The most inspiring of the 'great' photographers..

robwilson

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<p>For me (apart from others like HCB) a real favourite is Ralph Gibson (there was a good collection of his photographs by Taschen `Deus Ex Machina' - out of print now I guess..). He seems to be mostly absent from such polls - I admire his style of photography very much..<br>

Another one (who has absolutely nothing in common photgraphically) is Martin Parr.</p>

<p>Martin Parr's stuff makes me laugh. He is extremely witty.<br>

I think I should have put Robert Capa on my list as well. The photo of the dying man in the Spanish civil war still blows me away. <br>

He doesn't really inspire me as such (because I have no desire to emulate him), but Rankin's work blows me away as well.</p>

<p>Eugene Atget, Irving Penn, , Weegee, Alvin Langdon Coburn, Frederick Evans and all the other Pictorialists, the FSA photographers, especially Walker Evans. Masters of their craft along with thousands of others, but not, I have to say, Robert Capa.<br>

This could easily become an endless journey<br>

Andy</p>

<p>Ah, where to begin... or where to stop.<br /> As a long-time Kodachrome user, I'll have to add Alex Webb. David Cavagnaro's beautiful book <em>This Living Earth</em> inspired many including me to explore macro at a time when it was uncommon. It also opened my eyes to color photography (and Kodachrome).<br /> Josef Meunch; Alfred Eisenstadt.</p>

<p>W. Eugene Smith for his documentary work. He knew how to tell a story with pictures.</p>

<p>Bresson for his simplicity (right word?) of composition, his capture of slices of life that others would never notice, and his idea of decisive moment.</p>

<p>Alice Austen (who?). Alice Austen was a turn of the century (last one) amateur photographer who photographed her community (Staten Island). She documented its everyday life, it's upper middle class society which she belonged to, and just about everything else. Even though she was a ferry ride from Manhattan, she found the richness of her own community. She inspired me to do the same.</p>

<p>I prefer color.</p>

<p>Galen Rowell</p>

<p>David Muench (every Muench image is a master class)</p>

<p>Art Wolfe</p>

<p>Dave Black (sports photography)</p>

<p>Lots of folks whose images I appreciate but whose names I don't know.</p>

<p>P.S. And Ernst Haas. He's in a class by himself.</p>