We may monitor this call to see that you get the same lousy service UPS gives to all its Ground Shipment customers. Thanks for your understanding..

<p>I can't believe this last two days with UPS. Briefly: Ordered a DSLR from B and H and chose <strong>Ground Shipment </strong> to Hawaii. Cost me $27.00 for a 4 pound package insured. Tracking data said it was shipped on 11/20 and was planned for delivery on 11/27. Fine so far. Got a robot call early on 11/27 saying standby from 8AM to 7PM for the signed delivery. When 6 PM rolled around I called local number and was told that unfortunately it didn't make the red eye from CA and would likely be delivered a day late...And that UPS lady said " Because of your inconvenience we are prepare to offer you a refund on your shipment charges. Call me back and we will take care of that after you get the box." Well, tomorrow came, still without any change in tracking online status. I called back several times on 11/28 becauase the so called tracking showed no departure scan from CA.</p>

<p>Fun chitchat talking to other exquisitely contrarian customer service reps. They must have decided I need basic education on the ins and outs UPS Ground Service. To wit" Sir, we only promise up to 7 days from the East Coast."....." Sir, those are not calendar days, but working days."...... " Ah, but we count those days from day after the received for shipment date ( hah, gotcha)".... " Sir, the lady you talked to is on a break. I can't help you.".....<br>

On the 28 th the pestering continues...</p>

<p>" No, it did not get scanned in to Honolulu or out of CA, call tomorrow after 8:45 AM and talk to dispatcher to see if it is on the truck."Finally a breakthrough at 10 AM next day...ta da....Yes, sir I just called to say it is on the truck and will be there today."<br /> Today, -the day after the day after- I called to reach the UPS rep name who made that offer of a refund to say yes I accept if she would indeed honor that courtesy refund via B and H. Especially since I had to juggle a whole day schedule.. Well she was on her break, the lady who answered,when I gave her a message to pass and told her the subject of the call, gave me the <strong>full bore</strong> previous day's spiel on what I should and should not expect. <strong>Boing...</strong> She disputed with me even on the substance of the recorded message. " Those messages only tell you to expect it on the 27th or the next day." Just have her call me I said.... So, I wanted to share with you all what is not normal in a competitive market and may happen no matter what you order from anywhere. Not even sure it is just <strong>Big Brown. The indifference of the call center employee maybe...</strong> <br /> I am tempted to record a message to play back when I get into such squirrely conversations. How about this :</p>

<p>" This is a recorded message from the estate of the late Gerry Siegel who passed away waiting on a customer service call. If you have the authority to make any commitment to this deceased customer, press "1". If you are a machine entity/cyborg, press "2". To repeat this msg, just stay on the line....</p>

<p>BTW the camera was well packed by B and H and I like it so far a lot. Thanks Henry P....They might have taken my feedback advice and used peanuts vs airbags for shipment to our fair state. Good company. B and H. Values old customers and new customers. (Questionable choice of carrier?-who knows.)</p>

<p>Any exciting fun and game adventures with shipments/ customer reps of the big private carriers?</p>

<p>PS. I love my U.S. Postal Service! Government does some thing pretty well at least out here. Knock wood.</p>

<p>I went through something similar years ago. My solution is to avoid it.<br>

Whenever I get a package that requires a signature I NEVER stay home to get it. After the first delivery attempt both Fedex and UPS will leave a tag on the door. I then call the 1-800 number and have them hold the package for pickup at the Fedex/UPS facility. Both of them are open until 8pm so I pick it up after work. </p>

<p>How do they do <strong>GROUND</strong> shipment from NYC to Hawaii?</p>

<p>Have they built an interstate they didn't tell me about...must be one hell of a bridge.</p>

<p>UPS have always been a bit unreliable. They used to hide packages around my house and not leave any notes telling me where they put them. I've have to look behind the house and down by the garage when I was waiting for a package. They'd also just leave stuff that was supposed to be signed for. Once they swore they'd delived a package to me and even claimed to have my signature, when nothing had been delivered. After much complaining, it mysteriously showed up on my doorstep about a week later with no word from UPS.</p>

<p>There's a reason I now use FedEx for shipping. So does photo.net.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Yep, Bob. I wish. 2500 mile journey by Pacific albatross, aka goony bird. 'Ground' as in 'ground hamburger' sometimes when and if packed with those air pillows. No, actually it goes normally from the warehouse in B and H Brooklyn Navy Yard via highway or train to Ontario,CA. Where it gets scanned, containerized, and sent on a UPS aircraft to Honoloulu UPS terminal. Then if one is lucky it is loaded on a brown truck by 8:30 AM for delivery,usually by noon in my neighborhood. Sometimes when a new guy comes by, hears my dog bark it is almost like a drop kick dropoff to my doorway :-). In my recent instance it got to Ontario on 10/25 and left sometime later..missed a scan I guess ...I agree that the waiting is for the birds, but how come Amazon shipments are always so timely. That is why they are making big bucks I think. (Comme si, comme sa.) Ground is much less fee than two day, which is actually 3 day for HI and AK....In short, it came finally. It is the customer service cyborgs that need a little Dale Carnegie.. I appreciate the pleasure of ranting to an understanding bunch. Mahalo.</p>

<p>I have no problems with UPS Ground delivery. From local (Chicago area) companies, my orders arrive the next afternoon. Typically these companies ship the same day if you order by 3:00 pm. The problem (if any) is not with UPS but with the shipper.</p>

<p>B&H has a different business model. If you pay for next day or 2nd day delivery, B&H picks the order the same day and ships it out promptly. If you order with ground delivery, B&H may take two days to pick the order. Part of the premium you pay for expedited delivery is extra service from B&H. I find this policy reasonable, and predictable once you know what's going on.</p>

<p>Mark me down as another highly disatisfied - and refusing to use again - UPS customer. Idiots. Worthless waste of time and space. Has anyone noticed that their website doesn't have a way for you to contact customer service? They know already what a pile of garbage their service is, and they don't care to hear about your experience or to resolve your complaint.<br>

With all of my dealings, whenever possible, I use the US Post Office, and if that isn't going to work, I'm happy to pay much more to ship things FedEx. UPS can go drive off the cliff into the ocean for all I can, and if they need help getting there (also a problem for them it seems), I'll be glad to supply a map.<br>

Morons. Twits. Losers. How many times have I been at home, taking the day off to catch my package, only to discover that the lying dirt-weasel UPS driver has stuck a note on my door "sorry we missed you, we'll try again tomorrow" because the worthless piece of moronic garbage was too lazy to knock or ring the doorbell! If I'd realized I needed to be clairvoyant to receive my package, I'd have just skipped the shipping process entirely and miracled the danged thing to me instead!</p>

<blockquote>

<p>After the first delivery attempt both Fedex and UPS will leave a tag on the door. I then call the 1-800 number and have them hold the package for pickup at the Fedex/UPS facility</p>

</blockquote>

<p>I can't remember which, Fedex or UPS, but they won't let me pick up at their facility after the first failed attempt. They insist that I can only pick up the package at their facility only after the *third* failed delivery attempt.</p>

<p>Yes, Joshua, I can pick up FedEx the same night at an office 1/2 mile from my home. UPS is over 10 miles away. And every place I've lived in the last 10 years has had a FedEx office within walking distance.</p>

<p>A Novisto, you got it right. I probably can't wait for November and the holidays:-) ...Fedex seems to have a better presence in our area or at least a smarter caliber of hires in my limited experience. B and H USPS rates are definitely better for small items. I wanted to be able to track the progress of this last camera sucker. And as I found they can't even get it scanned and into the system...and the customer service can't do anything to "expedite" the delivery. ( Want to laugh? I asked the late watch stander at UPS the night after it didn't show the same question. Namely, "Since there is no tracking info on -line since 10/25 and is now 10/27, is there anything you can do to <strong>expedite </strong> matters?" He replies "What do you <strong>mean</strong> ? He clearly did not know that particular verb! ")<br>

I can't say that I have had all bad UPS service but lately it seems to be on a slide....too bad.<br>

As I look at this experience, and I ponder this business I note a little something else. My oversized old shepherd growls at the big brown truck, smells something fishy. And he has definite 'special senses' as all domestic animals do,right? Whereas the <strong>FEDEX trucks and FEDEX delivery folk</strong> know Morgan and he knows them. Barks once and goes into a big tail wag. <br /></p>

<p>Gerry. Not usual for you to be stressed but I can see why.<br>

Still better than having to deal with the dreaded Indian call centers. Now that is stress ++<br>

I 'lost' a parcel. Depot is five miles down the road. Called in to see what the problem was. For security we do not allow callers.<br>

So there I am outside the depot making a call to India - some 6000 miles away - to a person who whilst probably very nice could hardly speak English.They are calling the depot on another line. Don't get me started. What a World.</p>

<p>One more horror story about UPS - ordered a camera, UPS ground delivery. It was "delivered" by being left outside of a fence on a public road, and of course was snatched up by someone. After about two weeks of arguing with the merchant and UPS, my account was credited for the cost of the camera. The kicker of this story is that UPS claims it was delived to the mailing address at 5:20, but the gate to the fence IS LOCKED AT 5PM every day. UPS could produce no verification of delivery signature but claimed from day one that the camera was delivered to the proper address. I don't consider leaving a package outside a fence on a public roadside to be "delivered". So no more UPS for me.</p>

<p>But... Consider the advantages: When tracking a UPS package, which was quite valuable, the computer report said it had been delivered. No package here. Called the office, who contacted the driver at his home, who said he remembered putting it "inside the gate." Since we have no gate, I guessed it was at a home on a different street two blocks away, having the same house number - (but different street name). I called the resident there, and found my expensive package. This has happened several times. Sometimes I receive that neighbor's UPS shipment or even USPS Mail - and sometimes that neighbor may receive my merchandise. We have learned to inspect the labels on our mail before opening. Oh, I wish the delivery people would learn how to read street names! However, it is a good way to develop a friendly acquaintance with another neighbor! ;-)</p>

<blockquote>

<p>BTW the camera was well packed by B and H and I like it so far a lot. Thanks Henry P....They might have taken my feedback advice and used peanuts vs airbags for shipment to our fair state. Good company. B and H. Values old customers and new customers. (Questionable choice of carrier?-who knows.)</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Thank you. I am sorry for your frustrating experience and I'm glad the camera has arrived. FWIW, had you selected UPS 2-day rush shipping the total w&h fee would only have been $5.00 more than you paid.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>@<a href="../photodb/user?user_id=1495971">Greg Thomas</a> <br /> I refuse to buy from retailers who don't provide an alternative to UPS.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>B&H offers UPS, FedEx, USPS shipping options.</p>

<blockquote>

<p><a href="../photodb/user?user_id=4199263">@Jim McKinnon</a> <br /> I've seriously considered renting a box at my local "Mail Boxes, Etc." store (or whatever the equivalent), so that I can use them for accepting deliveries. Has any one used this type of service?</p>

</blockquote>

<p>B&H is not the only retailer who won't ship to a UPS Store or MBE address. They're prone to two types of fraud. The first is the pirate who rents a box, gets loads of boodle and vanishes before credit card bills start ringing bells. The second is the legit customer whose package never shows even though it was delivered because the sig is illegible and everyone in the store is an innocent as a newborn babe. Either way the retailer is left holding the proverbial bag too often.</p>

<p>I'll say this in favor of UPS. Their online package tracking is as good as anyone else's and miles ahead of what USPS offers. They're better than USPS about dealing with lost parcel claims and don't actually lose that many, per our experience. They're not perfect, but who is?</p>

<p>Henry Posner<br /> <strong>B&H Photo-Video</strong></p>

<p> </p>

Henry Posner

B&H Photo-Video

<p>I don't think anyone is perfect, and I have had trouble with every carrier - even DHL and other larger freights. Again - no one is perfect. It is frustrating and the person on the CS end can only know what she/he sees on the screen - they are only doing their job.</p>

<p>I know that doesn't help US the customer, but normally everything works out, and life goes back to normal, almost. lol<br>

Its a good things we have choices. But we all make mistakes. Even if they are many.</p>

<p>I am a bit biased. My dad worked for UPS as a feeder driver for 32 years, and started as a delivery driver. UPS fed my family, paid for my moms hospital bills, and still takes care of my dad (his pension is more than my salary!) PLUS, my Great-Aunt was the founders secretary and sister-in-law....so I am biased - BUT I do also prefer the USPS due to price and convenience. I can send things from work, receive at work, and the PRICE!<br>

This week I have been getting allot of packages, and they nice mail person has been putting them in my foyer - out of the rain. I don't think UPS or anyone else would have done that....<br>

I recently sent a few packages and FEDEX cost 61, UPS cost 46 and USPS cost me $8.50 - guess who i went with! lol</p>

<blockquote>

<p>I don't think anyone is perfect,....</p>

</blockquote>

<p>I agree of course, Gia- what a charming name <strong>Gia</strong> .So Mediterranean..( I have an occasional day when my own personal standard of performance drops from a high level too :-).) It is not the event of course. It was some of the know-nothing answers. And the kind of grating implication that I was misinformed or even deaf to the content of that recorded UPS notification phone call that one spokesperson enlightened me on... Even my wife who overheard the call on speakerphone remarked that the last rep I talked to- after the delivery- should have stopped when I asked to be called by Ms X on the refund of charges offer. No, she had to dig in and lecture me. Phooey. It is not the money,honest, but the time and what Steve Allen called a growing sense of "Dumpth" in his book of that name.<br /> I now appreciate that I hastily ordered Ground vs Blue Label or 2/3 day to HI,not noticing on the web the miniscule $ difference for this weight. And presumably more definitive tracking. I think I now have learned that much. I also did not notice the choice of carrier offered and stand better informed.So,... I guess I am glad I posted this . (Cost of shipping and insurance is a sensitive part of my online evaluation of vendors. Free shipping offers rarely apply to outside the 48. And shipping can exceeed the cost of an item).</p>

<p>Customer service availability and responsiveness is, ultimately, even more important in mail order. In that regard I have to say that UPS has not met my benchmark. Which is kind of high. B and H and J and R have very fine customer service people to represent their outfits as I have remarked before. Aloha. Be well, gs</p>

<p>Overall I am very happy with UPS so far. But it is true that their robot calls may be wrong - I experienced one too - I think they should be ignored in favor of the information shown on the ups site. In my case, I was expecting a package on, let's say 11/26 - on 11/24 a robot left the message that next day 11/25 I should be at home - I was excited - wow, it will be delivered earlier, but the ups site still showed 11/26 as the expected delivery date. Of course it came on 11/26.</p>

<p>Henry P said:</p>

<blockquote>

<p>B&H is not the only retailer who won't ship to a UPS Store or MBE address. They're prone to two types of fraud...</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Thanks for the information, Henry! I wasn't aware of this, and now I won't waste my money renting one of these boxes.</p>

<p>Don't ever use UPS to ship from the US to Canada or vice-versa. Not only does every package they ship get stopped by customs, UPS charges a brokerage fee on top of the customs charges. The last time I received a shipment from them, I was away for the first attempt at delivery; no one from UPS showed up at their specified time for the second attempt, and I finally had to call the local UPS supervisor to insist that they deliver the package to the nearest UPS office so I could pick it up. Friends have had similar experiences and missed deadlines even on shipments within Canada!<br>

I've learned my lesson and never buy anything if the sellers specify they will only ship by UPS.</p>