Nikonos II

<p>Anyone have practical experience in replacing the no-longer available o-rings (body and lens base), for weatherproofness (not diving), and/or for diving? Nowhere have I been able to find the spec for these o-rings, yet they must be replaceable, with the myriads of different sizes made and available...<br>

How about the other technician-only o-rings?</p>

<p>http://www.allorings.com/oring_splicing_kits.htm<br>

Of course you need to measure diameter needed, i.e. groove width in the body. You need to use a caliper, not just a ruler, more precision is called for. O-ring diameter (wall thickness) typically wants to be about 5 - 15% larger than the groove width to guarantee some compression and enough material to provide a tight seal. O ring stock is sized both in English and metric sizes. Buna or epdm or nitrile would work here about the same, with epdm being the best for all weather use.<br>

The kit shown, that is only one example of what's available, provides the rubber cord stock and other goodies. T that red thing is a device that allows for you to cleanly slice the ends with a single edged razor blade. Instant adhesive (crazy glue, Black Max, etc.) is usually supplied to allow to glue the cut ends together. No, the joint is a simple square butt joint, no diagonals but the glue joint is really stronger than the rubber.<br>

It takes some practice to get it right, but it's not that hard. We use this all the time in factory applications where custom size o rings are often found or where, oops, we don't have the right size spare. Look to a seal supplier like Conover who should also stock literally tens of thousands of various o rings. McMaster Carr in NJ also is a great source.<br>

Hope it helps and don't glue your fingers together :o)</p>

<p>Jim</p>

<p>I already have the silicone grease, and I still have not received the camera! <br>

Found a place where their website claims to still do the yearly service on the Nikonos II. It's called Backscatter, and they have places on both coasts. I e-mailed them to confirm they can change the non-accessible rings (and the accessible ones) and depth-test the camera. If they can then I think I am going ahead and doing it, even if I leter continue to replace the accessible rings myself.</p>

• 1 month later...