"Nikon MD-12 and NiMH or Lithium AA Batteries?"

brad_herman1

<p >All;<br /><br />I just picked up a used MD-12 for my Nikon FM3a. The instruction manual indicates that you need eight "AA" Alkaline Batteries to operate it. <br /><br />I'm fine using Alkalines, but I have a couple dozen 1.2v Maha Powerex 2700 MaH NiMH Batteries as well as a bunch of 1.2v Energizer Lithium "AA" Batteries.<br /><br />Can any of these be used in the MD-12? Any Pros or Cons with each type?</p>

<p > I downloaded the Nikonians Battery Guide for Nikon Products, and it states that for the MD-12 use "AA" Alkalines or Rechargeable. What sort of rechargeable? When the MD-12 came out, I'm sure that only NiCad were available, but NiCads are inferior technology by todays standards.<br /><br />I certainly don't want to damage the circuitry.<br /><br />Brad</p>

<p>The lithiums and NiMH will work. I've tried 'em in my MD-12, no problems. But there's no advantage over using alkalines. In the MD-12 (and MD-4 for the F3), alkalines will last a helluva long time so they're very cost effective. I never bothered with NiCads for the usual reasons - darned things were too unreliable, finicky about recharging, didn't last long enough between charges.</p>

<p>BTW, you should save your lithium AA's for backups or emergencies. They'll keep for years in storage. I bought a bunch of 'em on sale in the late 1990s. The last set I finally used a couple of years ago was still good. Probably should have saved 'em for my small flashlights.</p>

<p>I've used lithiums in mine. They work very well, are very light, and will last a LONG time.</p>

<p>When the MD-12 instruction manual was written, the only AA batteries available were zinc-carbon, alkaline, and NiCad. The zinc-carbon batteries would probably work for awhile, but wouldn't give very good performance. So that instruction manual is basically saying don't use zinc-carbon batteries.</p>

<p>The MD-12 doesn't have very advanced electronics, and the batteries don't power the camera's meter. The batteries are just used to power the motor itself. So a bit of voltage variation doesn't make a huge difference; it can change the speed of winding, but that's about all you'll notice. So go ahead and experiment with whatever battery types you want to try. The worst that will happen is that the motor drive will be a bit slow.</p>

<p>Lithiums in mine also. It feels much lighter to me but most of that is perception - I know my wallet is lighter. 1.5 volt alkalines drop to ~1.3 volts fairly early in the discharge curve. Lithiums have a better discharge curve but they will appear to die all of a sudden so I would suggest keeping a spare set if you absolutely need to use the drive.</p>