shiny & bright iMac or perhaps the previous model?

nico_lilien

<p>A new 24" iMac? There are lots of decent and probably cheaper and perhaps even better 24" display alternatives, but I've decided I want one...</p>

<p>Reading through various threads I've concluded that a 24" iMac display is considered a good photo editing tool.</p>

<p>What puzzles me is the fact that I've read about new shiny screens and display brightness, but also learned that the 24" display quality has been praised for years.</p>

<p>Perhaps you're able to help me: should I get one with the new LED lighting or try and find one with the previous lighting technique? Perhaps there is a difference when calibrating?<br>

Thanks !</p>

<p> </p>

<p>The 24" iMac display is a really good screen. I know designers and picture editors happily using them. I wasn't aware that the iMacs used LED technology in the screens, though. I thought that LED was only being used by the 24" Apple Cinema Display, but I may be wrong.<br>

Anyway, if it is LED technology that means that the colours will be stable from the moment you start using the computer, rather than after a lengthy warming up process.<br>

While there will be plenty of people who say that you ought to go for a very expensive colour-balanced monitor designed specifically for the highest-end graphics users, personally I think the Apple screens provide a good balance between quality and cost. Using a hardware calibration device would be worth the effort to secure accurate prints.</p>

<p>Glossy versus matte is a very personal judgment. I have matte screens, but my daughter's glossy screen really looked super. No "diffusion" of the colors, sharp, crisp blacks.....</p>

<p>You do have to watch out for reflections, of course, but I didn't see it as a problem on her monitor.</p>

<p>Go look at both before you buy and see which you like better.</p>

<p>Thanks for your quick&helpful replies.</p>

<p>I think I am wrong stating Apple uses LED lighting in iMac's. Perhaps I misunderstood the Apple store employee (as I can't find any supporting evidence for this on the net). Here's something for me to clarify.</p>

<p>Now the task remains to check on lighting, compare versions and select a calibration tool.<br /> Thanks again, will post the result.</p>

<p><a href="../photodb/user?user_id=4527386">Nico</a> I was very concerned about reflection (after reading all the complaints) on the 24" iMac when I started looking for a replacement for my old DEll. I went to Best Buy a few times asking many questions, looking at the reflections and playing with the 24" iMac. Reflection was awful at Best Buy but B.B. is a bad place to check out reflections with all the store lights. At home I never even think about the reflection or lack of. I'm set up in my living room (between fridge and tv...haaaa) I have a ceiling fan with 4 lights above me and a window to my side and no reflection issues for me. It would of been nice to have option of matte or glossy monitor. If you like to hear music a little louder then just your normal ''sitting at your computer listening to music'' then your going to need some speakers. I wish Apple would of thrown in set of speakers with the iMac. If I could only figure out how to hook up my old Dell speakers to the iMac. They are inexpensive harmon/kardons but sound great. Still learning the iMac. Some things I miss about the Dell. I will not miss the viruses:)<br>

Sidenote: Last night the iMac froze up. I turned it off/on and tried some other things but no matter what I did I kept getting a message that Firefox was having a temporary problem. My mouse pointer was the only thing that was working. I could not open Safari, photos, music or anything. I finally called Apple today. They told me my wireless mouse batteries were dead. Usually I get warnings when the batteries are getting weak. I changed he batteries and the computer started working again. Doing a google search I found that there are quite a few incidents of iMacs freezing up, so I put the old batteries in again and they were still 3/4 power. I need to call Apple again now and find out what is really going on.<br>

Apple Support is well ahead of its competitors but I wish they were 24/7 since I do a lot of work late at night. I was hoping to start uploading over 400 photos last night, but had to wait until they opened this morning.</p>

• 2 weeks later...

<p>Last week I visited an Apple reseller and saw the 24" iMac next to a 24" Cinema LED screen .<br /> I have to be honest here: I can't tell the difference.<br /> The store employee spoke of rumors of soon to be introduced new iMac computers.<br /> Today this is old news as the new iMac's have officially been announced : 27" LED screen (!). I think it will be available somewhere next month.<br>

<br /> But having seen the elegant Cinema display with a lovely mini it does complicates things.<br /> Well at least they both have LED back lit screens. This must make the final buying decision easier (I hope).<br /> Comparing the various screens with your replies in mind solved my questions on matte vs. glossy: glossy will do fine.</p>

<p>Again, thanks for your help.<br /> (just in case anyone was wondering: I currently use an Eeepc with Picasa 2.7 and shoot RAW+jpeg anticipating an upgrade:-)</p>