Paterson / Phillips PCA2060 colour analyser - Suitable for all enlargers

<p>Hiya,</p>

<p>I couldn't find a colour darkroom printing section so I hope this is OK, it's the closest I could find.</p>

<p>I have been given a PCA2060 and I have an Axomat 5 with colour head, will the analyser work with this enlarger or only the Philips additive enlargers?</p>

<p>I followed the instructions for the unknown negative basically the 3 colour labelled dials were set to 0 so I put the diffuser in place, set my enlarger lens to f/8 and clicked the the cyan button and moved the probe until it deflected the balance needle to the far right. Then bringing down the the exposure time the needle eventually aligned on zero. Next step, yellow. So I clicked the yellow button, the needle deflected to the far left, and without moving the probe I can't get it to get anywhere away from the left.<br>

<br /> I tried opening up the lens to f/5.6 which helped but by the time I went through cyan, yellow, magenta and then clicked cyan again as it says to, the cyan setting had the needle off of the zero mark again!<br>

<br /> Does anyone know if this analyser is suitable, and if so, what the devil is going on? The instructions aren't very clear (well to a silly sausage like me they're not :)</p>

<p>Thanks!<br>

Vicky</p>

<p>Hi Vicky,</p>

<p >The following procedure should work.</p>

<p > </p>

<p >Place your typical test negative in the enlarger and set magnification to cover an 8x10, compose and focus.</p>

<p > </p>

<p >By trial and error you must make a beautiful print. The meter will be of little help for this task. To make the trial print, set the lens at its middle aperture. Set the Cyan filter wheel at 0. Set the Magenta filter wheel to 50. Set the Yellow filter wheel to 70. Make a series of test prints at different times centered around 20 seconds. Select best print for density. Use best print exposure time as you continue. </p>

<p > </p>

<p >Examine this print for color. Judge and alter values small = 10 medium = 20 large = 30</p>

<p > </p>

<p >Continue trial and error: </p>

<p > </p>

<p >Too yellow elevate yellow filter value</p>

<p >Too magenta elevate magenta filter value</p>

<p >Too cyan reduce equally magenta & yellow filters</p>

<p >Too red elevate equally magenta & yellow filters</p>

<p >Too blue reduce yellow filter </p>

<p >Too green reduce magenta filter</p>

<p >Too dark reduce time</p>

<p >Too light increase time</p>

<p > </p>

<p >Repeat agin and again until a good print is made.</p>

<p > </p>

<p >Now we calibrate the meter.</p>

<p > </p>

<p >Everything is re-set to the same setting that made the good print – everything is height filters and aperture.</p>

<p > </p>

<p >Place probe on skin tone. Adjust attenuators on the meter to center red- green – blue readings and adjust time attenuator to read the same time as test print.</p>

<p > </p>

<p >Making a print:</p>

<p > </p>

<p >Place negative in gate and compose and focus.</p>

<p >Filters on the enlarger set to 0 cyan 50 magenta 70 yellow.</p>

<p >With meter take a red reading. Adjust lens aperture till meter nulls to center.</p>

<p >Take a green reading. Adjust magenta filter till meter nulls to center.</p>

<p >Take a blue reading. Adjust yellow filer till meter nulls to center. </p>

<p > </p>

<p >Each set interacts so you must --</p>

<p > </p>

<p >Re-take the red reading fine tune aperture till meter nulls.</p>

<p >Re-take green reading. Adjust magenta filter till meter nulls to center.</p>

<p >Re-take blue reading. Adjust yellow filer till meter nulls to center. </p>

<p > </p>

<p > Do this again: </p>

<p > </p>

<p >Re-take the red reading fine tune aperture till meter nulls.</p>

<p >Re-take green reading. Adjust magenta filter till meter nulls to center.</p>

<p >Re-take blue reading. Adjust yellow filer till meter nulls to center. </p>

<p > </p>

<p >Exposure time will be the same as test print. You can move the enlarger up or down however this will effect exposure time and or aperture. Meter will read a revised exposure time for this set-up i.e. new magnification and or different aperture - light or dense negative. </p>

<p > </p>

<p >OK to email if you have questions. These insurrections are generic and do not cover your specific meter however all operate on the same principle. </p>