Any compact rangefindedrs meter to 1600?

<p>The Rollei 35 is zone focus, not a rangefinder, unfortunately. </p>

<p>I have an Olympus XA with a rangefinder, but it is autoexposure only and only goes up to 800. I love it, but it is not very useful in low light. A lot of those old rangefinders have sharp and fast lenses but are autoexposure only (some with unmetered manual), and tend to max out at 500-800.</p>

<p>I'm pretty sure the Leica CL meters to 1600 - just checked camerapedia and they say it does. It's a cute compact 70's rangefinder.</p>

<p>I was watching one on the big auction site (id 230387569622) but I've already spent my hobby budget for the next month or two.</p>

<p>First, any camera of this type that has manual overide can be used at any ISO setting you desire. I once ran 1600 film through my Canonet. I set the camera on 800, metered and then compensated for the faster film in manual. My late '50s Konica II rangefinder has no meter so film speed is all in my head.<br>

Secondly, I had good results doubling the voltage with my Minolta AL-F which is rated only up to ISO 400. Doubling the voltage by placing two thinner silver-oxide batteries in the battery compartment boosted the top end to ISO 1600, as checked against my other cameras. I started to try this with a junked Olympus XA I used for parts. I seem to remember only having the battery combination on hand to raise the voltage 1.5 times, made the meter read for 1600 on its highest setting, however I never got around to running film through it to check the results.<br>

Neither camera seemed worse for the voltage bump, but they weren't designed for the increase...or were they?<br>

-Bob</p><div>00Uk7d-180301684.jpg.00241c53fc02182b5cd190fd44557236.jpg</div>

<p>When I use a Minolta X-700 with TMZ and I want to rate the film at 3200 I just set the ASA dial to 1600 and the exposure compensation dial to -1. If your compact rf camera has a meter cell near the lens you could cut a wratten type ND filter to the size you need and tape it over the cell. This is an old trick. If your rf camera allows manual setting of shuter speeds and f/stops then manually adjusting is fine.</p>

<p>When I use a Minolta X-700 with TMZ and I want to rate the film at 3200 I just set the ASA dial to 1600 and the exposure compensation dial to -1. If your compact rf camera has a meter cell near the lens you could cut a wratten type ND filter to the size you need and tape it over the cell. This is an old trick. If your rf camera allows manual setting of shuter speeds and f/stops then manually adjusting is fine.</p>

<p>leave the guy and his humour alone, please</p>

<p>I dont know how compact you want, but a Konica Auto S2 can run manual and you can use a separate meter to shoot at 1600 - it has a decent viewfinder and a fine lens</p>

<p>Just to be a little picky; Robert G., the Minolta AL-F tops out at <strong>500</strong> ASA. (DIN 28) And no, a little extra voltage won't harm the galvanometer. (Meter coil)</p>

<p>Jeff A., if you apply some filtering to the photocell you'll get the opposite effect. It will open up the aperture more which means "pulling" away from, not 'in effect' pushing <strong>to</strong> 1,600 ASA</p>

<p>As others have said, any RF with built in meter just set meter at maximum ISO and manually stop down lens or increase shutter speed to compensate. If keeping cost down then you can pick up Konica Auto S2, Olympus 35 RC, or Canonet for very little. If price is not important and you want an ISO 1600 setting, then the CL/CLE is the way to go. If willing to sacrifice RF to get ISO 1600 there is the Rollei 35, and outside the classic zone is the Olympus XA-3 which has a zone focus 35 mm f3.5 lens and programmed autoexposure. DX setting to ISO 1600 or cover the DX strips on cassette with tape and manually set ISO 1600.<br>

My pick: I do this with my Konica Auto S2 all the time. Works great.</p>

<p>It' s not really compact, but the Yashica Electro GL meter can be set to 1600ASA.<br>

The Electro GL is a not very well known successor of the original Electro G/GS/GSN models, it has almost the same body size but the meter system and the cosmetic design were updated. It has the meter eye inside the filter thread and a bit of space-age design of the top plate.<br>

There is a pic of the GL on<br>

<a href="http://www.focalplane.net/electro35gl/">http://www.focalplane.net/electro35gl/</a><br>

The round button in the middle of the top plate is NOT the ASA dial, the ASA setting is done via a dial on the lens barrel. There is a round bezel with the overexposure/slow speed indicator in the place where you would expect the ASA dial. The AE/AF inscription on the front plate does NOT refer to autofocus but rather to an "auto-flash" feature which works with a dedicated flash only (there is an extra contact in the hot shoe, probably it works similar to the auto-flash feature of the Canonet QL17-GIII).</p>

<p> </p>