Looking to upgrade from D-70

rod_melotte

<p>I have a job which will let me upgrade from a D-70 to ? The sizes of the images I'm selling is increasing and 6.1 mega pix is just not enough any more. Are there any bang for buck recommendations? I don't need the biggest best newest. Just more pixels, although bells and whistles are nice if they are not too expensive. I want to stay under $1K.</p>

<p>Suggestions?</p>

<p>A big factor would be the lenses you use. Pay close attention to which bodies have, or don't have a built-in autofocus motor. If you like using something like the venerable 50/1.8, then some of the less expensive entry-level bodies aren't for you. Likewise, if you use the D70's built-in ability to use its pop-up flash as a CLS commander for an off-camera speedlight (or think you might do that very cool thing, down the road), then again, the less expensive bodies won't do the job. The D90 (and the D300/s) will do fine on both fronts.</p>

<p>One more vote for the D90, I had a D70 first, and the D90 made it look like a kid's toy. Don't expect too much from the video mode though. My only disappointment is the autofocus, that isn't much better than the D70. If you have more than $1K you may consider a D300.</p>

<p>My D70 just had it's mirror fixed after 15,000ish clicks (cost $250) and I rarely use the flash, at least until I got the camera back and teh hot shoe didn't work - all of a sudden I missed it.<br>

.<br>

I'll look into D90s - I'm also looking at Tokina 12mm wide angles as I seem to use my 18mm a LOT. <br>

.<br>

Thanks - I was looking at ALL the cameras that Nikon has brought out since 2005 and I was boggled.</p>

<p>I upgraded from a D70 to a D300 nearly to years ago. It's a significant upgrade -- image quality goes up at every sensitivity, the colors are better and so is the resolution. Ergonomics are also improved, e.g. the large screen permits more easier assessment of whether someone had their eyes closed or not. I recommend that you compare the D90 and the D300 and decide which one suits you better.</p>