Fall colors at Yosemite and eastern Sierra

tbelleza

<p>Driving north on US41 from Fresno to Yosemite next week and planning to cross Tioga pass and take 395 north and turn west on US 89 and then US 4 to return home to the Calif Central Coast. I haven't been to Yosemite in almost 2 decades. I would appreciate tips on locations to photograph fall colors. Thanks</p>

<p>You can check the road status <a href="http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/conditions.htm">here</a>. 120 is currently open as well as 108. However on 120 might be closed before you get there. Another storm is in the forcast. So check before you leave. You can get more current information on fall colors in the eastern Sierra from this <a href="http://www.onehorsestudio.com/weblog/">Blog</a>. I don't have any information on the colors in Yosemite. </p>

<p>Tioga was open as of yesterday. I was just in the valley (Yosemite) photographing. The colors in the valley haven't reached their peak yet. Some trees are still just starting to turn. I would imagine they would be really good in about a week. The colors around the June Lake area in the Eastern Sierra however are in full swing right now. Good luck!</p>

<p>This has been a strange fall. Normally next weekend would be too late for much in the way of eastern Sierra color but the trees changed quite late and you <em>might</em> still get a bit.</p>

<p>On the other hand, I'm hearing from several sources that colors are already changing in the Valley, so next weekend there could be good. I usually shoot for the very end of October or the very beginning of October in the Valley, but I may just try next weekend.</p>

<p>Tioga Pass will very likely be open still. There is some chance of a small front coming through on Monday, but it doesn't look like anything that would shut down the pass more than very briefly.</p>

<p>Dan</p>