Guests asking about equipment costs - what's a good response?

katrin_d.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<p>I don't see the big deal either. Most likely they just really want to know how much a decent dSLR costs.</p>

<p>I say "Nowadays you can get a decent camera, lens and flash for only $1500. But for professional work you need multiple systems and a bunch of other stuff and there are no upper limit to how much you can spend. For instance a camera used by those shooting advertising work can easily cost $40K to $50K and that is just for the camera. Then you need lights and lots of other stuff too, you know."</p>

<p>And then I follow up with "Are you interested in photography? Or maybe looking to get into it?".</p>

<p> </p>

<p>I usually deflect the the question by asking if they are thinking of purchasing a camera.Most people are just looking for information from a professional about which camera to buy.Of course this can lead to the dreaded"Canon vs Nikon vs Pentax etc." debate.I am never rude or curt with guests.Insure your kit,if its a DSLR a couple of years old it,s probebly worth more stolen.{:~).</p>

<p>Thanks, Nadine. I was glad to read that at least he didn't lose his camera stuff, which is what Katrin was worried about. They were after the standard wallet, and didn't realize what the cameras were worth. I think it's a rude question, but you can just say it's worth far less than I paid for it new! They don't need to ask us, really, they can look it up online. Just make small talk like they said, by asking <strong>them</strong> questions, and move on.</p>

<p>Hi Katrin,<br>

I sometimes feel uneasy when being asked this question too! As a young female, it can be quite threatening when 2 -3 larger men crowd around to see about your equipment! I never assume that they have bad intentions - but just incase.. I usually answer with a generalised comment about its not the equipment you use, it is how you use it! This tends to then lead them onto asking how I operate 'all them buttons'!! :) This seems to work for me !</p>

<p>I get this from time to time. I haven't been worried about being mugged. Maybe I should?</p>

<p>Past examples:<br>

If we can see the parking lot, I point to my 1990 Oldsmobile Cutlass and say "more than my car!".</p>

<p>If the person is holding a camera that is worth more than mine, especially if they haven't used it all day, I say "it's pretty old. How's that VR working out for you?" (A D90 with an SB400 and a 18-200VR is definitely worth more $$ than my well-used D200, with a well used SB800 and a so-used-you-can-see metal f/2.8 24-70...)</p>

<p>If it's a kid "a lot" and I take their picture.</p>

<p>If it's someone who is into photography, I think they're trying to ask something else, like how much does it cost or pay to be a wedding photographer. I have to feel those out. Especially since I'm just a photographer by avocation.</p>

<p>I'd say find a clever and ackward joke if it makes you uncomfortable, or if the person is getting in the way of your work. This might also be your response if you're not comfortable dealing with people who are interested in the field (e.g. you see them as potential competitors).</p>

<p>Clever jokes:<br>

"Cheaper and more fun than my own wedding."<br>

"Daddy bought it for me."<br>

"I don't handle the business side of things."<br>

"It was either this or more therapy."<br>

"Do you drive a BMW? I'll trade."<br>

"The strap was a good deal!"<br>

"I don't know. I'm sure it looses value each time I drop it."<br>

"A lot. I keep thinking a Brownie would have been a better investment."<br>

"A lot. The medical and legal bills associated with photography are huge. Soon after I got my camera, my kids put paper bags on their heads because they didn't want their pictures taken. One got scruvy from vitamin-d deficiency caused by lack of sunlight. The other got hit by a car he didn't see coming, and then the driver sued me for his own psychological trauma. At least I am living out my dream of being a photographer!" (Happily click off a photo of the inquisitor)</p>

<p>I typically say: "I bought this so long ago, I don't remember, but newer models are going for $XYZ though if you're interested in getting into photography." I find this simultaneously lets any would-be muggers know that my equipment is not the latest and greatest (and hence not as valuable), and also steers the direction towards a more productive conversation.</p>

<p>I've never been paranoid about this, even when shooting my Hassy system in a crowded, urban park setting, but I find that most enquiries are innoncent and harmless. They're either clueless about equipment and since I'm pretty approachable, just want to chat, or they're knowledgeable enough to ask relatively intelligent questions. A sampling from the last few weddings: why are you using THAT lens (80-200VR at the reception)...what kind of batteries do you use...how do you like that diffuser...is that all you need...</p>

<p>Stuff like that opens doors and I like to teach, so I'm pretty open with information. Frankly, I've never been asked about cost of equipment.</p>

<p>--Rich</p>

<p>Tell them something close to the truth and encourage them to buy one immediately from B&H! It helps B&H, Nikon, Canon etc. etc. sell equipment and keeps the costs down for the rest of us... there can only be so many freezing days in July when one of these guys will be competition..... just a late Friday thought :-}...</p>

<p>I think people tend to ask those questions, not to be rude, but because they are trying to make random conversation and that's the only way they know how to approach you. I just always tell them more than they really want to know and laugh it off, but ususally it leads into a much deeper conversation form there. :)</p>

<p>I've never been asked, but I would probably suggest that you give a range for a camera system more generally: eg, "Well, a camera body costs anywhere from $50 (film/used) to $5000 (professional/new), and the lenses can be in the same range, from $5 on eBay all the way up to more than a car for a single lens."</p>

<p>If you want, you can add that this doesn't include all the other associated costs that can accumulate, like a tripod and filters and batteries. If they can't tell by looking, then they won't know--and might not even care--whether you're talking about something that might cost $50 at a pawn shop or a $10,000 brand new set-up.</p>

<p>Since I imagine you shoot with more than one lens/more than one body, you don't have to discuss the exact setup you're holding at the moment, but you can answer honestly and genuinely about what a camera system as a whole might cost if they're interested. And then you say, "Excuse me, I need to get back to work."</p>

<p>The limo driver? HA!<br>

<br /> Let me put this way; anyone who is seriously thinking about going into wedding photography should know enough about equipment that they should know what it costs.<br>

Those asking see that we make it look easy, and they think they can do it and make big bucks off it.</p>

<p>Seems to me that it <em>might</em> be an honest question.<br>

I know I was just at a wedding with two paid quite busy and yet friendly photographers. They were sharing two or three cameras one of which I would have loved to ask just what it was, not to mention cost. But they were busy and I thought it not the place to spend their time. But considering the kindness she showed my wife, not knowing her to be a family member, I am sure they would have been polite.<br>

And that is how you answer, politely. Not what you say, how you say.<br>

wlt</p>