Lens getting slow

jenkins

<p>My Nikon kit lens 18-55mm seems to be getting very slow indeed, i am a little worried i might have some sand around it, as i twist it in and out it sounds a little gritty :(</p>

<p>Is there a way i can dismantle it to clean or could the built in motor be slowing down?</p>

<p>Thanks.</p>

<p>Hi Simon. I remember an article posted on pnet some time ago about someone having a slightly different issue with thier 18-55, apparetnly it had a screw loose inside that didn't allow it to zoom.<br /> <br /> There was a link in that article with instructions on taking the lens apart to fix the screw. This might point you in the right direction if you can find it.<br /> On another note, you can probably pick a used 18-55 VR up pretty inexpensively. So if you aren't able to clean/fix it, it shouldn't be a huge issue replacing it.</p>

<p>We have a good repair person here in the community, but he has vowed to never again to work on any zoom lens.</p>

<p>Look on eBay to see what a used one goes for, then get an estimate on a professional repair. Then choose.</p>

<p>If it's out of warranty it may be cheaper to just replace it especially if it's not the VR version. It could also be an opportunity to upgrade if you want to. If sand or grit got into it Nikon may not service it under the warrantee anyway.</p>

<p>If it's out of warranty and it's still working you could keep using it until you need to replace it.</p>