Quickload or not?

frank_bunnik

<p>I am awaiting the arrival of my first 4x5 fieldcamera, a Crown Graphic with Graphlok back. On ebay I bought some filmholders and Ialso bought some b&w Fomafilm. I also like shooting slides. The quickload solution is tempting, though expensive (considering the film). Easy when travelling however. I am a bit afraid though that Fuji might cancel quickload film in the near future. I just saw on the website of Robert White that the last shipment of quickload Velvia is december 2009. I just saw it tonight so I was not yet able to ask if this means that Velvia 50 quickload goes out of production...<br>

Has anyone heard rumors that quickload production might be stopped? Would investing in quickload be a waist of money and would it be better to buy a Harrison pup tent and regular (and lots cheaper) regular 4x5 film?<br>

Thanks for your advice, Frank</p>

<p>I can't help you about Fuji discon'ing the quickload but I very much doubt it<br>

I myself would not go thru such an expense, loading and unloaded 4x5 plates is a piece of cake.<br>

If you find yourself an old polaroid back for about $15 you can use the Fuji FP-100c and 3000 B/W instant films and they are crazy off the hook wonderful. You purchase the 3 1/4 ones, NOT the 4x5's. Listen to the ipod podcast on Analog photography Radio and check out the Fuji interview with the Lady in charge over at Fuji. This was before the New instant films were here. She states how she was lobbying to bring them over and what else is to come.</p>

<p>At least Astia 100F and Pro 160S are still available in the USA. For me the best reasons for Q/L are dust and less volume for extended travel than multiple loaded double-sided film holders. But dust is much less of an issue nowadays with either neg film or hybrid workflow, than the traditional reason of reversal film printed optically (since it's really hard to get rid of dust on Ilfochrome prints because the spots show up black, not white).<br>

The major cons for Q/L are that the extended dark slide acts as a flag in any slight breeze at all, and that the end clips occasionally don't reseat properly causing a blown exposure due to a light leak (even with the triple-tap reseating regime) or get knocked off when in contact with others. Too, in transit or storage they can get bent from flat if not well protected. <br>

The Graflok is going to be much more of a challenge to load in a changing bag than standard double-sided holders. You'll definitely want some junk film and an evening's worth of practice before having to do it for real. Might also mention that the Photoflex Changing Room is bigger than the Harrison Pup Tent, well-constructed but less than half the price.</p>

<p>I use both loose sheet film, and Quickloads. They are more expensive, obviously. I'm not sure about any time saving advantage; you substitute a somewhat more fiddley routine in the field, versus spending time loading and unloading film holders. Probably for those who shoot high volumes of film there will be an advantage there.</p>

<p>I've also seen some claims that QL films stay flatter than loose sheets. Pfft... Someone is trying to rationalize the expense, methinks. Film flatness is seldom a problem with loose sheets, at least not for 4x5.</p>

<p>Quickloads will indeed generally reduce dust problems, and if you're trying to pack light most people figure you can carry more QL film for the same weight and bulk, vs. doubles.</p>

<p>Personally, I still prefer loose sheets. The money aspect is part of that, and I just prefer the workflow with an old style double film holder. YMMV.</p>

<p>Congratulations on your camera. The Crown Graphic was my first entry into LF too, and I really like their light weight, sturdy construction and simplicity. Hard to beat the cost also. I started w/ regular film holders and loading sheet film in a change bag, and it's a piece of cake. Dust has never been a problem as I'm pretty fastidious about cleaning the holders and the inside of the bag. There's some great videos that really helped me on loading the holders on youtube. I like the range of film selection w/ sheet film. The downside is the weight and bulk of the film holders. Maybe I'll eventually get another Grafmatic, but right now the prices have doubled on these for some reason.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>I have been a dedicated user of Quickload and it is indeed sad to see that the supply has become fragile. I invested in 700 sheets of Acros before it recently disappeared from the market. If I would have to guess, I'd say that chances are we have still access to Quickload in three years time. But I wouldn't want to guess whether it is still around in 10 years. That being said, the Fuji UK online store is still the best source for getting Quickload (http://www.fujilab.co.uk). They sometimes have offers of shortdated film. I think Robert White has become more cautious in investing in a stock of Quickload which is why they now tend to order it from Japan themselves when they have enough orders in.<br>

For me, regular 4x5" is not a real alternative to Quickload. I am schlepping my large format kit over the 4000m mark in the Alps which I couldn't do with a heap of Fidelity cassettes in my backpack. So if Quickload is phased out, then I will have to go for a digital back on my 4x5".</p>

<p>I would say skip the quick load. You do spend a little less time with the cleaning of the holder and you have less to worry about dust ruining a shot. But I just went on Ebay and bought a lot of film holds for 30 bucks and if I am going to go out on a trip I load them all up which gives me 50 shots to work with. IF i need to shoot more I always bring my old empty box of film and my new pack along with a can of compressed air to be able to reload my film holders at the motel I am staying later on at night.</p>