Guests asking about equipment costs - what's a good response?

katrin_d.

<p>I'm running into this more and more lately. Guests asking me what my camera equipment costs. And ever since Bob posted the warning to all of us after he got mugged, I'm a bit suspicious of this question and was wondering how to answer it.<br>

A couple of weeks ago, a limo driver asked me the same question as he was looking to get into photography. Since he struck me as sincere, I saw no harm in answering. However, I don't quite understand why a random guest would ask the same thing and was hoping that fellow wedding photographers would have some ideas on how to respond in case it comes up again.<br>

Thanks!</p>

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<p>Funny how things change. When I was growing up (decades ago) this was considered a rude question. I was taught never to ask how much someone made, what their possessions cost, etc.</p>

<p>I've been asked this question myself. I say, "A lot." Or, "I can't remember" (which is also probably true). Or, "Somewhat less on my Pentax equipment than on comparable Canon equipment, partly because I have image stablization built into the body. Would not want to live without that." I've used this last response and it works pretty well, because it basically changes the subject, from price, to the pros and cons of in-body image stabilization, or brand differences. And then I try to excuse myself to go off and take a photo.</p>

<p>It's true that ordinary people have no idea. I spent more on my primary tripod, and certainly on one of my lenses, than many of the guests spent on their cameras and I bet that's true of most of us. </p>

<p>Given the traditional confusion among non-photographers and newbies about the role of equipment as the primary driver of an image's final quality and impact, it's not really that strange for such folks to wonder what it all costs.<br /><br />I get asked that all the time, while out shooting action stuff. It's usually part of the same conversation about how "I'll bet that camera takes great pictures!" etc. I usually deflect, and say something about how I've always found my time to be the single most expensive thing that goes into the images I make, and that tools are tools. Most people who are not completely tone deaf will take that as a cue that you don't want to talk about Nikon retail prices... <em>and</em> that you're there working, and you're being paid to concentrate on what you're shooting.<br /><br />But the people who really persist? I've found that I can usually say something like, "After years of dragging equipment out into the field, I've found that the consumer-grade stuff, which is such a great deal for most people these days, just can't keep up with my abuse. So I buy more industrial-grade stuff, and find a way to make the work pay for it."<br /><br />The people who still keep on insisting on an actual price tag? I tell 'em, "Well, this camera, the D300, is obsolete now. They don't even make it any more. Pretty hard to even put a useful price tag on it at this point, I guess."</p>

<p>People ask a question like that because they are thinking of getting into the biz or want to find out how much a good DSLR costs. For the first, say it costs x dollars (very round, high figure) to get into the biz with a camera system. If the latter, say a Rebel or D40 costs about x. Or if the question is about my specific camera, I just say it costs x just for the body. In any case, answer quickly and walk away.</p>

<p>I have no problem answering this question. "ask the expert." I am more than willing to discuss costs or any other question guests may have as long as they are not asking while I am to be shooting. Why do people only look for evil intentions? That is rude.</p>

<p>There is also an assumption of a random guest. How do you know what that guest does for a living or their personal hobbies. I get the question often and is then followed up by, I like to take pictures of wildlife or my kids sports or "insert hobby here." Show that you have an open and friendly personality because it will help you tomorrow if it doesn't help you today.</p>

<p>Love Luis's responce</p>

<blockquote>

<p>"I don't know, the bank owns it"<br>

"It's borrowed"</p>

<p> </p>

</blockquote>

<p>But to guests: big camera = expensive = must be a professional and the MORE expensive, the more professional you are :)</p>

<p>Adam</p>

<p>Most of the time I answer that "not all that much, you can get a good camera and lens for a few hundred bucks these days". I say this whether I am carrying a 4x5, medium format or a 35 DSLR. The reality is that you can do it in all of these formats and most people are happy with that answer and walk away--or I do.</p>

<p>Maybe it's the mystery associated with taking good pictures. Some people think that if you are good enough to be a professional, part of the secret was spending a lot on a great camera. There's this idea that to be a great photographer you have to spend a lot of money. I suspect camera manufacturers are not discouraging this line of thought. </p>

<p>I sometimes wonder if they ask because they are thinking "I could be that good if I spent X dollars". But sometimes I think the camera just looks impressive and they wonder then, too. People ask me how much were my old cameras (my TLR & my 4x5) because they are unusual. My day-job boss saw me loading film into my old TLR before lunch one day and he said "that's either very old or very expensive". </p>

<p>When I was first getting interested in photography, I remember seeing the work of a great photographer. The guy at my camera repair shop showed it to me, and I wish I could remember the artist's name. I thought the images were beautiful. Then I learned that the images I saw were mostly hand-held polaroids, and I was shocked by it. Polaroids are cheap and instant, how could anyone do that with them, I thought. It was then that I realized equipment had nothing to do with art, really. I don't think the average person knows it.</p>

<p>I usually answer that I have a variety of cameras that range in cost from "very little" to "a lot", and I buy most of my equipment used. I like to change the subject then by saying that a good photograph can be made at any price point. If someone persists, I'll ask why and then probably tell them what they want to know. It doesn't hurt anything to answer, even if it is presumptuous to ask.</p>

<p>Steve, I'm a single female photographer (no 2nd shooter, no assistant) and I simply don't feel comfortable telling perfect strangers that I'm carrying equipment that costs more than my car. ;-) I don't like to assume bad intentions but I'm absolutely unwilling to make myself a target when walking to my car after a wedding.<br>

Thanks Nadine & Jennifer, I've always seen my stuff as tools - never thought that a better camera would make me a better photographer but I see how one could assume it. I could have all the tools Tom Silva has and would still suck at home renovation. Pretty much the same thing.<br>

William, Matt, Luis and everybody else ... thanks a bunch, will follow your advice from now on.</p>

<p>Its weird,<br>

In 20 years I was never asked that question. But I also made a point of being aloof when I was working, so I didn't encourage conversation or fraternising with the wedding party or guests. I was there to work and leave. That way I could be bossy and get people to move etc for framing shots.<br>

The other thing that's different here is much more emphasis on getting art quality from the formals, and much less emphasis on candids during the reception. Here people want to let go a bit, relax and have fun, and not be worried that their indiscretions may be photographed. You'd be told to get lost here (or worse) if you ran around snapping everything that moved at the party.<br>

I never shot friends weddings etc. I didn't want to be put in a difficult position (like many are here!). I was asked out in the bush once where I was having a go at landscapes....I said "oh its second hand...can't remember". I was with a group with one of our most well know 617 landscape photographers. He got asked and he looked at his treasured Linhof and he said...oh these things are Chinese and don't cost much. The Schneider Super Symmar was only $2500. Its only the second lens he ever bought for the Linhof which is 30 years old and good as new.<br>

That's what you have to pay for a new 24-70 2.8.</p>