Timemachine Questions

<p>I run timemachine because I don't know what else is good but I have a scheduler to control the backups. My Q is, can I use timemachine backups as bootup? i noticed it copies everything off my MAC HD. does it mean that if my mac crashes i can use one of the timemachine backups to restore everything? has anyone done it? is it easy?<br /> sorry for all the questions. thanks!</p>

<p>Time Machine doesn't maintain a clone of your drive in one place. It's more advanced than that - it makes an initial copy and keeps track of changes, so you can recover files from any time in the backlog. Don't drop Time Machine - this capability is often important. Tradeoff is you don't have a clone, so you don't have a bootable drive, just a whole mess of files in a structure that can be interpreted by Time Machine. If your hard drive dies what you need to do is replace it, install OSX and use Migration Assistant on the Time Machine drive. If you want a bootable clone drive that's what SuperDuper or Carbon Copy Cloner do well.</p>

<p>Apple makes a great product here with Time Machine. If you do not want to get involved with lots of technical settings go with Time Machine. That is the great thing about Mac, everything is easy and seamless! What OS version are you running? Just get an external too. Another good OS backup system would be <a href="http://www.lacie.com/silverkeeper/">Silver Keeper</a>.<br>

<p><b>Signature URL removed. Not allowed per photo.net Terms of Use.</b></p></p>