How to find out the number of shots?

derek_vo

<p>I download all my images to lightroom and it can tell me exactly how many shots were made by a particular camera, serial number, lens, etc... Other than that there is no way to know for lower end canon dslr's. With my eos 1v film it can tell me the number of rolls than been through, and I am not sure but I've read somewhere that the digital 1 series do something like that as well. Maybe canon has some special way of finding out but you must call them and send it in.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>It's in the exif data for the photo. <br />Shoot a photo in jpg (Not RAW), then use a program like Irfanview to open the photo. <br />It will list the shutter actuations as part of the exif data.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>No it's not and no, it won't - or at least it won't report anything accurate in plain language. The astrojargon program seems to report a reasonable number, but I've no idea if it's accurate.</p>

<p>Irfanview tells me the shutter count from my Nikon D70. It's right there in plain view in the EXIF data, Irfanview lists "total pictures." But there is no such entry for JPEGs from my Canon 40D. I believe Nikon puts this in the EXIF for all their DSLR's, Canon only for the 1D and 1Ds series.</p>

<p>IF you have the menu (options) set to NOT re-start the file number sequence, and IF you have always formatted the card in the camera, and IF you have never used a card from another camera without formatting it first in your 40D, and IF you have the camera set NOT to fire without a card, then the file number (i.e., IMG_XXXX) should be the number of shots taken with the camera. (Assuming I haven't forgotton something in the list!)</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Canon only for the 1D and 1Ds series.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>It's in the Exif from all Canon bodies AFAIK - the question is simply whether the Exif tools we're using can decode the information.</p>

<p>Astrojargon's EOSInfo application is as accurate as makes no difference as far as my 40D is concerned - most likely more accurate than the record I've kept...</p>