older models are quite cheap and do very well. I think just about any digital SLR that is <em>over</em> 6MP in image size will work fine, and although the Canons are clearly superior, the Nikons and other cameras are really just as good if, well, you know...</p>

<p><a href="../photodb/user?user_id=1841065">JDM von Weinberg</a> quote<br>

"The xxD series of APS-C (roughly 15x22mm sensor size) and the new 7D have a more sophisticated (I think) operating system than do the "Rebels" (aka xxxD outside the USA, and you really don't want to know what they're called in Japan)"<br>

actually the "operating system" sensor? of the Canon Rebel line have the same sensor size of the XXD models but with improved technology - definitely better than older discontinued 40D! The current Canon model 7D is the best but it's still a little pricey. For the OP - look at current models from all the brands in the last year www.dpreview.com</p>

<p> </p>

<p>The "operating system" is the set of knobs, buttons, screens, and generally the associated "software" that runs the camera, setting shutter speed, apertures, and so on. It has nothing to do with which sensors are in the body.</p>

<p>It's like what Mac OS X or Windows 7 do for the hardware that is the actual computer.</p>

<p>And "improved" or not, the sensors on <em><strong>all</strong> </em> the cameras being discussed will do the job, unless you have some compulsion for the "latest thing", in which case, you will be swapping cameras a lot over the years. The sensor (and other, for that matter) changes are essentially evolutionary, rather than revolutionary, although what I read about the 7D does suggest some important steps forward.</p>

<p>Jackie,</p>

<p>I would steer you away from eBay until you know a bit more about lenses, and most importantly what to look for and what questions to ask the seller. Until you can spot a bad deal from a good one, you are going to be playing with luck, on the auction site. try going to KEH.com and Adorama.com and BHPhoto.com and check out their used stuff. I like KEH. even "bargain" condition stuff may turn out to look almost new.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Jackie, you asked about lenses and mentioned that you would like to shoot sports. Sports photography will frequently call for access to a telephoto; you will want a second lens that has a narrower field of view than the usual kit lenses. Just about any DSLR body, kit lens, and then a second telephoto would probably hold you. When you get into that second telephoto, you may want to consider adding a monopod. When the field of view gets narrow, with telephoto, you will notice that it becomes more difficult to steadily handhold the camera. </p>

<p>Any DSLR will be a good starter camera for you. The beauty of SLR cameras in general is you can start cheap and gradually upgrade as you get more experience and money and know better what you need. The real differences is in the frame format as they determine what lenses you can use. The format choices are full frame, APS frame and 4/3 frame. 4/3 frame is a new concept and I am not sure it will last. Full frame will be around for a very long time but I think that APS will also be around for a very long time.</p>

<p>My advice is get what you can afford in an APS frame DSLR camera from Sony, Canon or Nikon. You did not mention what sport your husband plays but most sports photography require long fast telephotos in the 200mm and up focal lengths. I would recommend a 18-70mm and a 70-300mm (or something in that general range) zoom lens as your beginning lenses.</p>

<p>If you end up making a serious hobby or a profession out of photography you will be buying more lenses and extra bodies, so do not fret too much about your starter set. Get something you can start shooting with and see how it turns out. If you decide to go for it, you will be buying a lot of supplemental equipment anyway.</p>

<p>What is probably more important than your camera choice is your computer. If you want to be serious about digital photography, you will end up doing your own digital darkroom work. That requires a powerful computer and Photoshop. Today we are looking at least 8GB memory, at least a dual core CPU and preferably a quad core and should be a 64 bit system. I upgraded to a 64 bit system when CS4 was released and the speed difference is very noticeable over a 32 bit system. So in addition to the camera, you may need to buy a new computer as well. For now that computer must be a PC as Photoshop does not yet support 64 bit on the Mac.</p>

<p>Danny</p>