What is a good beginner level DSLR?

<p>Hey All,<br>

Today was my first family photo shoot, and I discovered that film is very uneffecient when you are trying to meet peoples wants for family pictures. I want to break into the digital realm of photography. I am looking at the Canon Rebel XT right now. Does anyone have any better suggestions? I am hoping to spend around $400-$500.</p>

<p>Thanks,<br>

Landon</p>

<p>Hard to find a bad DSLR. They're all pretty good. Usually you want to look at the lenses that are available for each system; how much they cost, and how good are they in the price range you might someday consider. They try them out in a store you can buy from and see what you like. Also, if you have a friend that might loan you a lens or two, or just give you advice along the way, that might influence what brand to pick. Once you have that figured out start looking for a particular camera body to start with.</p>

<p>The Rebel XT is a fine older model. Certainly not the latest in features and image quality, but still very good, and they should be low cost. If you don't mind packing a heavier camera, a used Canon 20D or 30D can be had for about the same money, and are nicer cameras to shoot with.</p>

<p>the likes of canon and nikon have effectively two systems. the cheaper system is fine as a starter. sometimes, there might be compatibility issues with lenses. pentax, sony and olympus seem to have lenses where all bodies would be suitable for your investment. jeff has sound advice above. it is a good idea to get older manual digital body without the slr facility. after you have learnt the basics, life becomes easier.</p>

<p>Landon, your question is very open and as you can see above that everyone will give you a different answer. The main point to make is that buying a DSLR will not of itself make you a great or even a good photographer. It is like if I said I want to become an artist so what paint brush should I buy? So my sugestion at the moment is stick to what you have and learn about photography. Take as many pictures as you possibly can and be your own worst critic. Ask yourself ' how could I have made this photo better?' Look at shots from others you like or wish to copy and see what they have done. Then try to make you own. Read a book or two on photography techniques.</p>

<p>So - learn photography first then look for a better camera once you have outgrown your current model.</p>

<p>Landon<br>

For $500 you can buy a Canon XS with kit lens...<br>

A used XT or XTi just won't be less expensive <em><strong>enough</strong></em> to justify what you'll lose on those older models.<br>

I can't imagine doing better for less money than an XS.<br>

Enjoy.<br>

Paul</p>

<p>Olympus uses a smaller digital image sensor, and in order to give it enough pixels to keep up with the competition, those pixels have to be smaller than the ones in Canon, Nikon, Pentax or Sony. Smaller pixels usually create more noise (errant pixels), or the need for increased noise reduction that controls the noise by softening the image.</p>

<p>It's all relative of course, and some photographers insist on the larger full frame cameras that have even less noise, and increased sharpness than the cameras we've been talking about. The question is always, how small do you want to go? Or perhaps, how small can you tolerate? That said, Olympus has done pretty well at noise control with their latest camera bodies.</p>

<p>Jim</p>

<p>the point about sensor size being smaller is really quite trivial between APS and 4/3. The difference steps between either of these and full frame or either of these and compact cameras such as even the Canon G11 is much more significant</p>

<p> </p>

<p>As lenses go for entry level "kit" cameras, the Pentax DSLR cameras have some of the best entry level lenses available from any of the brands, not to mention their top-end lenses. And Pentax lenses (OEM and 3rd party) are often lower cost because Pentax puts shake reduction/vibration reduction in the camera body, not in the lenses as Canon and Nikon do. Pentax cameras often offer more value in purchase price due to the lack of advertising Pentax does. (No movie stars to pay, I don't think they even run TV commercials, at least in the USA.) Stop in over at the Pentax board for more information.</p>

<p>Okay, I'm a Pentax user. But honestly, any of the name brand cameras are so good nowadays that when the rubber meets the road (creating a finished image- electronic or print), you likely will not see any difference from brand to brand. Master the <em>skills</em> of lighting, composition, and exposure and you'll be able to tame any make and model of camera. Everything else is just bells and whistles.</p>

<p>http://www.pentaximaging.com/slr/</p>

• 2 weeks later...