Economical temperature control system

<p>In order to control the temperature of the water and chemicals, i think to use a summersible temperature controller for the aquariums (16 euros against the comparable summersible Nova Protronic temperature controller, that cost 70 euros). I think to fill a large bucket (12 litres of capacity) and fit, in the bucket, the aquarium temperature controller, by the suckers provided with the same temperature controller tool.<br>

What do you think about this solution? Believe you that will work? Thanks in advance.<br>

Ciao.</p>

<p>You will need to find a aquarium heater that wiil go up to 38-40C if you are doing color work.<br>

Most dont but you may be able to rig the thermostat to go high enoungh and then it should work.</p>

<p>I've read that some have done this successfully. </p>

<p>Dear Bob, the indicated range, from 68°F/20°C to 89°F/32°C, is the total range allowed by the tool, for employing in the aquarium. I need to use a range of temperature lies between 68°F/20°C for Ilford FP4 Plus and HP5 Plus developed in Agfa Rodinal or Ornano Gradual ST-20 (a very excellent italian developer) and 75°F/24°C for Kodak T-Max 100 and 400 developed in Kodak T-Max, Kodak X-Tol or Ornano MX. <br>

Ciao.</p>

<p>Vincenzo,</p>

<p>I am developing C-41 at 38 deg. C in a home made water bath made from a plastic dishpan and it works very well. I tried using a 150 watt fish heater but it wasn't enough heat. I am using a 1500 watt 240 volt water heater element and running it on 120 volts, which gives me a 375 watt heater which works perfectly. I am using an old waterbed thermostat to control temperature, and it holds the temp to less than 1/2 deg. C. I am using an evaporative cooler pump to circulate the water around the bottles and tank. Total cash expenditure was $30. Good luck.</p>

<p>Vicenzo,<br /> <br /> Sorry, I didn't make myself clear. I'm just curious why you need to use a temperature-controlled water bath at all for black and white developing.<br /> <br /> I'm sure other photographers have different opinions, but I've managed to go my whole life without using one and still can produce well exposed and developed black-and-white negatives with no trouble, even with slightly fussier films like TMX.<br /> <br /> Bob</p>

<p>Vincenzo, if you're developing B&W, Bob is correct -- you don't need temperature control. Both Kodak and Ilford provide charts showing developing temperatures from about 65 degrees F to 75 degrees. Unless you're living somewhere without heat or air conditioning, your room temperature developer should be somewhere in that range already. Just check the developer temperature and develop for the time indicated on the charts. Even if you're off a little, most B&W film and developer combinations -- at least the Tri-X and D-76 that I usually use -- are very forgiving of minor errors in time or temperature.</p>

<p>Bob and Craig, excuse me, you are right, indeed: now I finally understood your words. I too have been developing all my BW films without any system to control the temperature, in the last 30 years, always without encountering any problems. Now, however, since there is a cheap way to control the temperature more precisely, i want to use this system, just to try something new.<br>

Ciao.</p>

<p>Remember that the aquarium heater will only be useful when the ambient air temperature is under 68F/20C. Usually, just getting a large amount of water at the desired temperature, and putting the chemistry containers in it, will be fully sufficient control for B&W. Certainly for a film like TMAX, you do want to be on temperature and on time to get consistent results.</p>

• 3 weeks later...