35mm film

jonnymiller

<p>Pretty much all the films these days are fairly decent in absolute terms. Suggest that you try some short rolls if you can find them or at least 24-exposure rolls to see which <em><strong>you</strong> </em> like best.</p>

<p>It also matters what you're going to be doing with the film. If you are to project them, slides, of course; otherwise negative film for prints and scanning. For prints, the quality of the processor will be another major variable, since some are really sloppy while others take great care.</p>

<p>It would depend what you want to shoot. For color portraits Portra is great, Portra VC is all kinds of useful, for higher saturation and low grain Ektar or Reala, then there are the cheaper Kodak and Fuji films, and the slide films. For B&W it also depends on the look you want, they all have different characters and what you develop them with also influences the iage you get. I've got a lot of mileage out of Plus-X and Tri-X but lately have also been developing an appreciation for Fuji Acros's tonality and lack of grain - and the 120 version of Acros has to be the best value in 120 film. If you aren't feeling adventurous enough to get into B&W developing yet, there's Kodak 400CN, which is a B&W film that can be processed by any color film lab and looks great scanned.</p>

<p>Jonny, could you elaborate on what you mean by 'depth'? Are you speaking of saturation or perhaps exposure latitude? Are you interested in color negative or positive?</p>

<p>I have had good results with Fuji Superia 200. It is inexpensive, scans well and has good color rendition. Take a look at some of Ian Rance's <a href="../photos/iansgallery">photos</a> , he uses Superia 200 and has posted several photos.</p>

<p>Films I love...<br>

Slide film: Fuji Velvia 50 (Bold and pleasing saturation), Fuji Provia 100F (Totally accurate while remaining very vividly natural...hope that makes sense), Fuji 64T (Absolutely stunning effects when used as a night photography film under lights with a white cast. Also perfect when used for what it was intended for...tungsten lighting. Color night photography under sodium lamps never looked so good.)<br>

Color print: Fuji NPH 400 (I believe this is called Pro 400H now? Amazing everything...not a single complaint. Colors and contrasts are so smooth and grain is so controlled and small.)<br>

B&W Print: Ilford HP5, Ilford Pan F+ (Definately a film worth learning), Ilford Delta 100, Kodak Tmax 100, Kodak Tri-X (A film with some very unique characteristics that I just love)</p>

<p>I think there are some fantastic b&w white films out there - it really depends on the effect you like plus the lighting conditions you're shooting in! When I was trying different films out I tended to buy two or three rolls of each film to see how they turned out.<br>

Here's my favourites: Ilford HP5 (very flexible - can be uprated to 1600 ISO), Ilford FP4 (again can be uprated to 250 ISO or 500 ISO), Kodak Tri-X, Ilford 3200 Delta (grainy and great for low light but I've used in brighter conditions with red filter). I've also used Fuji Neopan 1600 but had better results with it in bright sunshine!<br>

I used to use Kodak Technical Pan - sadly no longer made - but Silverprint are advertising an alternative by Rollei - ATP - which I haven't tried yet. Has anyone tried it?</p>