Photos of car lights

marlene_l1

<p>Hi<br>

I would like to take photos of cars passing by (either on freeway or at corners) where their lights are stretched for "miles". This would be done as an early evening or evening photo, probably on a tripod. I have a Nikon D60. How is this done? I thought it might be simple, but maybe I am getting myself into something too crazy.<br>

Thanks<br>

Marlene</p>

<p>[[probably on a tripod]]</p>

<p>Not probably. Definitely.</p>

<p>I would recommend you setup your tripod and put your camera on Shutter Priority mode. Select a shutter speed and shoot. Try various shutter speeds to see what you like. If you find you'll need longer than 30 seconds, you'll need to have a remote.</p>

<p>If you don't use a tripod the effect will not be "stretched for miles" but "wiggly for miles". The latter effect has its own charms, but otherwise, tripod.</p>

<p>However, you get there, you need a long exposure. Set the ISO as low as you need to stretch out the exposure.</p>

<p>A remote will help avoid jiggling the camera/tripod as you push the shutter release.</p>

<p>Chimping along as you go is so much easier in digital. :P</p><div>00Ufws-178433584.jpg.13a8829ad6f4d6f1fb6eb581939941ad.jpg</div>

<p>The above posts are right. You most defiantly want to use a tripod, although I've cheated a few times and gotten away with putting my camera on a solid object such as a rock or a mail box on the street. <br>

Don't forget to adjust your white balance. You could set it to "Tungsten" but I prefer to take a blank white piece of paper and use it to set my white balance manually.<br>

If you want really sharp photos when you pixel peep, remember to set the mirror lock up and use the 2 second self timer or a remote.<br>

Finally, make sure to keep your ISO low in order to keep the shutter speeds long.</p>

<p>Okay, so I put my camera on "S" and I picked ISO100, but when I push the botton it keeps taking photos. Where do I change the opening or timer? Sorry for all these questions. I guess I need a step by step... But I will learn. And then I better post the photo here too so you can see the results. Thanks</p>

<p>[[but when I push the botton it keeps taking photos.]]</p>

<p>I don't know what you mean by this, Marlene. Shutter Priority is just one of the modes that photographers use. It can be used to capture any number of subjects, not just long exposure night photographs.</p>

<p>[[Where do I change the opening or timer?]]</p>

<p>With shutter priority, you are telling the camera "let me choose the shutter and you (the camera) choose the aperture." The command dial on the back of the camera (upper-right) would be used to adjust the shutter speed. The shutter speed should be displayed on the LCD while you change it. <br>

<br /> You may need to read over that part of your user manual to familiarize yourself with the controls of your camera.</p>

<p> </p>

In S (shutter priority) the longest available shutter speed is 30 sec. In M (manual) you would select the aperture, the smallest you have, and B or BULB for the shutter speed. In BULB the shutter will stay open as long as you hold down the shutter button or remote shutter release if you have one.
James G. Dainis

<p>If there is much traffic at all, you probably won't need too long of an exposure (but still long enough for a tripod to get continuous smooth trails). If there is very scant traffic, then the ambient exposure may be such that you over expose or end up with too short a time for long enough trails. To help get in the ballpark, try watching the traffic and counting. If you count to say 5, and there have been a number of cars pass and they were close enough together to cover the same spots a couple of times, you could start there. OTOH, if starting at a signalized intersection, 5 seconds may not be long enough to get too many cars through after a new green.</p>

<p>Also, if light traffic, start the exposure before the cars enter the frame and continue until they are out - or at least consider that the trails may start/stop in the frame otherwise.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Okay, so I put my camera on "S" and I picked ISO100, but when I push the botton it keeps taking photos. Where do I change the opening or timer? Sorry for all these questions. I guess I need a step by step... But I will learn. And then I better post the photo here too so you can see the results. Thanks</p>

</blockquote>

<p>You're on the right track. You just need a few adjustments.</p>

<p>Exposure Mode: M<br /> Shutter Speed: 15 seconds (careful, not 1/15th of a second)<br /> Aperture: f/16<br /> ISO: 100<br /> Long exposure noise reduction: On<br /> High ISO noise reduction: Off<br /> White Balance: Auto or Daylight<br /> Auto ISO: Off</p>

<p>Make sure that there's something in frame that the camera can focus on, or it won't let you press the shutter button all the way.</p>

<p>Hit the button and let the magic happen.</p>

<p>Experiment with longer and shorter shutter speeds. Between 10 and 20 seconds should give the best results.</p>

<p>Note: Exposure Mode "S" (Shutter Priority) is NOT going to work well, because it will attempt to make your image as bright as though you took it in daylight. You don't want a BRIGHT image; you want a DARK image with nice bright lights in it. With Exposure Mode "M" you control how much light the camera has access to.</p>

<p> </p>