Help Build My Portfolio

<p>Hi! I am a photography enthusiast who would like to make a bit of money from this hobby of mine hopefully by the summer of next year (weekend portraits/small weddings). Currently I'm just my kids' paparazzi but would like to be broaden my horizon. I'm thinking of starting out by taking small families or kids (no more than 2 kids/session). I'll move up in numbers as I get more comfortable.</p>

<p>I am taking a photography class now and my instructor said I should never do work for free. Which sounds great but if I'm new and this will be my first non-family shots, I'm doing this to test out my skills working with others, and to build my portfolio, I feel a bit weird charging. So I thought of not charging for the sessions but charge for whatever the cost of printing. I thought of not giving them the files but if they want it, retouched and all, that I'd charge $x/ea. Pretty reasonable, right?</p>

<p>Also, my instructor said it's best if they're people I don't know. But wouldn't it be more comfortable for me if it's people I know first?</p>

<p>What do you think? Any suggestions for a newbie will be greatly appreciated! Oh, each family I work with for my portfolio will need to agree to a model release before the session since it's one main reason I'm wanting to do this... need samples for my future website and stuff.</p>

<p>Hi Savitri,<br>

<br>

Your story sounds a lot like mine.<br>

I did the same last year in May when I started my business. You do need to get a business license though, assuming you’re in the USA. I started when people asking me to do their photography, while still being in class, working on assignments.<br>

I started out with my own kids, I have three daughters (15-19-21) one son (15) and two granddaughters (8mts-2.5 year), so there is plenty of "models" here. You are familiar with your family and friends so it's easier going working with them, less nervous, you’re still taking some time with your equipment etc.<br>

Now when you get unknown paying people you can't fool around too much with your equipment, you need to know what you’re doing. Also the first time with strangers can be nervous for you, at least that was my experience. All of a sudden these people are looking at you and are waiting for your instructions. In there eyes you’re the pro and as such are expected to handle the situation that way.<br>

Then my neighbor needed a photographer for an outside location event, which was my first real "non family" client. After this one my first studio "client" was a model that needed a portfolio. Both first two clients only paid for the prints and the model got a cd, as they helped me get over the first step.<br>

But as soon as client number 3 showed up it was normal paid clients from now on. And that’s pretty much how I started of.<br>

<br>

If I was you I charge for a separate sitting fee and for the prints, or create a package that includes both. In store portrait studios, like J.P, Se.rs, Wal...rt etc say the don't charge a sitting fee, but when you check there pricing and brake it down they all have one.<br>

Of course charge for touch-up, but I include a minor touch ups on school seniors or the yearbook photos I did the other day. They show those photos to their friends and you want it to look good so you get worth of mouth.<br>

<br>

When you do your family or give away freebees, every free client will tell you that you are a great photographer and make nice photos. But when you have unknown paying people you get a more realistic feedback. Good or bad feedback, but honest and you learn from it.<br>

Oh... you start with just 2 kids huh? Before you know you have a family with 5 kids, or a couple of 2 year olds that get away with anything by there parents, who doesn’t control them. Been there. </p>

<p > </p>

<p >Oh and if you still feel “funny” about charging them, think of it as paying back for the study and or equipment investment.</p>

<p > </p>

<p >Have fun, hope to here more from your progress, btw:</p>

<p >www.erwinpaulphotography.com</p>

<p>Erwin, thanks for your suggestions! You took your time to write such a lengthy explanation and I really appreciate it!</p>

<p>I actually already have a business license but it's for my web design/developing work and not photography. I wonder if I need another one. But, next summer I'll be living in the UK so I'm sure I'll have to register something somewhere.</p>

<p>My class... I'm just auditing right now. I work for a university and I can take classes for free. I took photography in college 13yrs ago with my little manual Minolta. Not into it though... just didn't have the passion for it. It changed after the first child was born five years ago. I dunno, after being a mom things just started changing. I could see through the lens better, feel emotions, and see the good sides of everybody. There's also more of a reason to carry the camera every where I go and capture not just images but my daughter's personalities and feelings at that time.</p>

<p>This thing next year... it's just a goal. I'm a goal oriented person and when I have something written, esp. in public, I tend to do them. That why I want to start practicing so that by then I can see where I'm at next year. If I'm worthy of capturing others' memories I'd have something to show and also a bit of experience working with others besides my kids. My other goal is to start my Ph.D. program next fall. That's my first goal. The photography is just something extra.</p>