scratches on dual summicron

nick_baker

<p>Hello<br>

I am looking at a 50mm Dual Range Summicron. It is marked down to a quite reasonable price because of some scratches. I am wonderin how much effect on images this is likely to have? I would guess that a few scratches on the front element would make little difference, but there are also a cuple of scratches on the rear.<br>

The lens is very clean inside and seems to lack the fogging that these older summicrons often have.<br>

Thanks for any advice.</p>

<p>Ask the owner if you can take a couple of test pics to determine if the scratches (from your point of view) are material. If you're satisfied with the results, you may have a good deal on your hand. If the owner refuses to allow a test of the lens, walk away.</p>

<p>While I don't disagree with Stephen (and certainly agree with Richard), I would advise considerable caution. I think flare may well be the main problem. After all, one of the main reasons for shooting with Leicas is the great glass. In the past I've bought a few lenses like the one described and always regretted it. Cosmetics are secondary but making compromises with optics doesn't make sense.</p>

<p>Thanks for all the advice.</p>

<p>Alaistair, I agree about not compromising optics. I've looked at five other Dual summicrons and used one of them; all had internal fogging visible with a flashlight, and the one I used had unaccaeptable flare. This one I've seen with the scratches is the only one I've seen that's clear as a bell internally, hence the quandary.</p>

<p>I've used some really beat up lenses before and never noticed a lack of sharpness. If it isn't major scratches on the front I wouldn't expect flare. The scratches on the rear element are potentially more troubling. They may or may not impact the photos. Like others have said, see if you can shoot some test pics w/ it before buying it.</p>

<p>If what you mean by "scratches" is just a few cleaning marks on the lens coating, then I don't think you have much to worry about. It would be nice if the seller would let you test the lens before buying it, though. </p>

<p>I used to work for a "catalogue house" where I was one of five studio photographers who photographed products all day long for brochures, flyers, ads, catalogues, etc. We used Hasselblad equipment that was really old and took a beating day in and day out. The front elements and to a lesser degree the rear elements of the lenses we shot with were absolutely scary to look at, but the images produced were beautiful. At least in the case of Hasselblad, scratches on the these lenses didn't prevent us from making saleable images. Of course we had complete control of the lighting and used adjustable lens hoods. I'm sure that made a difference. You might think about using a lens hood.</p>

<p>If you do decide to go through with this deal, keep in mind you may have some difficulty selling this lens if and when the time comes. Don't pay much more for it than you think you could sell it for, yourself.</p>

<blockquote>

<blockquote>

<p>"How useful would sending a lens out for repolishing/ recoating be in this situation?"</p>

</blockquote>

</blockquote>

<p>It's expensive to have <a href="http://www.focalpointlens.com/fp_intro.html">this service performed</a> and most people reserve the procedure for irreplaceable or rare optics. It would be more practical to purchase a mint 50mm Summicron DR.</p>

<blockquote>

</blockquote>

<p>I had my DR Summicron cleaned and the front element recoated by John Van Stelton of Focal Point in December of 2000. It cost $235.00 at that time. I felt it was worth it as I purchased the lens in 1974 for next to nothing. Good luck.</p>

<p>Mark J.</p>